• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Rallye Gauge Ammeter to Voltmeter conversion

T2R9

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
First off this thread is not meant to be an ammeter vs voltmeter thread. I have no issues using a properly maintained ammeter. In my case with my 74 the ammeter was smoked so bad it was not savable and I did not have a spare so I decided to convert it to a volt meter.

This is the standard Rallye gauges without a clock or tach.

I used a Autogauge 2319 since the size was about the same as the ammeter and it was also a top sweep. Here is the donor for the smoked gauge.

IMG_2803.jpg
IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg

I used a grinder to cut through the outer lip of the face since it was crimped onto the gauge so I could dissemble it.

IMG_2829.jpg

Once it was apart I removed the face held on by the two tiny screws and used that as a template to scribe the original gauge bezal so I knew What I had to hack out to fit the new gauge. Then I used a Dremel to hack open what I needed and drill the holes to mount it to the gauge.

IMG_2831.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg

Then I painted the needle to match the others and mounted the bezel to the gauge. Then test fitted the lens.

IMG_2835.jpg
IMG_2839.jpg

It took some adjustments to locate the three holes I needed to drill so it was positioned correctly. The gauge had a convenient hole in the center of the plastic That I installed a long screw in and used multiple nuts on it to get the correct depth and mounted it to the base. I drilled oversized holes for the positive and negative studs and double insulated them using heat shrink. Here you can see the original ammeter holes and the new ones I drilled. I had to offset them a bit as there are stanchions on the other side of the original holes.

IMG_2847.jpg

And finished off with the original insulator ready for the new 12v lead and assembled gauges.

IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg

The new gauge is 13 volts straight up so anything past center I know I am charging and the original right line is about 14.5 volts on the new gauge.

IMG_2843.jpg

Awesome! Going to have to do this to my set when I clean them up.

ST, ET, all the same, right Chief Jeff!!! lol. Looks great

I’m pretty sure somebody on some board already posted quite ago this conversion getting a voltmeter mounted without need to drill holes on cluster housing…

I’m pretty sure somebody on some board already posted quite ago this conversion getting a voltmeter mounted without need to drill holes on cluster housing…

I thought about cutting down the studs and running wires into the original holes but there still the issue of mounting it so it looks correct. I guess it all depends on the aftermarket gauge used. Either way this worked for me.

Yeap, but wondering about the conversion using a matching gauge with the existant holes. I know it does exist.

Auto Transport Service
Back