• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new hole in the water...

I'd say it worked! Im a believer!

Before

IMG_3557.jpg

After

IMG_3564.jpg

Paint question...

Looking to repaint Reba inside and out.

1) do I need to take it down to bare aluminum?

2) I assume there is a special paint / primer to stick to said aluminum?

@eldubb440 @5wndwcpe
Mario - join the SPI forum and poke around in the archives. Everyone over there is pretty knowledgeable and you can even call Barry up (the owner) and ask him yourself about aluminum. Hand sanding is best as a da can polish the metal as the paper wears out, negating the desired effect of giving it tooth.

Mario - join the SPI forum and poke around in the archives. Everyone over there is pretty knowledgeable and you can even call Barry up (the owner) and ask him yourself about aluminum. Hand sanding is best as a da can polish the metal as the paper wears out, negating the desired effect of giving it tooth.

I'll check them out summore. Thank you Pete!

Very nice....like brand new. :thumbsup:

Painted up and drying as we speak.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

IMG_3570.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg

After the dunk in the Evaporust, I rinsed it off with water and wiped it down with acetone. Then sprayed it with Seymour Cast Blast. I used the 1200* version on the manifolds for the GTXer. Good stuff.

IMG_3572.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg

:thumbsup:

Hitch all done. Evaporust for a day and half, cleaned it up with a green scotchbrite pad and then wire wheeled the bolts (using new nylock nuts) and Bob's yer uncle. lol

Still need to get new safety chains. The old ones are beat to ****.

Im wondering if I should spray the hitch with a clear coat of some sort so it doesn't flash rust?

IMG_3568.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg

Dang when your done that boat and trailer is going to look brand new.:thumbsup:

A couple of cringe-worthy questions for the group...and they both involve aerosol cans smiley-scared003.gif

I am using 1k self-etching primer in an aerosol. Do I take it all the way down to bare aluminum? Can I sand the current paint down enough to where the primer will stick? I am painting over the primer with automotive-grade paint (in an aerosol) and then a 2k urethane gloss clearcoat (yes, that damn aerosol again lol) over the color.

It's not chalky. Im thinking if I hit it with a DA and 400 grit, the substrate should be pretty flat. Also, the 1k primer is a filler/primer. They called it a 'wash primer.' So that'll help. lol

The gray is the bare aluminum of the boat. The other side is a little bit better. What say ye?

IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg

A couple of cringe-worthy questions for the group...and they both involve aerosol cans View attachment 1304713

I am using 1k self-etching primer in an aerosol. Do I take it all the way down to bare aluminum? Can I sand the current paint down enough to where the primer will stick? I am painting over the primer with automotive-grade paint (in an aerosol) and then a 2k urethane gloss clearcoat (yes, that damn aerosol again lol) over the color.

It's not chalky. Im thinking if I hit it with a DA and 400 grit, the substrate should be pretty flat. Also, the 1k primer is a filler/primer. They called it a 'wash primer.' So that'll help. lol

The gray is the bare aluminum of the boat. The other side is a little bit better. What say ye?

View attachment 1304719View attachment 1304720View attachment 1304721
IMHO, I would take it down only as far as required....to solid primer - whereby nothing is flaking off, or any deep edges. If the original primer is feathering out OK, I would run with that. Check first to make sure that your new paint will not 'fry' on the old surface....if it doesn't - you're good to go.

My opinion only of course. I have done a ton of painting, but I am far short of being an expert. :thumbsup:

What the heck is this thing that the bow light is attached to?

View attachment 1304799
That is called an 'Anchor Mate'. The anchor is supposed sit under the hood. It has a rope and pulley system along the port side all the way back to the helm.

You can see the spool in the first pic and the rope in the second pic

IMG_3510.jpg
IMG_3509.jpg

IMHO, I would take it down only as far as required....to solid primer - whereby nothing is flaking off, or any deep edges. If the original primer is feathering out OK, I would run with that. Check first to make sure that your new paint will not 'fry' on the old surface....if it doesn't - you're good to go.

My opinion only of course. I have done a ton of painting, but I am far short of being an expert. :thumbsup:
Of course :lol:

I think it will be fine to give er a little sanding and then hit it with the primer. The primer should keep the new paint from frying.

Auto Transport Service
Back