• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY engine wont run as cool as i like

my66-67-68-69-72bbodies

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
66 CHARGER 361
new 4 row radiator(orig getting redone)160 thermostat,the correct water pump(avance sold me a reversed fan blade pump,not good)
car constanly runs around 210-220 temps . what else could it be or do these mtrs just run hot ?thanks

A fan shroud would be my first suggestion, also wouldn't hurt to check your timing. There is also an additive for your coolent called "Water Weter" that is to help run cooler.

Also i had a four row radiator had the fins too tight in it wouldn't flow air always ran hot .Check and make sure the rad has air flowing through it.

What he said. A lot of these new "super cooling" radiators don't work worth crap in our cars because the fin count is to HIGH! Don't run a radiator that has more fins per inch than what originally came in it.

been there, done that

update ...timing off 4-8 degrees added a coolant additive

getting ready to drive her around for about 1 hr to see if theres any change .
running 30% coolant ,has a shrould and is pulling a lot of air thu rad

My duster ("IT") has a 360 and had a later model Mopar radiator, electric fan, flex, and NO shroud, and would run 220+. A nice 22" (or 24" if you prefer) factory square top radiator, fan and clutch, and shroud, and it won't run 180 on a 70* day.

Did you check themostat in hot water before putting it in.Be sure it's openning all the way.

Always buy a Robert Shaw or a Mr. Gasket "high performance" (or whatever they call it) thermostat. They are built differently, are "even flow" and are much closer in configuration to what Mopars originally came with.
image_zoom.php

thermostat.jpg

still running hotter than hell

well almost everything checks out . the dash gauge reads out of the box hot and the manual gage reads 210-230 at same time ...gonna figure this gal out gonna try the orig radiator although it hasnt been re-worked yet.

Sometimes when you run to cool of a thermostat the coolant does not get a chance to stay in the radiator long enough to cool down. The flow is to quick. Try a 180 themostat and if the timing is right along with the size of the radiator it should run no more than 190-200 tops in traffic on a hot day. Run 50-50 coolant mix with the water weter.

Don't try to out trick yourself here. Go with what mother intended. I have never had a Mopar run hot when I had all the right stuff in. Stay with a 180 thermostat. Use the factory HD radiator. Thermal fan clutch. Fan shroud. I usually pick on waterpumps for A/C cars and motorhomes. The Mopar piece is nice if you want to spend the money.
Stay away from multipass radiators and "Hi-flow" waterpumps. I have never had any luck with them, the coolant moves too fast to absorb or dissapate the heat.

:banghead: Still trying to firque out what else

Need more info...is the engine fresh..how big is the engine..what fan..what ign..what carb..ect
a picture is worth a 1000 words

Here's a tip not often thought of.........

Make sure you have an inner metal spring in the lower radiator hose. This will keep the hose from collapsing(sucking shut) when the water pump spins faster at higher RPM's.

If your lower hose does not have a spring, take some stainless steel TIG welding rod and make a spring(be sure to loop the ends so the sharp end of the TIG rod does not puncture the hose).

thanks rick,

always reuse what i can,put the orig spring back in the lower hose ,i thinks me got her straighten out ....used a high flow water water hose and washed out the block and evidently from it sitting ,slugg had buildt-up and was trapping the water inside the mtr and not allowing wtr to flow...a lot of sediment pushed out after the third back wash . putting her back together as i 'm taking a break it's real humid today

well that didnt work

15 min at idle and water gage pegged....not good
gonna knock out some plugs ,or just pull the mtr and do a rebuild and magnaflux the block gotta be done or i'll burn this sucker up

Make sure your gauge is correct. Start it cold with the cap off and a candy thermometer in the water. Watch for the water to circulate and check the temp. Naturally, if the water gets hot almost immediately and/or you see bubbling and/or smoke, you may have a bad headgasket.

Was the thermostat ok.I changed mine was having the same problems.Everything o.k on mine now.Was not opening all the way.What type of fan.You say its pulling air good.On mine i can put a shop towel on the front and it will stick to radiator.Need pictures of your setup

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back