• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY engine wont run as cool as i like

Did you know that original Mopar antifreze has a sealant addative in it a good block , head sealer anti freze addative helped some of my overheating problems a add on electrtic fan also helps push air thru the radiator wene your stuck in traffic a cheap $30.00 investment now mine never runs over 195 deg.

I Believe you have a Crossover Blocked.If this Engine has set for a time it is a BIG problem that the sediments of the block fall down inside the crossovers and no matter how big of a pump/radiator you have you will NEVER keep it cool...Also I put an Additive in(Cant think of the name right off but can buy at any local Walmart/Auto Parts Store)...The Additive helps Lubricate the Engine/Pump/Radiator and Keeps seals from drying out.I ALSO Use the Water Wetter But REMEMBER as is stated right on the Bottle if you are using this in a geographical location where it freezes GET IT OUT IN WINTER...It Will Decrease the Freezing point of the 50/50.ALSO alot of people think that Straight Anti-Freeze will help you out and it WILL FREEZE Straight(100%).ALSO What Pressure Cap are you using?AND is it new and sealing correctly?Alot of times Ive seen where the seal on the cap isnt working and therefore the pressure in the system will not flow correctly..

SS

It's a big block so the only "crossover" it has is the pump housing.

If you ever FILLED a Block you would know exactly what I'm trying to say in 10 minutes.The Build Up aroung the Water Input in the front and the Area around the Cylinders Will Rust to a degree that no water can get in or out..

ALSO the location of your Temp Gauge means alot.Is it a Full Manual Gauge or a Stock Style Gauge?

SS

Ok...wanna be picky? The location of the "gauge" doesn't matter. However, the location of the SENDER might well be of a concern. But unless you want to try to install one in the side of the block or modify a head to install one, there is really only one spot for the sender to go, and that's in the water pump housing.

Are there bubbles

Have you tried starting the car with the radiator cap off to see if there are bubbles rising out of the coolant in the radiator?

I'm not super familiar with big blocks, but I had a head gasket go in my 1987 318 dodge ram truck. No smoke out the tail pipe or loss of coolant or oil, but the damn thing would overheat like crazy. I tried everything, water pump, radiator cap, thermostat, intake gaskets to ensure crossover was not blocked(smallblock). Finally I put new head gaskets in. End of problems. If hot exhaust gasses found their way into the coolant it might heat things up in the cooling system a bit.

Alot of good Theories here guys, Some I haven't thought of myself.. My 65' Satellite (440) started overheating as well.. Thought for sure it had to be the radiator since I haven't check it out since I bought her. sent it in to a local shop, they told me it flows as if it were new (Say Way??) Replaced fan clutch, still overheating..grrrr. Started digging deeper and found a old two cent 160 t-stat in the housing.. Should have check that first!!! I pretty sure that's my Culprit. I got a new Mr Gasket 180. keep you posted as to what I find out after I finish putting some engine parts back on!!

Engine cooling 101

Copied this from Mopar Style Web site, a good white paper.

Overheating-boring white paper

I have been overrun with calls from people about overheating, so I put some thoughts down- maybe it will help somebody- it's on the fugly racing site, but here;s a copy:
It's about 186 degrees everywhere and I'm getting calls/noticing posts on cooling problems, so this is to take a stab at some helpful hints.....as always I am not responsible for my demented sense of humor or anybody failing to stop the engine to change the fanbelt or otherwise modifying their physical or mental condition...
First off, you DO want a certain amount of heat in your engine-technically, from a strictly book position, you want to run it as hot as possible without damage. Obviously there are limits and in particular, we generally figure the damage point to be 252F. That said, a good operating range is between 175-230 degrees F. But you say, mine runs better when it's dead cold....well maybe it does, however that would point to the engine being tuned improperly- typically the carb being too lean.
NEVER EVER hammer on an engine until you have at least 150 degree temp...WHY? well because the parts inside to include bearing clearances, piston to cylinder clearance and head gasket crush change as they warm up- if you go blasting thru the neighborhood at 75 degrees engine temp, you invite piston skirt problems, oil circulation issues and if there's enough compression, blown head gaskets. I like to see no more than 220-230F running temp. Preferably a little lower, because you have no real safety zone otherwise. Don't expect you roller cam 14/71 blown big block to run at 165 degrees- the more power you make, the more heat there is to disapate.Now on to some specific hints:
If it always ran fine and now all the sudden it's too hot then before doing anything else, check the most likely culprits:
RADIATOR CAP SHOT-take it off and observe the rubber gasket. If it looks like it's not touching anything when it's installed, or the rubber ring doesn't exist, or it's all cracked and nasty-replace it. Many times this is all it takes- if there is no pressure developing, the coolant will boil earlier than normal , turn to steam and not cool effectively.
LOOSE HOSE CONNECTIONS- look for signs of coolant dribbling down the hoses or stains- again loss of pressure.
LOOSE fanbelt-Typically will squeal, but not always- if it slips, the water pump is not spinning properly
OTHER LEAKS=self explanatory////Ok you say whaddaboutusguys that just built it and itnoworky........
First off narrow down the problem- does it run hot (1) ONLY AT IDLE? (2) ONLY AT HIGHWAY SPEED? (3) ALL THE TIME?
If its (1) ONLY AT IDLE, you more than likely have a fan problem, as that is basically the only thing moving the air across the radiator at that point.Logic here is once the car is moving the air flowing thru the grill is keeping you cool. If it's a clutch fan, spin it by hand (WITH THE ENGINE OFF) and note how much it turns before it stops- more than a turn or so and it's time to buy a new one ...not that?- do you have a fan shroud and is the fan properly located in it?
The shroud is designed to force the air to follow a path thru the radiator-cool air from the front across the radiator-without one, you are likely just stirring up the hot air underhood and wasting a large part of the fans ability to cool. The fan should be located +/- about 1" from centered in the rear opening-too far back and you lose the effect, too far forward and you create negative vortexes and actually "stall" the airflow. While on the fan subject, a high quality clutch fan is usually your best bet as it somewhat freewheels at high speed saving power and self destruction.
Another one of my favorites is the notion of taking off the mechanical fan in favor of an electric one. While there are cases (no space engine swaps) where this may be the only option, there is usually no good reason for this on the street in my opinion.Why would I say that? Well, you are giving yourself another reason to be dead on the side of the road- if the engine is running, a mechanical fan is turning- an electric one may give up at any time, leaving you with no low speed cooling. But, you say , I am saving HP- not necessarily. Nothing is for free- in the case of a drag car with no alternator or a cut off, yea, but on a street car, the increased load is directly on the alternator which in turn takes more HP to spin, thereby negating most or all of your perceived gain. IF you must use that method, get a good high cfm fan=the little 69;95 jobs don't move enough ait to cool a lawnmower.
If it's not the fan, did you install a fancy big water pump pulley to save HP? If so, take it off and try your stock one-many times the reduced speed caused by these pulleys not only slows the fan down but also slows the water pump speed so that normal water flow becomes something akin to a lazy snail moving thru the engine causing steam pockets etc...Same thing goes for the big alternator pulley that causes your charge guage to go negative at idle...
Improper base timing- if you are not getting enough total timing, the engine will tend to run hot as much of the power is going right out the exhaust- the burn cycle initiates and therefor ends late- extreme cases can find the fuel mix still burning strong going out the exhaust, but at the very least you need more throttle for any given speed, causing the engine to work harder.
If it's not any of these, see section (3)
IF it's (2) ONLY AT SPEED, it sometimes gets more complicated...Easy things first:
Collapsing lower radiator hose- there should be a spring inside the lower hose to keep the waterpump from squeezing it flat at speed- if your lower hose is the slightest bit mushy and there's no spring, this is a good starting point-you can sometimes make a coil tightly around the outside of the hose with a coat hangar ( or the inside if you sare inclined) to test this- if it's better or fixes it, buy a hose with the spring or buy the proper one and one of the flexible hoses to steal the spring out of.
No Thermostat- very common in the South and many times causes the coolant to flow too quickly at speed , not allowing time enough to cool in the radiator- you don't have to buy one of the fancy 15 dollar restricters- simply grab one of your junk thermostats or stand in front of the parts store and beg for somebodies old one- snip the u shaped piece off and remove the guts-now install the ring in place of the thermostat.While on the subject, thermostats are generally a good idea especially in climates where there are a lot of days under 80F- they bring the engine to temp quicker.
Improper max timing- if you are not getting enough total timing, the engine will tend to run hot as much of the power is going right out the exhaust- the burn cycle initiates and therefor ends late- extreme cases can find the fuel mix still burning strong going out the exhaust, but at the very least you need more throttle for any given speed, causing the engine to work harder.If all else is fine,and you have your vacuum advance disconnected, try rehooking it and see if your problem disappears-If you built a 18:1 iron head motor go buy some decent fuel and set your timing where it belongs. If you need much less than 30-32 degrees on a Mopar to keep it from detonating, you need better fuel. Overadvancing will cause issues also , but will generally result in audible knocking.
Radiator too small- this will generally fall in number (3), but a radiator right on the edge may cause high speed only issues.
On Automatic cars, too much stall speed- If your stall speed is much above your cruise RPM, the tansmission will overheat and cuase the radiator to do more work-this will also burn up your trans.
Too small/smashed/plugged up exhaust- causes the engine to work much harder to maintain speed.Usually also results in poor performance,
Dragging brakes-same effect as above.

Mixture too lean- check your plugs after a medium range cruise (try not to idle much at the end)- if they are white or burnt looking, jet up 2-4 sizes and see what happens.
IF it's (3) ALL THE TIME- is your thermostat opening? see if the upper and lower hoses are roughly the same temp-or leave the cap off when cold (DON"T YANK IT OFF WHEN HOT) and watch to see if it circulates when it warms up. IF not, replace the thermostat (don't leave it out or throw it away-see number 2 for explanation)
Is your radiator too small? if you are using the one out of grampas Neon in your Hemi Roadrunner, it probably isn't going to work.
Is the water flowing too fast? If you took the thermostat out completely, this is possible-see (2) for possible fix
Does the front of your radiator resemble a graveyard for various flying objects? If it's full of bugs and mud, it won't cool-spray out the fins and see what happens.
Did you overbore the engine more than .040? Many times overboring .060 or bigger creates cooling problems due to inadequate heat transfer- thos 3 extra cubes are gonna cost you big bucks for a massive cooling system.
Overall Lean condition-see 1 and 2 for explanation
Weak spark- if you have a weak spark, the engine will burn erratically and can overheat as a result.
Clogged up radiator- if it came stock in your 1956 Belvedere it probably needs rodded out or re cored
Many other things can cause constant overheating such as high internal friction (inadequate clearances etc) but that will usually result in a poor running engine. Also if you are often mistaken for the mosquito fogger, your engine is laboring to burn the oil and probably won't cool properly.I am sure I've missed some important one, but maybe this will solve some problems.....

Wow!, thanks, that is a ton of great info. I am going to make a copy of this and hang it on the wall of my shop.

got her RIGHT 184-186*

better thermo 180
18" flex fan
flush the block
and the # 1 reason for the spike?????other than the reversed water pump blades????
the replacement alt was spiking the electric temp gage to read 60* f-ing degrees off geeez.... put the old one back on charges just fine
finally ran her still she spiked openend the rad cap with bare hands hot ,but not really hot ,stuck a digital thermo into the hot water and what you know 184 max with mtr running 178-180* i feel releived but kinda stupid at the same time

also changed my dart back to the orig altr and my charging spike went away with it also finally get to drive my cars and not worry to death

I don't see where you did a pressure test on the cooling system and you need to. It sounds like you have a head gasket leaking one way. Compression pushes hot gases into the cooling system. It causes one to heat up fast and run high temps. The more the engine is ran the worse it gets. What ever you do have any old radiator cleaned by a shop before you put it back.

I was also racking my brain the other night when I had a LIGHT go off...A Few Years ago We(Several of us from the area)Went to a Big Race in Clay City Kentucky(One of those Races I dont Usually like to Miss)..On the way home my one Buddys Tow Vehicle(360)Started Overheating(NEVER had this problem before.It wasnt using Water,It wasnt Getting Oil In Water/or Vice Versa.EVERYTHING was as Usual.Now we had made this same type of trip with this Vehicle before with NO Problems.He called me Up the Next Morning(Because I was Still in the Race(Super Stock)when he left)and told me what was happening.I told him it May be: Head Gasket/Thermostat/Radiator Cap/Something in the Cooling System(Rust,Silicone etc)/Bad Timing Chain Or Out Of Time/etc...
Well I went back to where he was that day and Towed his Race Car and Trailer Home with one vehicle and his Tow Vehicle with my Other Truck/Trailer.He had tried it a ways without the trailer and it was STILL getting Hot..
After SEVERAL Weeks of checking it out we FINALLY Found the Culprit...

The Electronic Pick-Up in the Distributor Screw Had Stripped out letting the ADVANCE GAP(The Timing Between the Reluctor and the Pick-Up Magnet)Be Instead of 7-11 Thousandths to 140 Thousandths....We Put a New Plate In with New Pick up etc and Everything was Back To Normal....

SS

Auto Transport Service
Back