• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Meyers Snow Plow

I've rebuilt tons of them, pull the valve block off the there's 3 o rings between it and the motor assembly may just have an o ring leaking if its cracked on just the flange it doesn't have fluid in that area unless crack is extending up,but if rings are leaking it will leak through crack or not,l have repair manual and can give you the part number if case is bad
Greatly appreciate your help - well sure looks like the pump housing or case is cracked nicely enough spewing oil like nuts. Supposed to hear from my bro-in-law later today as he said one of his bud's may have a unit. If not, could get a case as I see them on eBay pretty pricy compared to just forking out for a rebuilt - thanks again may need the part # if need to go this route. I just put a new motor on it last year..

My E47 system has the typical up/down as well as the left and right blade angle function.
Hmm, that's all the 60 does - must be just a larger unit maybe - my old plow blade is a heavy sucker so not sure if it needs the 60 or could do with a 47. Thanks.

Hmm, that's all the 60 does - must be just a larger unit maybe - my old plow blade is a heavy sucker so not sure if it needs the 60 or could do with a 47. Thanks.
e 47 is just as good actually they were more durable than e60 but not as fast ,most new rebuilding kits replaced the e60 lift seal with the e47 one because of how cheap the original is, its a kit replacing the seal and cylinder

e 47 is just as good actually they were more durable than e60 but not as fast ,most new rebuilding kits replaced the e60 lift seal with the e47 one because of how cheap the original is, its a kit replacing the seal and cylinder
Good to know - I don't need speed (wish my car had more-lol) but if this bolts on wdhay all fine...thanks for the know!

Forgot to ask - you know if the motors are same for 47 and 60? Since I have a pert new one.

E47 here also on my 2000 ram.
Fluid change each year. Ck sceens for crud.
I use the western blue fluid with the antifreeze additive.

First thank you all for your knowledge - greatly appreciated! To cap my story - I hope - my bro-in-law got an old e47 from a friend of his and we put this on today and looks to be working well. Yep, as posted, it is slower than the e60 but I'm not getting paid to plow anyway. Nice that it's less taxing on the battery. So will keep hunting for a deal on an e60 case or old unit that needs rebuilding as another project to have a backup.

Ron H said:
First thank you all for your knowledge - greatly appreciated! To cap my story - I hope - my bro-in-law got an old e47 from a friend of his and we put this on today and looks to be working well. Yep, as posted, it is slower than the e60 but I'm not getting paid to plow anyway. Nice that it's less taxing on the battery. So will keep hunting for a deal on an e60 case or old unit that needs rebuilding as another project to have a backup.

Sweet...nice to know that the E47 can be a direct replacement for the E60...glad you got the old plow truck back up and working!:thumbsup:

Sweet...nice to know that the E47 can be a direct replacement for the E60...glad you got the old plow truck back up and working!:thumbsup:
Thanks! We've been real lucky around here with the weather so far. Last couple days in the 50's nice outside working weather. Was able to drive my old ride to a couple places to have a look at some hassles I got going on it. Unheard of around my parts to not yet have salted roads. Ahh - but next 24 hours or so...calling for upwards of 6 inches of snow!

I use the western blue fluid with the antifreeze additive.
yeah that'll work as long as you don't mix with the new meyer oil it's parafinic oil and if mixed oil based it will wax up and cause problems, I'm sure they did that purposely.The old blue meyer oil was being made by generic brands and cutting there higher priced fluid sales down.

Well gents - revisiting my old post as the plow gremlins won't go away...back looking for some tips. The plow 'works' but ahh...like chit. Super-super slow and will decide to respond to controls and more not so much. I've swapped the A and B coils, cleaned the filters, and today put it back in the vice pulling the motor. When I took it off, fluid leaks through the motor shaft seal like nuts. So might assume that seal is bad and getting one from a supply store tomorrow for $15. Anyone replaced this seal (see pasted photo around the slot/drive shaft)? I ordered a seal kit (for the ram I'm waiting on) and getting a nice deal on a new motor so ordered that too. I've read about how this seal can be removed by drilling a small hole in it, inserting a screw to pop this off. Interested to know what you folks having messed with these have done. Thanks!

upload_2021-1-11_17-22-34.png

I've never had good luck removing seals like you suggested...drill hole/insert screw and out she comes. I bought a complete Meyer E47 re-sealrebuild kit for my unit since it performed like you describe, think I got it from a plow supplier on E-bay. After that it works great, nice and quick on all the movements.

I never plan to need a snow plow but almost wish I did thanks to this thread

Love the Snow Commander Thrashing Cows

I've never had good luck removing seals like you suggested...drill hole/insert screw and out she comes. I bought a complete Meyer E47 re-sealrebuild kit for my unit since it performed like you describe, think I got it from a plow supplier on E-bay. After that it works great, nice and quick on all the movements.
It took a while to remove the seal drilling two holes on each side inserting screws. Bugger wasn't wanting to come out. What I finally found helped, was to give a sharp tap one side of the seal while pulling up on other side of it with my needle nose pliers then popped out. Was close to disassembling the gear box; but Meyer's guides say don't do this as there's no servicing it and those cost 200+ bucks. The new seal is a hard press on and guess needs to be to create a 'seal' huh. I lubricated it well as well as the outer seat before tapping it in. Then went to re-do the ram taking it apart, cleaning, new seals, etc. using the kit. New motor should arrive today or tomorrow and will see if I have a plow I can depend on again when I need it...

I had a 69 3/4 ton Chevy with 456 rears that I plowed snow with for some years. Id fill two 35 gallon drums with water and strap them in the bed. I had thick lugged tires on all 4 wheels and that truck nothing would stop it until that one night in a large parking lot surrounded by two feet of snow, I hit the button to raise the plow and the truck stalled and the battery was dead
The alternator wasn't putting out enough amps.....No cell phones to call my buddy at another location
Gotta keep your rig and plow maintained carry spare parts and tools as I had to learn the hard way like most everything else

Man, ain't never gonna complain about the heat and humidity where I live ever again lol

Auto Transport Service
Back