• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Late Brother Will's Chopped Oval Bug

Keep the progress pictures coming Brother Jim! I can't wait to see this vehicle when complete. Keep up the superb work!!!

Dave, 2017, Bonneville..

.try my damndest anyway.

Welcome back Jim!

Sorry I have been out of touch a bit - my job has been killing me and eating up all my time. I'm trying to do my thing now so I can work more normal hours as it starts to get warm.

Keep us up to date with the bug - it looks cool as hell!

Hawk

Well my lexi is pulled, steam cleaned and on pallette in Ranch Cordova, on truck monday, so i should be able to put my hands on it by mid coming week...

It'll be interesting to see the intake and exhaust that you're talking about for that car. I'd suggest replacing the starter while you do the custom induction, as it's under the intake manifold inside the engine and hard to get to when in place under a hood.

Photon, the lexus starter is not in play anyway, the Porsche starter does the job from normal pos in bell hse. Motor leaving Rancho Cordova
Monday. Closer......closer...

Yup, plate over that hole.....thats a question......the sump cast as block or is it removable......i would like to dry sump for all the extra oil no doubt, but also because sump unfortunately will be lowest point of car. My lexi should be here tues..

They finallly got it pulled, steamed and packed, told me it was on truck monday.

Photon, i dont even know what it looks like yet, but its out of 95 LS 400......is Your sump pan removable or part of block casting....i would like to dry sump. You scope kinsler anymore? I was impressed. Im on horn 1st thing in am. In case it strikes anyone odd that i committed to this moteur w/o having seen one, its the size and KEP has clutch, flywheel and adaptor kit for the porsche axle......i would go smaller if i could, wish i could have used the taurus SHO 3.4 4 cam v8. The fomoco modulars are all six bolt main......the lexi is also six bolt and surprisingly compression is 10 to 1....but toyota is of no support at all. Alfa/Chrysler broke *** trying to accomodate me just because i ssked if they had anything like their old 2 litre 4 cam v8, and so everybody knows, i looked into aluminum 5.7 Hemi because weight is acceptable, but its just too wide

Nice bug Jimmy, I'll be following along on this one. I'm curious about the weight distribution, is the bug going to do wheelstands at every stop light?

440, nice to see You......naw im gonna bias w dead wt some plus radiator, battery etc will be up front. My power to weight is real good, Bug will be roughly 1500 lbs complete.
In 70's in Az we hung 215 Buick/Olds/Pontiac alinum blocks in bugs and buses.....fronts didnt lift on a whim, Had to stand on it pretty hard to pick up front, those long blocks weighed 320 lbs.. The lexi in full accessorization and oem trim are 400 lbs, which i feel confident 50 will come off, because @ most ill only be running alternator & water pump....and if i can find an electric water pump, im going that way. Anybody wants to check out a cool induction mfg'r. www.kinsler.com. in Troy, Mich. Plenty of Mopar applications.....direct inject, cross ram, throttle body, throttle body to weber any custom application one wants. And a very good selection of shelf packages, really worth a look.....i started a thread but no takers yet.

Jimi, sump pan - if you mean the engine oil pan - removable. My car sump is at the rear, but if your engine is from an LS it should be at the front. Oil pump is front mounted and crank driven.
Lexus-V8-1UZ-FE-VVT-i-System-Diagram.jpg

Yours won't have the VVT stuff but the rest will be the same.

Some other points of interest to occupy you before the engine shows up:
http://www.lexusv8engines.co.za/1uz-fe-non-vvt-4l-v8/

lexi.jpg

Well i am pumped about kinsler injection, who is in Troy, Mich and its AMERICAN, hardware, software, kinsler is from old skool drags, oval and bonneville, the selections are phenomenol, pre fab, custom machining and all axis of injection modes..lots of Mopar applications. A complete DIY design and build your own by their playbook, seems they try to cater to many different sets of needs, phone call today was very enlightening. This is good, i send them oem manifold and they machine ports EXACT match from blank manifolds, either cast or billet, to MY oem manifold, on this end ill get the head ports deburred and smooth without changing port dimension. Cross flow is too rich for me, but a raw cast, vertical, direct stack injection w brainage, looms, linkages, complete, ready to bolt amd wire in, is going to run about 7k, but before cams & what not, i will see a horsepower gain....im 250 stock and im only looking for another 50. This is not going to be cheap, but this is FAMILY, so im willing to go as far as i can go. I highly reccomend taking the time to check these People out for your induction needs, save for carbureted systems. Its my yello brick road i think.

Jimi's phone troubles wouldn't let him upload some pictures so I'm just placing them for Bladecutter to insert his comments. These are from Kinsler Fuel Injection, the guys to whom Jimi has been speaking regarding an intake system for his Bug project.
Kinsler stacks.jpgKinsler 360 magnum.jpgKinsler blown.jpgKinsler Hemi.jpg

Jimi's phone troubles wouldn't let him upload some pictures so I'm just placing them for Bladecutter to insert his comments. These are from Kinsler Fuel Injection, the guys to whom Jimi has been speaking regarding an intake system for his Bug project.

Thanks Photon!

See if i got this right.......
The 1st rig is similar to what im looking at for lexi, i send my oem manifold to them they match ports exact, tuner on this end will clean up head ports w/o changing shape.

View attachment 305373
I think this is a 440 rig, thats a 440 head isnt it?

View attachment 305374
An EFI supercharger rig
View attachment 305375
426 rig
View attachment 305376
The Billet Viper rig didnt make it, but all systems can be cast or billet, there are cross flow and cross ram for all big three BB & SB. Kinsler is industry standard in outlaw sprint and far more, including Cadillac racing. They are Big on old skool Lucas type mechanical injection on steroids in combo w/ my favorite, Scintilla Vertex Magnetos Which my Partner Paul may do on His BB chebelle....billet cross ram.

Oh right...well here's the billet Viper rig: (777) Bless You Sir Photon! OK Mopes, this is getting me jazzed.....this is le Billet....zoom on the bodies & fuel rail tubes....the welds could have a micrometer run on them w/o much variance pool to pool. If i dint have to spend on ecu & brain crap, i could do billet...the welds on my front subframe and suspension pieces are damn near this tight , i dont see how it can get better than this! I am lucky lucky to have found this outfit in Good ol US of A. Only because they are so heavily involved in racing, do they cover the lexi, otherwise there isnt much aftermkt support for the lex/toy motor and toy/trd are snots, unwilling to divulge info and their brain boxes are fairly closed affairs, no flexibility in parameters. Waiting on motor to show. ZOOM the Billet!.777
View attachment 305406
short

Here you are, one of these engines will be powering the Bug. 4.0 Litres (244 cubic inches) of aluminum block, light weight zoom.

PART_1455147346723_IMG_20160210_1528241.jpgPART_1455148515302_IMG_20160210_1527381.jpgPART_1455148553567_IMG_20160210_1531041.jpgPART_1455148577719_IMG_20160210_1530061.jpgPART_1455148624159_IMG_20160210_1529141.jpgPART_1455148638961_IMG_20160210_1528261.jpgPART_1455148657612_IMG_20160210_1502201.jpgPART_1455148682175_IMG_20160210_1502051.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back