• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My newest pet peeve

That was my point.
There is a difference in appreciating an act or a person.

I don't know the guy that opened the door for me.
I appreciate the act of opening the door, but I don't have enough info to blanket appreciate the entire person.

In your example, you do have additional information and corroborating history.
Wife says I sound like Tommy Lee Jones in a western when I say it....
I'm thinking more like Barry Corbin, but yeah - it's probably more of a Texas thing. :)

barry corbin.jpg

I used to work with a guy. I would say thanks and he would say “Not a problem. “.
Didn’t help that he was a real dandy.

I always wanted to say “Good, cause if it is a problem, we are gonna have a problem.”

But I never did because he was a really nice guy. It was just his way of talking. Plus I am enough of an asshole without trying.

Counterpoint ><

Sometimes I feel "you're welcome" isn't appropriate ether.

If I do something for someone that I'm not real fond of doing, or is really difficult, don't necessarily agree with, or causes other hardship...

...maybe they're not really "welcome" to ask for that again.

Todays parents seem to think it's the school teachers job to do their job. That's not happening since they outlawed throwing chalk and chalk brushes and took away the strap.

Our 29 month old Granddaughter gets nothing from us without saying Please and then Thankyou. "Milk Please"...
Today's parents? Been going on for generations. My X sister in law (from my generation) had 6 kids and is a paraplegic from polio and she let the schools raise her kids. I know of at least one of them started 1st grade still sucking on a pacifier. My mother in law wasn't much better imo based on how her 4 kids acted including my X wife.

I first heard "no problem" from servers and coworkers when I moved to Savannah in 2010 from upstate N.Y. I don't recall hearing it when I lived there. It's more prevalent here in Savannah nowadays, but we have a lot of people from Atlanta and out of state.

Something I hear from female servers clerks, and cashiers here is "sweetie", "darling", "love", and "honey". Almost any age and any ethnicity. I didn't hear any of those casual "terms of endearment" in upstate NY for sure.

BTW, the restaurant food in the N.E. is better than here.
Something I hear from female servers clerks, and cashiers here is "sweetie", "darling", "love", and "honey".

This does rile me up a lot!!! I am not any of these, "indearment" nouns to any of them!!! Yet so many do so and think it is just fine. Another phrase is, "Have A Blessed Day"!!! I just do not know what that means from a total stranger. I will agree that the lazy, slovenly replies do at times rub me the wrong way so I just let it slide and move on...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I'm starting to wonder what happened to the "Thank you Wave" when you let someone into traffic from a side street or parking lot. I'm driving in traffic for a good part of the day and I'll leave a space when sitting in stopped traffic to let a person out. Less and less I'm not getting the "wave" like I was supposed to do this. It's not from the elderly it's from the younger generations. I'm about to stop doing this if I notice who's driving.

Today's parents? Been going on for generations. My X sister in law (from my generation) had 6 kids and is a paraplegic from polio and she let the schools raise her kids. I know of at least one of them started 1st grade still sucking on a pacifier. My mother in law wasn't much better imo based on how her 4 kids acted including my X wife.
Sad but true. My sister walked out on hers when they were in elementary school so "she could find herself." Folks who were in her orbit at the time now keep as much distance as possible. Remarkably, the kids have come out okay.

Something I hear from female servers clerks, and cashiers here is "sweetie", "darling", "love", and "honey".
My attorney, who specializes in elder law, addressed this issue at a seminar I attended a few years ago. She trains her intake people to never, ever, address a client or potential client in that manner. Says it seems common with the younger generation, and she finds it totally offensive.

Last edited:
'm starting to wonder what happened to the "Thank you Wave" when you let someone into traffic from a side street or parking lot. I'm driving in traffic for a good part of the day and I'll leave a space when sitting in stopped traffic to let a person out. Less and less I'm not getting the "wave" like I was supposed to do this. It's not from the elderly it's from the younger generations. I'm about to stop doing this if I notice who's driving.
You do see this less and less anymore. I still acknowledge with a wave when someone lets me in. But honestly around here in Albuquerque, it's a good way to get shot!

OP - it's not always just the exact words used, but how it is said. If the "no problem" was said with a blank look or a shrug, I might take that as a lack of manners or not caring. If it was said in an upbeat friendly way, it was probably meant as such and is just their way of staying friendly and you may have taken it the wrong way. Bottom line - try to think the best of people and give others a break. Some don't deserve a break, but wouldn't you feel bad if that one person you thought bad of had genuine kindness in their heart?

I used to be a server 25 years ago. I was polite and upbeat. Sometimes I'd use different phrases to lighten the mood or seem fun and most customers liked it. Sometimes it would be to try and relate to them or seem friendly based on an observation. Only one time did I have someone say something to the effect that they didn't think I was formal or polite enough. More often than not, I'd receive notes handed to me that praised my attitude and even a few job offers.

I looked it up and it seems that others are even offended by the "you're welcome" reply. Jeez...
Origins of You're Welcome below:

According to language experts ‘thank you’ is derived from the Old English word “wilcuma.”

We all know that politeness and good manners go a long way in how we are perceived. Ever since childhood, we have been taught the fundamentals of good manners: please, thank you, sorry, you’re welcome and other greetings. But have you ever stopped and wondered why they are a part of common courtesy and what is the meaning and significance behind them? Here is the origin and history behind one of the most common phrases of politeness, “you’re welcome.”
Where does the phrase “you’re welcome” stem from?
According to language experts, this ubiquitous saying is derived from the Old English word “wilcuma.” This ancient word fused together the two ideas of “pleasure” and “guest.” Essentially, it was used by hosts to express their openness and gratitude to their guests and visitors. It became more popular in the early 1600s when used in Shakespeare’s famous play titled “Othello” as a reflexive response to another popular phrase, “thank you.” Since then, it was accepted in normal speech and conversation that these two phrases complement each other. The reciprocity which emerged from them was a part of courtesy and politeness.
In today’s day and age, it follows the purpose of assuring someone that they are not under the obligation of repaying you. Other popular replacements for the saying include: My pleasure, no worries, no problem, happy to help, etc, with all of them having the same connotations.

An interesting anecdote about the importance of this phrase
Post-World War II, the Allied Nations of Europe suffered great losses. In order to extend aid to them, the United States sent a train filled with food items, clothing and other necessities. These products were loaded onto a ship and then distributed in Italy, France, UK and other nations. However, in this gesture, there was an element of portraying. The fact that these were American goods was made clear with patriotic hoardings and flags in the European nations.

The following year, as an expression of gratitude, the European countries, too, sent some goods to America. To this, America considered returning the favour again. It did not happen, but even the consideration of it was a nod to this compulsive pattern of returning favours so that one party does not owe the other anything. In such situations, the importance of the phrase “you’re welcome” is understood clearly as it functions as the last word.

Last edited:
Sometimes it takes an engineer to write a 7 paragraph essay to explain even simple things!

01 funny 8.jpg

Sometimes it takes an engineer to write a 7 paragraph essay to explain even simple things!
I had no idea that a guy who drives a train is capable of writing a 7 paragraph essay. But on the other hand, I guess an engineer would have a lot of time on his hands while sitting in the cab for hours on end

Hmmmm.

I say “no problem” and “I’m good” all the time. Surprised my kids turned out alright. Maybe they didn’t?

Usually it’s “no, I’m good, thanks”.

Like someone else said, I’m happy when I get any acknowledgement.

I do understand that this language evolves.
I wonder if people that were raised to say Greetings and salutations got annoyed when youngsters simply said Hello.
It all does change....but I don't have to like it.

You know the younger generations will quickly change their ways when us old farts start mimicking their lingo, right?
:lol:

The person at the register or checkout should be the one saying "thank you " because you did business there. But I do not say thank you, however I do reply with a "you're welcome " or the like.

I do understand that this language evolves.
I wonder if people that were raised to say Greetings and salutations got annoyed when youngsters simply said Hello.
It all does change....but I don't have to like it.

I wasn't "raised" like that but do occasionally use that phrase.

Auto Transport Service
Back