• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Buddy in Newfoundland having a very bad day.

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Left home for 17 minutes, managed to save his skid steer (seen in the first picture) that was parked tight behind the hangar while the building was fully engulfed.

Figures his brand new 2023 Four Stroke Ski Doo started it, just sitting there under it's cover. Lost the hangar, his fully refurbished Maule M5, floats, skis, tools, everything.

2nd hangar fire that I know of caused by an idle Ski Doo in the past 5 years.
gerryhangarfire3.jpg

gerryhangarfire.jpg

gerryhangarfire4.jpg
gerryhangarfire5.jpg

Dang that sucks! What is the issue with SkiDoo that they are igniting? I hope he had insurance.

I did some googling, there are recalls on some Ski Doos for catching fire. His hadn't run since Saturday. Just before he left today he lifted up the rear of the sled with a track lifter. When he came back he arrived to picture #1 with the skid steer still behind the building.

Insurance was there late this afternoon "total loss'.. NO ****.

He had just taken his hull insurance off the airplane for Winter storage, something I NEVER do.

Told him he needs an expert, or the fire marshal to determine that the ski doo started the fire and then sue Bombardier for anything the insurance company isn't paying for. Airplane is worth 200K +.

Here's my last buddies mess. Parked a sled under the wing and went for lunch..
burtrebeland172.jpg

Sorry to see that for sure but at least other buildings did not light up... The father of my ex girlfriend in high school lost a Massive Historic family barn due to fire over the summer. He had over a million dollars in carriages in it and all kinds of show harness and other tack. He is Vietnam Vet and got all but a few carriages out until his face blistered from the heat. Horrible to see these types of losses.

Last edited:
Cabin has some melted and scorched siding. Thankfully he got the skid steer away from the hangar, as when the wall started leaning out towards the cabin he jumped on it and pushed the wall in on thing vs just letting it fall out or they probably would have lost the cabin as well.

All their hunting and fishing gear, outboard motors, etc also in the hangar. Sled was parked right under a wing... same as the scenario above.
gerryairplane.jpg

People down the road had their shed start on fire last week, lost 4 restored vintage tractors that I know of. Our other friends house went in the spring. Thankfully nobody was hurt, that's the most important thing.
After that the insurance is the worst part, try documenting everything you have. I couldn't and I don't have much. Good luck and God bless.

Good Lord...at least no human critters went crispy, anyways.

I did some googling, there are recalls on some Ski Doos for catching fire. His hadn't run since Saturday. Just before he left today he lifted up the rear of the sled with a track lifter. When he came back he arrived to picture #1 with the skid steer still behind the building.

Insurance was there late this afternoon "total loss'.. NO ****.

He had just taken his hull insurance off the airplane for Winter storage, something I NEVER do.

Told him he needs an expert, or the fire marshal to determine that the ski doo started the fire and then sue Bombardier for anything the insurance company isn't paying for. Airplane is worth 200K +.

Here's my last buddies mess. Parked a sled under the wing and went for lunch..
View attachment 1573102
I don’t know the ins and outs of Canadian Insurance contracts - But in the US if they can prove the snow machine started the fire his insurance wouldn’t be on the hook for a dime. Either the mfg or the distributor of the snow machine would be writing the checks.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, Wayne. Fire loss is terrible. When I was on VFD, I saw a few people lose their shops by having their motorhomes plugged into battery chargers overnight. To this day, I will not run a battery charger overnight, or when I am away.

Sorry to hear it, Wayne. Fire loss is terrible. When I was on VFD, I saw a few people lose their shops by having their motorhomes plugged into battery chargers overnight. To this day, I will not run a battery charger overnight, or when I am away.
I walked into my boat batteries gassing so bad I almost passed out, they were really hot when I moved them outside. Probably should have left them but, I was in preserve everything mode. Last time I ever used a 12amp charge.

Why I'll NEVER quit telling guys here to stop running trickle chargers and leaving battery chargers on overnight in their shops.

Here is the barn fire I mentioned.. There was foam insulation in the rafters and such. It floated on fire for 1/4 mile… Thankfully no other fires started.

IMG_6908.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back