• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New Aero; Hemi Bird.. Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat record holder

1969daytona

Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
Operation: Hemi Superbird, the former Jim Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat record holder. As you can see from the pictures, it had various schemes from the original paint with decals to a brownish paint for which you can still see the white in the door jambs.

How it came to be... Pete called me about a part I was looking for on that 1970 six pack Charger R/T I am working on and conversation turned to he wanting to sell the Bird. I knew what Bird he had, have known Pete for nearly a decade, almost bought his former F6 Playboy Daytona but it wasn't meant to be. This time he told me about selling the Bird.. Lordy, a chance to get an original Hemi Winged Car with racing pedigree. I asked for a week to try and sell my 500, he said sure.. Damn if you wouldn't know it, I had someone interested in it in less than a day and bought a day or two later. This time, this car was meant for me.

Pete was a great caretaker to the car and had a bunch of documentation for me with the car including the original California pink slip with Mr. Lindsley and original plates and dealership frame !! Thank you again Salt-free Pete..

I weighted the cost of shipping and a flight to Connecticut to make the financial part versus me just going to get it. Thanks to my friend Jeremy for going with me and Dave P. for letting me borrow his trailer to Julius to supporting the decision. So, here it is. Will pull out of the trailer probably Friday, still on the road... will take some pictures of the rest of the car. Getting tired of the 3 days of heavy driving but have had a great time. Drove the car to lunch with Pete and Jeremy, Bird runs great!!

20211219_115442_copy_1612x763.jpg FB_IMG_1639626867605.jpg FB_IMG_1639626879025.jpg FB_IMG_1639626907271.jpg FB_IMG_1639939929340.jpg FB_IMG_1639939933360.jpg FB_IMG_1639939939600.jpg FB_IMG_1639939944551.jpg

Some racing day photos..

#16, I'm assuming right after Mr. Lindsley bought the Superbird and started campaigning it.. It is still white with vinyl top.

Then as the #484 painted a darker color...

A near disaster when the tow truck caught on fire. They literally dragged the car off the trailer, without the ramps !!! They saved the car to run another day.. I believe she campaigned from 1970 to the mid-80s.

FB_IMG_1639626864387.jpg Bville85003_01.JPG Bville85005_01.JPG Bville85015_01.JPG Bville85016_01.JPG Bville85018_01.JPG Bville85019_01.JPG Bville85022_01.JPG Bville85023_01.JPG Hot_rod.JPG

Congratulations on the purchase!

That's an exciting deal! I'll ask the stupid question : what was the speed record?

I LOVE the seats!

Operation: Hemi Superbird, the former Jim Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat record holder. As you can see from the pictures, it had various schemes from the original paint with decals to a brownish paint for which you can still see the white in the door jambs.

How it came to be... Pete called me about a part I was looking for on that 1970 six pack Charger R/T I am working on and conversation turned to he wanting to sell the Bird. I knew what Bird he had, have known Pete for nearly a decade, almost bought his former F6 Playboy Daytona but it wasn't meant to be. This time he told me about selling the Bird.. Lordy, a chance to get an original Hemi Winged Car with racing pedigree. I asked for a week to try and sell my 500, he said sure.. Damn if you wouldn't know it, I had someone interested in it in less than a day and bought a day or two later. This time, this car was meant for me.

Pete was a great caretaker to the car and had a bunch of documentation for me with the car including the original California pink slip with Mr. Lindsley and original plates and dealership frame !! Thank you again Salt-free Pete..

I weighted the cost of shipping and a flight to Connecticut to make the financial part versus me just going to get it. Thanks to my friend Jeremy for going with me and Dave P. for letting me borrow his trailer to Julius to supporting the decision. So, here it is. Will pull out of the trailer probably Friday, still on the road... will take some pictures of the rest of the car. Getting tired of the 3 days of heavy driving but have had a great time. Drove the car to lunch with Pete and Jeremy, Bird runs great!!

View attachment 1211290 View attachment 1211291 View attachment 1211292 View attachment 1211293 View attachment 1211294 View attachment 1211295 View attachment 1211296 View attachment 1211297

Congradulations on your purchase, it really sucks you had to sell that rare Charger to get it though I was looking forward to seeing that done :(. The Bird is better though I love both the Chargers and Birds!! If I knew you were coming to Connecticut we could of met up somewhere, this car used to come to our car clubs Mopar shows a lot too. There's a picture of it on the internet at one of the shows but I can't find it

Pete is great guy...well known mopar guy in Connecticut area

Those are some great old racing pictures.
Looks like the chicks dug it too.

WAY TO GO!! You've got to love any car with a chute on the back! Enjoy.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back