When I first bought this car, the roof did not have any paint or primer on it. It did have a crap ton of rust. I sanded the roof a bit with 80 grit and sprayed 3 coats of rattle can primer on it - that was about 10 years ago. Fast forward to now, I stripped the primer off and was immediately reminded of the nasty rust on the roof. I tried Ospho first but it didn’t really do anything. I decided to try a process that I saw Wray Schelin - Pro Shaper - do on his YouTube channel. Basically, he set up a tub underneath a ‘50 something Caddy filled with Rust911. He then pumped Rust911 through a series of sprinklers to treat all of the rust underneath the car. He also used a bunch of tarps to keep the spray contained. Borrowing this idea, I used a plastic bin, a sump pump I already had, a sprinkler, plastic and a crap load of clamps. I set this up Friday night and let it run for about 4 hours with 6 gallons of Rust911. The solution turned orange after about an hour an then black after 4 hours. When it turns black, it doesn’t work anymore. I did 3 more batches of 6 gallons for 4 hours on Saturday. The Rust911 removed almost all of the rust!! What was left, I was able to remove with a wire brush. I then then sanded it with 80 grit and primed it with epoxy. And, of course, I almost broke my neck while spraying. My feet got caught up between the oversized Tyvec suit I was wearing and the hose to my spray gun. I almost fell off the platform I was moving along and fat-fingered the spray gun and put a pretty good run on the roof. ****! I also started spraying primer on the trunk lid, I got the inside done. I also sprayed some of the parts to the trunk lid.
System set up, I didn’t end up using the bucket to put sprinkler on:
Doing its thing:
This is what I used:
The solution turns black when it’s used up:
Wire-wheeled and sanded:
Happy New Year and thanks for looking!