• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Hemibuild

Haflinger

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
So for my challenger vert Hemi clone build I bought a new block with
stock bore, new MP aluheads, new stock crank and the rockerassembly
from somebody who couldn't continue his project. Considering I want a
mild build with a shaker setup and powerbrakes I need some advice.

I was thinking to go for a single carb setup to minimize tuning because of
my choice of the shakerhood, is that a correct assumption?

Secondly, to get pistons from the shelf, not wanting KB hyper, I seems
to have to go for 10.5 comp ratio. Is that to high for my "mild" wishes?

Per

Seems to me that building an engine with a superior combustion chamber should do just fine with 10.5:1 CR.

I would definitely like to hear more about how this build progresses, and I'll be taking notes!

Seems to me that building an engine with a superior combustion chamber should do just fine with 10.5:1 CR.

I would definitely like to hear more about how this build progresses, and I'll be taking notes!

The aluminium heads will help in that regard, but how's the gas over there ?

Shaker will not be an issue, since it was available for single 4, two 4's (Hemi) or a Six Pack. Seen a Cuda vert with a 528 inch, single 4, and a shaker. Didn't see any issues (other than the cubic dollars necessary)

Like already said, the 10.5 pistons will be fine with the aluminum heads. But depending on how much meat is in the dome, it might be possible to have a "bit off the top" and drop the cr. a bit more

I thoght that due to the design of the hemi combustion chamber you could run compression a full point higher than a non hemi head ie 440 head before experienceing issues?? Say 10.5 for a hemi would be the same as 9.5 for 440??

I think the gas overhere is almost the same nowadays as in the US.

Also heard that Hemis could take some higher cr due to the Hemidesign.

I will then go for a set of Diamond 10. pistons and a single carb setup.

What's the important things when it comes to camchoice since I need
lots of vacuum for my powerbrakes and a nice, not to rough idle.
Any suggestions? Was thinking max 3.55 gears and a not to high stall.

Per

here is a cam from Comp. Cams to check out. I know some one using this cam on the street and the car responds great. It a 430 ci hemi in a 70 GTX . You can check Comp. Cams web site, they will sell you a complete kit cam, lifters, springs, push rods and rocker that match. i have included the part number below.

View Specs 24-711-9 XR286HR-10 Hydraulic Roller Lifter Hydraulic Roller-3.91+ Gear, 2800 stall, 9.5:1+ comp, needs headers, rough idle. Xtreme Energy™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts

Short lobe center cams (high overlap) will idle rougher. Check with manufacturer to match the cam to the compression ratio. I don't know what you have for gas, but around my area 150-160 PSI of cranking pressure works well with 87 R+M/2 (91 RON).

I have used Engle a couple of times but I have heard they can't get any cores anymoore otherwise I could have asked them for advice.

Per

Auto Transport Service
Back