• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

Thanks Don,
The safety latch does fit, latches correctly and it’s perfectly painted.
upload_2019-10-20_14-44-37.jpeg

your welcome, it looked like your old latch and pull were flat black, and i was painting a few flat parts anyway, so i threw it in with the rest. glad it fits. and watch your head around those things, i wacked mine on that thing once and that was enough.

Still trying to fine tune things. I still hadn’t figured how to get my transmission to kick down so I decided to drive it to town and have the transmission shop check it over and make the settings and adjustments needed. Just as I was pulling off the interstate it coughed sputtered and died. I coasted off and could not get it started. I thought maybe my distributor slipped setting but could not get it to run. I had to get it towed to the shop. It was hard to see her on the tow truck.
They found out that the pickup coil went bad in my distributor. They also got my transmission kick down to work correctly. She now seems to be running and working well.

your welcome, it looked like your old latch and pull were flat black, and i was painting a few flat parts anyway, so i threw it in with the rest. glad it fits. and watch your head around those things, i wacked mine on that thing once and that was enough.

Should have painted it day glow orange for him!:D

Still trying to fine tune things. I still hadn’t figured how to get my transmission to kick down so I decided to drive it to town and have the transmission shop check it over and make the settings and adjustments needed. Just as I was pulling off the interstate it coughed sputtered and died. I coasted off and could not get it started. I thought maybe my distributor slipped setting but could not get it to run. I had to get it towed to the shop. It was hard to see her on the tow truck.
They found out that the pickup coil went bad in my distributor. They also got my transmission kick down to work correctly. She now seems to be running and working well.

bummer but glad they helped get things sorted

showard, just finished reading your story, fantastic job!!! you should be very proud of your work, beautiful car... thanks for sharing......Rich

Rear end gear ratio:

My car hasn’t Had the takeoff power that I was expecting it would have with this new rebuilt 440 that seems to sound and run good. I was thinking that some of that might have to do with my rear end gear ratio. I remembered when I cleaned and painted the rear end that it still had the ratio tag on it and that it was a low number. 2.76.

Most of you have more experience and knowledge than I do. What would some of you suggest would be good all around gears for play and highway travel?
upload_2019-11-10_13-41-18.jpeg

3.55's or 3.23's are good all around gears. What is your rear tire height?

I don't really like my 3.55s with my 275 60R15s. Pulls nicely but revs close to 3400rpm at 60mph. The engine runs well but just seems to scream on the highway where most of my driving is done. I'm tempted to swap some 3.23s that I have, but I'm not sure it would make a significant difference.

3.55's or 3.23's are good all around gears. What is your rear tire height?
I have 225/50 R 17's, 26" dia.
I am still thinking that in the future I will put a little bigger tires on the rear because I still have plenty of room.

If you're going to be on the highway a lot, 3.23's are the way to go. As others have said, the 3.55's rev a bit if you keep up w today's traffic. I like my 3.55's though, and I'm happy at 60-65 mph. No tach, I just listen to it sing.

I don't really like my 3.55s with my 275 60R15s. Pulls nicely but revs close to 3400rpm at 60mph. The engine runs well but just seems to scream on the highway where most of my driving is done. I'm tempted to swap some 3.23s that I have, but I'm not sure it would make a significant difference.
I guess that is what is nice thing about these 2.76s. It seems to cruse 80 mph on the highway without revving high.

If you're going to be on the highway a lot, 3.23's are the way to go. As others have said, the 3.55's rev a bit if you keep up w today's traffic. I like my 3.55's though, and I'm happy at 60-65 mph. No tach, I just listen to it sing.
I would have to make myself be patient and not try to keep up with today's traffic.

I guess that is what is nice thing about these 2.76s. It seems to cruse 80 mph on the highway without revving high.
When I quit racing my last 70RR I took out a 4.88 and put in a 2.76 to drive on the street a little., that was about 1980. It had a 440, big cam, 12.5 pistons, ect., 4spd, and idled at 60mph in 4th, hehe.. I'd leave the 2.76 in unless you want to race a lot.

Last edited:
When I quit racing my last 70RR I took out a 4.88 and put in a 2.76 to drive on the street a little., that was about 1980. It had a 440, big cam, 12.5 pistons, ect., 4spd, and idled at 60mph in 4th, hehe.. I'd leave the 2.76 in unless you want to race a lot.
One thing I left out about my 2.76 experiment is that on paper I calculated top speed of 200mph, without figuring in for drag. It's probably a good gear for the standing mile races.

I've been working on my front running lights/turn signals and was thinking that they should to be on with the headlights. I've seen pics of chargers with them on and off with headlights on. So I remembered this pic of yours and I see that they're not on. Mine only come on in the mid position of the switch. I'm guessing that is how they're supposed to work?, maybe just on 68s..

Last edited:
I've been working on my front running lights/turn signals and was thinking that they should to be on with the headlights. I've seen pics of chargers with them on and off with headlights on. So I remembered this pic of yours and I see that they're not on. Mine only come on in the mid position of the switch. I'm guessing that is how they're supposed to work?, maybe just on 68s..
I thought that I did something wrong. I also wanted them to be on with the headlights. Mine also come on in the mid position running light switch so maybe that is how it was for the 68's.

I thought that I did something wrong. I also wanted them to be on with the headlights. Mine also come on in the mid position running light switch so maybe that is how it was for the 68's.

My '69 is like that too. I swear it was different before the restoration where they were on with the headlights but maybe i am suffering from CRS... ;-)

Auto Transport Service
Back