• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My fridge is leaking water into the freezer and it's not the ice maker, help please!

furious70

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
maytag french door/bottom freezer configuration fridge that has started to leak water into the freezer from some vents at the back. I've disconnected the water so it's not that. Must be the evaporation system's condensation? Every couple days it is creating a frozen pond I have to break up and remove before it starts leaking through the seal. Any ideas as to whether it can be fixed? Availability of replacement fridges that fit our space is very difficult, I'm not finding anything in stock

PXL_20220903_164842449.jpg

More than likely the condenser behind that back cover is frozen up and needs defrosting. Sometimes the automatic defrosting doesn't keep up with the ice build up especially in humid weather. Some refrigerators have a forced defrost option. Look up your make and model on YouTube and there's probably a video on how it's done. You'll find it's a common problem with your model.

My friend has a Panasonic, top French doors and the freezer drawer at the bottom. It's been a PITA every since she bought it with freezing up during the summer months. Hundreds of comments on that make with the same problem.

Most likely defrost drain tube is clogged, causes water to run inside as you described instead of going in tray underneath unit and evaporating. Goigle it, lots of videos/comments. I had same issue with mine.

I concur on the drain tube it can get plugged up with gunk need to blow it out
If it's not built in, it's time to pull it out and take some sheet metal off to expose the coils and drains. You may be shocked at how gooped up it is.

Last edited:
We had this problem with our traditional fridge with the freezer on top. The defrost tube froze up. The first time, I called a guy because I was clueless. I watched him fix it - including using my wife's hairdryer to thaw it out. The next time, I did the fix myself. After that I got smarter and made sure there's always good airflow around everything in the freezer so it doesn't freeze up again. It hasn't happened again in many years, now.

I had a label on the coil fall off and get clogged up in the drain tube. Many are in the back panel and can be gotten into from the inside.

well, I tore the back apart, the drain tube assembly seemed all fine...and dry. The little 'lip grommet' thing had some gunk on it but nothing I would think would keep it from flowing. It also seemed to have larger 'lips' like replacement ones I saw on youtube. I chipped all the ice out from the back of the inside and watched a video for how to take that all apart and defrost. I'm guessing that's what I'll end up needing to do.

I spent 90min 'inside' the freezer thurs night. The drain trough under the condenser was iced up to the condenser and the drain funnel was solid ice. Took quite awhile to break up and fish out all that and then the hairdryer on the funnel. Working correctly since then, hopefully we don't get iced up again. I did find a youtube video of a guy taking our exact model apart so that made it much easier to not be rammy and break things :thumbsup:

Saved us $2k on a new fridge we had picked out, thanks everyone.

I spent 90min 'inside' the freezer thurs night. The drain trough under the condenser was iced up to the condenser and the drain funnel was solid ice. Took quite awhile to break up and fish out all that and then the hairdryer on the funnel. Working correctly since then, hopefully we don't get iced up again. I did find a youtube video of a guy taking our exact model apart so that made it much easier to not be rammy and break things :thumbsup:

Saved us $2k on a new fridge we had picked out, thanks everyone.
Nice work! But how does the Mrs. feel about not getting that new fridge?:poke:

She likes this fridge and was also not happy about the lack of choice and dropping 2 grand. We would have had mismatched colors cuz there's nothing available

i know little to nothing about the workings and fixings of a fridge. But thank God for me that we spent a paltry $3000 on our beautiful LG black diamond fridge when we remodeled 6 years ago. This thing is like refrigerator warrior. We've only had to replace the whole compressor system 4 times in those 6 years. Does it get any better than that? I mean hell they last a whole year and a half before they die.
Of course it was out of warranty the last 2 times - So I had to beat the **** out of who ever handles that stuff back in Korea. The last time just a months ago I had the "Presidential Liason" from Birmingham, AL on the phone amd wouldn't let her off until she caved and once again paid for everything - including initial service call and food spoilage.

Moral of the story - NEVER buy a POS LG refrigerator no matter how enticing they may look.

I've bought 2 Amana bottom freezers which rollout bottom drawer. Lasted 20 years other still going but will never buy stainless show every fingerprint steel. I've got an Orangutan handed person living here.

i know little to nothing about the workings and fixings of a fridge. But thank God for me that we spent a paltry $3000 on our beautiful LG black diamond fridge when we remodeled 6 years ago. This thing is like refrigerator warrior. We've only had to replace the whole compressor system 4 times in those 6 years. Does it get any better than that? I mean hell they last a whole year and a half before they die.
Of course it was out of warranty the last 2 times - So I had to beat the **** out of who ever handles that stuff back in Korea. The last time just a months ago I had the "Presidential Liason" from Birmingham, AL on the phone amd wouldn't let her off until she caved and once again paid for everything - including initial service call and food spoilage.

Moral of the story - NEVER buy a POS LG refrigerator no matter how enticing they may look.
Whirlpool is my way to go.

Think WP and AMANA are made same place they are the same company. WPool also makes Maytag, Kitchen Aid and a couple of others. Probably quality levels change with brand.
Our good friends have been in the appliance 'warehouse' business for years....and you are correct. There's the full-on chinese brands like Samsung, LG etc...but all the 'old-school' USA brands are made by Whirlpool nowadays.
If anyone needs service parts check out appliancepartspros.com...they'll usually have anything you need.

Last edited:
Our good friends have been in the appliance 'warehouse' business for years....and you are correct. There's the full-on chinese brands like Samsung, LG etc...but all the 'old-school' USA brands are made by Whirlpool nowadays.
If anyone needs service parts check out appliancepartspros.com...they'll usually have anything you need.

Repairclinic.com is another good one too.

Y
Think WP and AMANA are made same place they are the same company. WPool also makes Maytag, Kitchen Aid and a couple of others. Probably quality levels change with brand.
Yep, all the steel is bought by Whirlpool, they make almost every brand. They would have a monopoly if it was not for LG junk and high end Viking, Wolfe, and Sub-Zero.

Auto Transport Service
Back