• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Christmas gift wouldn't fit down the chimney

Mark,

Engine assembly date (EAD): 4 ? - April ?, 1969. I cannot see the next digit(s) on the stamp pad in the picture. I am going to guess 2?.

The RH engine pad shows E383, with a 4 below. Is there another number that I should look for?

Thanks for the info. While I did get a set of manifolds with the car, they are not the originals. The left manifold has a casting date of February '68 & the right manifold doesn't seem to have the same style casting date & I can't tell what it is. So, I guess I'm on the hunt for some correctly dated manifolds. What date range should I be looking for, March - April?

RC- I hope that you are wearing a good respirator when dealing with those brakes. Original brake shoes contained asbestos and if the dust is inhaled can cause serious, fatal lung damage (mesothelioma). Be careful!!!!

I pulled my shirt up over my nose. :thumbsup:

The EAD is a month and day format. I would expect to see the day in April the engine was assembled on the pad. It may a lite stamp but should be there.

February or March dated exhaust manifolds would be most correct for your car.

D

Thanks Mark & Big D for all of the pic's & explanations.

I've gotten to be a junkie on decoding these. Mark you should build a timeline of all of the parts in date order so we can see how this beauty all came together.

Big congrat's to you on such a beautiful time capsule!

RC- I hope that you are wearing a good respirator when dealing with those brakes. Original brake shoes contained asbestos and if the dust is inhaled can cause serious, fatal lung damage (mesothelioma). Be careful!!!!
Not to make light of that, but how many thousands of us routinely did brake jobs back in the day
without a second thought and had that crap all over us all the time?
Brakleen cured everything. :)

The EAD is a month and day format. I would expect to see the day in April the engine was assembled on the pad. It may a lite stamp but should be there.

D

I'll check for additional numbers later on today.

:thumbsup:

I live in the next town over from raybestos which was in stratford ct. I remember they had a green pond out in the front from all the pollution. Raybestos polluted stratford heavily. I have friends that live there and when they were kids they used to play in the dirt piles loaded with the dust. When the factory was demolished it was a superfund site. Now it's a shopping plaza. They still have a softball team called the breaketts.
Not to make light of that, but how many thousands of us routinely did brake jobs back in the day
without a second thought and had that crap all over us all the time?
Brakleen cured everything. :)

In high school autoshop class they taught us to use a blowgun to blow the brakes off until the dust was gone,then dismantle the brakes.

In high school autoshop class they taught us to use a blowgun to blow the brakes off until the dust was gone,then dismantle the brakes.

My brother is a mechanic, and used to blow the dust off the brakes with air when he started in the repair business at 18 years old, he is 65 now. No ill effects from the brake dust yet. I still worry about him getting the big C

I pulled off all 4 wheels to inspect the brakes and much to my surprise, I found that the drums have never been off as you can see by the factory retainers. Once the drums were off and the excess brake dust was cleaned off, I could see that they were indeed the original brakes by the tan color of the shoes once some brake clean was sprayed on....

View attachment 1047336

View attachment 1047337

View attachment 1047338

View attachment 1047339

We’re only the original shoes tan? I’ve never heard that but believe I have a set that are tan. I’ve had them for 30+ years and never got around to installing them.

As long as RC isn't licking the brake shoes anymore,he should be fine,but you know he is,sometimes he cannot help himself!

It looks like a tribute car to me. You don't have enough paperwork for proof.
.:lol:

It looks like a tribute car to me. You don't have enough paperwork for proof.
.You can dress Cinderella up, but that doesn't mean she's going to the ball! All kidding aside, Mark scored another time capsule!
.:lol:

I live in the next town over from raybestos which was in stratford ct. I remember they had a green pond out in the front from all the pollution. Raybestos polluted stratford heavily. I have friends that live there and when they were kids they used to play in the dirt piles loaded with the dust. When the factory was demolished it was a superfund site. Now it's a shopping plaza. They still have a softball team called the breaketts.
They made the best brakes, too. :)
Well, them and EIS....

Front brakes look just as good.

16093665485527326713254072731407.jpg

D
It reads...
E383
4 25. 2
HP

PXL_20201230_235927473.jpg

Do I correctly assume that this is the date code on the alternator....

PXL_20201230_231628325.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back