• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

Still have not had the time to put in much work the charger but I have picked, here and there, on some little things. I cleaned and brightened up the front running lights and installed new lenses.
IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

I have still been spending time behind the buffer. Re-polishing all of the chrome has taken a lot of time but the chrome is looking good.
IMG_1873.JPG

I did help my son on his project (64 Galaxie)
IMG_1860.JPG

I think I wore him our. "Dreaming of future drives."
IMG_1866.JPG

Some FINE work throughout this thread showard ! I'll be checking on further progress and looking at your window install work again soon !

Some FINE work throughout this thread showard ! I'll be checking on further progress and looking at your window install work again soon !
Thanks, I have been enjoying your thread up there in the cold. We haven't got any snow yet this year. It has been a warm dry winter here.

Do you think the mounting sheet for fans could be to restrictive? Looks like it may block to much air flow to me.
image1-jpg.jpg

image2-2-jpg.jpg

When I put my electric fan shroud on my radiator many of us noticed how close the shroud and fans were to the radiator and wondered if it would allow enough air flow. I was concerned and wanted to find out if I was doing it right. I looked at the Performance Cooling installation videos and other Performance Cooling customer projects and they were all close and closed like mine. I sent some pictures to them and asked for their advice. They were good to reply fast. Here is their reply:

"Sherman,

You're doing everything right and I know it looks close but it supposed to be like that. I will do my best and try to explain.

We did some wind tunnel research and tests on are original shroud that was 1.25" spacing to see if needed louvers as we used to have those on them too. Results showed that the air flowed through the core and as it came out it was sucked out by the fans. So we eliminated the louvers for better suction from behind shroud. After that we did another test and found air flow was disturbed and didn't go immediately through fans. So we changed the gap to 75" and what happened there is instead of allowing the air to build up behind shroud with the shroud closure it creates more pressure and accelerates the air flow and actually causes air to speed up and right out through fans.

Hopefully that makes sense

Tony Martin
Performance Cooling"

It sounds like they did their testing and seems to work the way they have set it up.

That's why sometimes it pays to ask! Sounds like your good to go! This months Hot Rod had a good article in the back about a mopar cooling problem. Good info to read.
What engine is in the Ford, 289?

That's why sometimes it pays to ask! Sounds like your good to go! This months Hot Rod had a good article in the back about a mopar cooling problem. Good info to read.
What engine is in the Ford, 289?
Thanks, I will read that article.
The Ford has a 390 with a C-6 tranny. They are ready to drop back in as soon as we get a couple things ready for it.
I always liked the 64 Galaxie. It is the first car I learned to drive. It had a 390 with 3 on the tree and overdrive. It is still in my dad's yard waiting to be resurrected some day.

Thanks, I will read that article.
The Ford has a 390 with a C-6 tranny. They are ready to drop back in as soon as we get a couple things ready for it.
I always liked the 64 Galaxie. It is the first car I learned to drive. It had a 390 with 3 on the tree and overdrive. It is still in my dad's yard waiting to be resurrected some day.
We need more Galaxie pics!

63-64 galaxies are one of my favorites! Thats a great looking project for your son. Its nice to see someone so young into these cars.

150hp will be PLENTY for the Citabria! My family is "plagued" with aviation too! My grandpa flew P51's in WW2, my dad was a career pilot/A&P, and I've been a production test pilot at Beechcraft for the past 13 years. The first flight off the assembly line or out of major maintenance is a special one!

Also, your thread is a great one! I've enjoyed watching you figure things out and improvise.

150hp will be PLENTY for the Citabria! My family is "plagued" with aviation too! My grandpa flew P51's in WW2, my dad was a career pilot/A&P, and I've been a production test pilot at Beechcraft for the past 13 years. The first flight off the assembly line or out of major maintenance is a special one!

Also, your thread is a great one! I've enjoyed watching you figure things out and improvise.
Sounds like an aviation family. One of my dads main dreams would be to fly a P51. ( Just like many of us I'm sure).

I went to Oshkosh in the early 80s. I walked through the Concord SST, & saw it take off. Lot's of P51s with the Packard & RR engines. At that time it was 300$ to go for a quick ride in one. That was about 2 weeks pay back then, a lot of money to me. So I was content to sit at the end of the strip and listen to them take off.

I went to Oshkosh in the early 80s. I walked through the Concord SST, & saw it take off. Lot's of P51s with the Packard & RR engines. At that time it was 300$ to go for a quick ride in one. That was about 2 weeks pay back then, a lot of money to me. So I was content to sit at the end of the strip and listen to them take off.
I was sad when they stopped flying the Concords.

I was sad when they stopped flying the Concords.
Yeah, that was a shame. Such a popular plane for both travelers (who could afford it) and aviation buffs on the ground. Air France didn't really care if it flew or not, but British Airways wanted to keep it flying; it was profitable for them. Unfortunately, they had no choice in the matter as Airbus flatly stated that they would no longer be providing spare parts and servicing for the Concorde after 2003.

I got the rear seats out of storage and started getting the frames cleaned and ready for the new material.
As you can see, sometime in my car's life, the 68 seats got traded out for 69 seats.
IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

These seat frames were thrashed. It looks like they were just ripped out of the car without un-clipping them. The back rest is bent almost in half and the bottom seat is also bent up.
IMG_1915.JPG

No build sheet!
IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

A little tweaked but decent shape otherwise. I had to do some spot welding on the frame of mine. Otherwise looking good!

Auto Transport Service
Back