• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Rallye Gauge Ammeter to Voltmeter conversion

T2R9

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 PM
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
9,000
Location
Conway, SC
First off this thread is not meant to be an ammeter vs voltmeter thread. I have no issues using a properly maintained ammeter. In my case with my 74 the ammeter was smoked so bad it was not savable and I did not have a spare so I decided to convert it to a volt meter.

This is the standard Rallye gauges without a clock or tach.

I used a Autogauge 2319 since the size was about the same as the ammeter and it was also a top sweep. Here is the donor for the smoked gauge.

IMG_2803.jpg
IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg



I used a grinder to cut through the outer lip of the face since it was crimped onto the gauge so I could dissemble it.


IMG_2829.jpg


Once it was apart I removed the face held on by the two tiny screws and used that as a template to scribe the original gauge bezal so I knew What I had to hack out to fit the new gauge. Then I used a Dremel to hack open what I needed and drill the holes to mount it to the gauge.

IMG_2831.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg


Then I painted the needle to match the others and mounted the bezel to the gauge. Then test fitted the lens.

IMG_2835.jpg
IMG_2839.jpg
 
It took some adjustments to locate the three holes I needed to drill so it was positioned correctly. The gauge had a convenient hole in the center of the plastic That I installed a long screw in and used multiple nuts on it to get the correct depth and mounted it to the base. I drilled oversized holes for the positive and negative studs and double insulated them using heat shrink. Here you can see the original ammeter holes and the new ones I drilled. I had to offset them a bit as there are stanchions on the other side of the original holes.

IMG_2847.jpg


And finished off with the original insulator ready for the new 12v lead and assembled gauges.


IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg



The new gauge is 13 volts straight up so anything past center I know I am charging and the original right line is about 14.5 volts on the new gauge.

IMG_2843.jpg
 
Awesome! Going to have to do this to my set when I clean them up.
 
ST, ET, all the same, right Chief Jeff!!! lol. Looks great
 
I’m pretty sure somebody on some board already posted quite ago this conversion getting a voltmeter mounted without need to drill holes on cluster housing…
 
I’m pretty sure somebody on some board already posted quite ago this conversion getting a voltmeter mounted without need to drill holes on cluster housing…

I thought about cutting down the studs and running wires into the original holes but there still the issue of mounting it so it looks correct. I guess it all depends on the aftermarket gauge used. Either way this worked for me.
 
Yeap, but wondering about the conversion using a matching gauge with the existant holes. I know it does exist.
 
Auto Transport Service
Back
Top