• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My brother just bought a 70 Buick GSX and....

Aussie Coronet

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
he's created this website,

http://www.gsxstage1.com

As you will see, he's echoing a claim that it's the greatest muscle car of all time and it is my god given duty as a brother to smash his claim into tiny bits as soon as possible!

He has created a table attributing points to certain things that 'make a muscle car' and of course, the GSX comes out on top. I would like to catch him at his own game and topple the Buick from the top.

Any ideas? I offered up the Plymouth Superbird but he debunked it as being too limited in production to qualify,,,,yeah right. So what is out there that I can apply to his little chart and crush him?

I'm guessing we won't be able to beat him on HP or Torque and maybe even 1/4 mile times but surely there is a piece of MOPAR muscle out there that can catch up in the other areas?

Help me out so I can drop him down a peg...or three!

Looks like someone has way, way too much time on their hands. I'd just say "whatever" and walk away. I like the Skylarks. Which is what he has. But who gets more attention? Every show I go to it's the Mopars

Well,

For starters, He lists the 'Cuda's and Challenger's as 'ponycars'. While the styling may lean that way, these cars were actually built on B-body platforms which as you are aware, are intermediates. The only difference was a shorter wheelbase. Most other 'ponycars' were built around compact platforms e.g., Mustang-Falcon, Camaro-Nova. The E-body 'Cuda's and Challenger's were much larger in comparison to true ponycars. Mopars only true ponycar would be the early (pre-1970) A-body Barracudas.

So, if you factor that into the equation, It puts a lot of Mopars on the list as 'contenders'.

BTW - Those AMC Rebels and Machines that he claims have "not enough motor" would put a serious hurtin' on a lot of other cars.

Can't say I ever remember when I was a kid hearing, "I sure wish I had Buick". It was either a Mopar, or one of the other two.

Only Buick I can say I ever considered was a 86 or 87 Grand National or the GNX.

Cudas and Challengers weren't built on the B body platform. They were A bodies for 1st and 2nd generation, then they were E bodies. In 71 the B bodies became stretched E bodies. So in reality 71 up B's are E's, but E's were never B's

I HAD a 70 Buick Skylark GS 455. Not a Stage 1, or a GSX, but I kicked the **** out of alot of 454 Chevelles! They were torque monsters. I'd still take one over Chebys any day!

I'll say this, you will need a big gun to take on a properly running GS Stage 1 Buick. He builds a good argument but an A12 Road Runner or Super Bee comes to mind, or anything with a six pack. A good six pack has been known to out run a HEMI in the quarter. Keep in mind some of these old drag tests were done with cars that were "tweaked" a bit.

I HAD a 70 Buick Skylark GS 455. Not a Stage 1, or a GSX, but I kicked the **** out of alot of 454 Chevelles! They were torque monsters. I'd still take one over Chebys any day!

I'll second that!

Cudas and Challengers weren't built on the B body platform. They were A bodies for 1st and 2nd generation, then they were E bodies. In 71 the B bodies became stretched E bodies. So in reality 71 up B's are E's, but E's were never B's

Huh?

'70 and up 'Cudas and Challengers were never built on A-body platforms. they were derivitives of the B-body. Chrysler did this intentionally to make fitting a big block easier.

'69 and down Barracudas were A-bodies and to the best of my knowledge there were no Challengers before '70.

Aside form slight wheelbase changes, B-bodies didn't really change very much over the years untill the '73 model year. The whole platform was re-designed and they went to the isolated subframe and a wierd upper control arm which if my memory serves me, was a real PITA to do an alignment on.

Actually I misspoke. I shouldn't have mentioned challengers in the first sentence. If you compare a 70 B body (especially in the firewall area) and a 70 E body you will see they aren't much alike. You cannot say that about the 71 up B bodies however. Those have more in common with an E body than a 70 E body has in common with a 70 B.

I had a 72 455 GS convert. Factory 4 speed. I loved that car until some fool made me a ridiculous offer at a weak moment.

OK so your bro wants to compare a GSX, yup,cool car but even most GM lovers would put an LS6 chevelle on the list above that. how bout a hemi powered anything that would make that look like a grocery getter. Idont care if it is fast, Buicks look like and are "old man cars" notice he had to start a site so that shows how popular they are. sorry bro but my opinion.

OK so your bro wants to compare a GSX, yup,cool car but even most GM lovers would put an LS6 chevelle on the list above that. how bout a hemi powered anything that would make that look like a grocery getter. Idont care if it is fast, Buicks look like and are "old man cars" notice he had to start a site so that shows how popular they are. sorry bro but my opinion.

Stage 1 was/is faster than a LS-6

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

OK;I grew up(?) in "Buick-town",so here's my take:
I've ridden in and driven in many truly stout 60's and 70's era musclecars-stock cars,not "tweaked". The two baddest,flat out torque-iest cars I have been in were a '70 Stage I GSX that a friend of mine used to own,and a '69 A12 RR that a guy I kind of knew back in my Detroit area days had. Bar none. I've been in an LS-6 Chevelle(real close in performance),'69 428 CJ Mustang,a Hemi Challenger('71),'70-1/2 RAIII Firebird(scary fast!) and a W-30 Olds-and some small-block cars that would have scared them!. All scary quick and fast,but the first two mentioned were,IMO,superior. I've also been in a '70 Stage II equipped GSX(dealer installed stuff-this car is RARE,with that and other options),and though faster,did not seem "quicker".

I'm sure we all remember the 1980's Buick vs. Hemi saga(I knew a couple of the "players").and what transpired. I don't know if that issue was ever settled to anyone's satisfaction.

I also rode in a Ferrari F40 at about 150mph down Telegraph Rd. one Sunday morning many years ago,but that's a whole 'nother story-and I can't be too particular on the details. 'Twas a blast,though...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

OK;I grew up(?) in "Buick-town",so here's my take:
I've ridden in and driven in many truly stout 60's and 70's era musclecars-stock cars,not "tweaked". The two baddest,flat out torque-iest cars I have been in were a '70 Stage I GSX that a friend of mine used to own,and a '69 A12 RR that a guy I kind of knew back in my Detroit area days had. Bar none. I've been in an LS-6 Chevelle(real close in performance),'69 428 CJ Mustang,a Hemi Challenger('71),'70-1/2 RAIII Firebird(scary fast!) and a W-30 Olds-and some small-block cars that would have scared them!. All scary quick and fast,but the first two mentioned were,IMO,superior. I've also been in a '70 Stage II equipped GSX(dealer installed stuff-this car is RARE,with that and other options),and though faster,did not seem "quicker".

I'm sure we all remember the 1980's Buick vs. Hemi saga(I knew a couple of the "players").and what transpired. I don't know if that issue was ever settled to anyone's satisfaction.

Sounds like this needs to be settled - again. Time for a GS Stage 1 vs. A12 showdown! (insert spaghetti western music here).

Even though i'm not a Buick kind of guy, I still give the cat credit...Instead of dedicating his time and effort to a good ol' american muscle car, he could be contaminating the internet with a bunch of plastic foreign junk with press on wheels.

As far as his chart...All I can do is sit back and chuckle a bit. I mean the guy wouldn't be just a little bit bias or anything? Obviously it could be argued from every angle....Mopar, GM or the Ford nuts.

Even though i'm not a Buick kind of guy, I still give the cat credit...Instead of dedicating his time and effort to a good ol' american muscle car, he could be contaminating the internet with a bunch of plastic foreign junk with press on wheels.

As far as his chart...All I can do is sit back and chuckle a bit. I mean the guy wouldn't be just a little bit bias or anything? Obviously it could be argued from every angle....Mopar, GM or the Ford nuts.

Thanks for all the input guys, yeah, I think the charts a tad biased but by the looks of it, it's one hell of a car! Might have to get some 500+ cube stroker to keep my bro's ego in check!

I think even though he may have us on some speed I think u could argue build quality to your favor,like why do all gm's and fords leave parts all over the track every time they run,and yeah our cars break as well but not like the other 2,and an A12 shootout or Hemi cuda shootout is a great idea, I am also a biased mopar or no car guy though.

Absolutly agree its just as cool as a mopar when compared to import crap.. But if you put an A-12 a hemi cuda and a gs in a coolness contest ,,,,well lets just say buick only really had the one car. and it still looks likes dads. However I can appreciate his passion and hope he loves his car. Idon't MOPARORNOCAR!!

Auto Transport Service
Back