• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Very Rusty 70 GTX. Any Thoughts?

Little weld pac I bought for $60 bucks added gas and away we go! I have been itching for an upgrade the Lincoln 180 looks nice ! But $600 my little welder is still buzzing! To think someone bought it got the wire jamed in the line couldn't figure it out . Dropped it off to me says can you fix it! I told him sure ,he said how much then said well you know what I'll just sell this one for parts and buy a new one! ... I'll buy it $100 screw you it's broken ....we agreed on $60 and I was welding in under 10 mins got to love stupid people. He bought a new one and couldn't get it to work right he returned it twice then just brought his stuff to ke to weld .When he saw the little weld pac buzzing away he asked what was wrong with it . I told him the old operator! Haven't seen him since!
Hahaha, reminds me of how my dad got a 73 74 Duster for free: A guy had this truck that wouldn't start... He'd been fussing over it for So long... Somehow he made it to my dads way, my dad said: let me take a look at it. He had some Paint Thinner or something! Hahahaha!!! And poured it in the carb. The guy had told him: if you can get it to start: Ill Give you that car over there... After pouring He said: crank it over. Truck started. The guy ask: Hey! What you got in that can??? My dad said: its a secret. Hahahahaha! Got a free Duster. Damned i wish i was here in the 70s. I plain missed out ..

Big block 4 speed with air!
Hahaha, YesSir that surprises me All the time. I've seen full scale GTXs without AC. This is a Very plain charger. If it didnt have a 383: it would have been a base car... The car itself is a stripped down car with a big block... Hahaha, Hey you got me to thinking: cause big block with air could have been a little rare... It still blows me away! I will say im glad this is a pre70 made charger ( A10: October 10 1969 ) and thats why it doesnt have that ugly reflector in the taillights. I was hoping to find ONE distinction on the 69 made 70s from the real 70s. Laws were being passed so that Every car would have a reflector in the lens by 1970. It would be too hard to drag every car already made back in just to change a lens etc. This law was enforced and every 70 charger made after January 1st received the lens which in my opinion threw the light off and made it ugly...

Lets see some satellite pictures. that's my favorite of your cars I want to see more
Hahahaha!!! Hey Brother! Sorry i missed your comment. Here you go Bro:
20170902_132909.jpg
20170902_132942.jpg
20170902_133021.jpg
20170902_133110.jpg
20170902_133119.jpg
20170902_133154.jpg
20170902_133219.jpg

The Satellite with RoadRunner options as i always call it. 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring, Original 383 car: vin: RP23L1C. Ive got the fentag codes and decoded them years ago but forgot the results. Anyways here they are: ( from bottom to top as they are supposed to be read ) L1G RP23 D32 E61 511 ( may 11 Birthday ) TX9 P6XW EL5 B51 B41 A04 A01 U V1W H51 G36 G11 C62 C55 C16 M91 M25 M21 L31 J25 N88 R26 V6W 26 END. Ill say some option from the top of my head: White buckets ( 6 way LH side ) on black carpet. As we can see the white chips caught between the chrome window trim: Full White vinyl roof. Luggage rack car. I think those are rare.. Original trunk and glove box light. 3 speed wipers with elect. washer. Cruise control. S-83 Rim Blow steering wheel most prominently seen in E bodies as the Tuff wheel. Original console mounted tape/recorder. Alone gone: Extremly Rare. No One remakes them. The closes i found was a repoduction microphone and that was in a 1996 edition of Year One. Original paint mostly still intact, Bahama Yellow which was a High Inpact color for 71 and costed an extra $15.05 at the factory. Note: im going to try and preserve whats left of the paint. Racing mirriors painted to match. I believe this to be a One speaker car... Highest wattage radio... Which was sadly lost between the time i seen the car and us picking it up. Unsure as to the rear end... The original broadcast sheet is still in 75-80% good shape. The way i figured: a higher variation of a base model car would have Never had these options to say the least. Like my Friend GeneralMopars said: someone picked the options for this car from the mopar catalog. I dont know why. I do know about a higher price sticker and the whining 3 piece suitors at the insurance offices tacking on higher premiums over the name. GTX, RoadRunner more than an old base satellite. Maybe someone got creative... Im not sure... This car is truly something i must say. Hahaha, Thanks Bro! Glad i could show You and the Other Guys this. Thumbs Up!

It's a GTX save it if you can or sell it to someone who can to fund the other two projects. It's a matter of tast, what do you like? You are going to drop a bundle on it whichever one you choose so it comes down to your personal tast or likes. Good luck.
Well, I've got to admit. Personally: the Satellite. I had gotten out of tune with the dukes. Not cause i wanted to but because at the time: i only could see season 1. I knew this car appeared but hadnt seen season 2. When i finally could: this car took me by storm. It was also the underdog to the Gen.Lee. They didn't care about it as,much as the poor chargers they were about to kill. Also: this car has Always had a rep. fir being ugly. Which ticks me off... So i took a liking to it. Where the satellite is: the charger used to be there facing the other way. I decided i wanted the charger out and the satellite there. Sorry charger. And from then on out that was The Car. But i want them All to be back out again. Ive got to throw stuff up to make it work on both the 70s... But the 71 is practcally There... Its all going to work out in the long run though... Thanks for the words Friend!

First of all get it media blasted or dipped dipping is way expensive but gets the rust you cant see restoring these 40 to 50 year old cars takes lots of time skill and a truck full of cash but if you truly love the car sell your other projects to fund one to offset costs trust me its a long process to get theses cars even to the primer stage it can be done there's been pleanty of times ive thought ive got all the rust on my 66 coronet got to just find another thing it gets frustrating but good luck on what you come up with

I have to say if I were in your position I'd sell that charger and gtx and build that satty you'll get good money for that charger and something for the gtx that will give you the needed funds to build that satty it is sweet and extremely unique this is only the second car I've seen with the luggage rack!

First of all get it media blasted or dipped dipping is way expensive but gets the rust you cant see restoring these 40 to 50 year old cars takes lots of time skill and a truck full of cash but if you truly love the car sell your other projects to fund one to offset costs trust me its a long process to get theses cars even to the primer stage it can be done there's been pleanty of times ive thought ive got all the rust on my 66 coronet got to just find another thing it gets frustrating but good luck on what you come up with
Thanks for the words, Thats a Cool 66... I've always liked the coronets: They're obe of the looked over Mopars...

Welcome
If you've got the wherewithal, then restore the car.
This is an all in project though. It's do-able but requires a total commitment.

The 70 GTX is far and away the most beautiful of all Plymouths, hands down.
There were less than 8000 made, so it would be a shame to reduce the already low population.

Personally, I would sell the other cars and commit to this one.
But only if you have time and want a challenge.

Welcome
If you've got the wherewithal, then restore the car.
This is an all in project though. It's do-able but requires a total commitment.

The 70 GTX is far and away the most beautiful of all Plymouths, hands down.
There were less than 8000 made, so it would be a shame to reduce the already low population.

Personally, I would sell the other cars and commit to this one.
But only if you have time and want a challenge.
Hahaha, Exactly Right Friend! Some people might look over this GTX because its had All base options from the factory: regular 4 barrel Auto car etc. Thank You for your words! Oh and let me show you the other photos of the quarters and whats under the hood:
20170902_134644.jpg
20170902_134631.jpg
20170902_135020.jpg

The original 440 gone, replaced with a crappy 318 that im not sure ever even got ran. 2529 is on the odometer. Im sure it wrapped over though... Both quarters are rusted All the way aroubd and proceeds a little bit past under the rockers... In the back: the rust goes past the rear bumper... Hmm, Workable. Hahaha, Thanks again Friend!

Hahaha, Exactly Right Friend! Some people might look over this GTX because its had All base options from the factory: regular 4 barrel Auto car etc. Thank You for your words! Oh and let me show you the other photos of the quarters and whats under the hood: View attachment 509821 View attachment 509823 View attachment 509824
The original 440 gone, replaced with a crappy 318 that im not sure ever even got ran. 2529 is on the odometer. Im sure it wrapped over though... Both quarters are rusted All the way aroubd and proceeds a little bit past under the rockers... In the back: the rust goes past the rear bumper... Hmm, Workable. Hahaha, Thanks again Friend!
Oh, disregard the Auto part... I forgot: 727 Auto was the standard trans. for the GTX. Hahaha, Thumbs Up Friend!

I have to say if I were in your position I'd sell that charger and gtx and build that satty you'll get good money for that charger and something for the gtx that will give you the needed funds to build that satty it is sweet and extremely unique this is only the second car I've seen with the luggage rack!
Hahahaha, Thank You Friend: yep: original luggage car and if it wasnt for that: i would have Never seen one. Its amazing cause i guess that wasnt a big seller on cars... Just wagons. Oh wait: i did see an original pic of a 70 R/T Charger in 1970 and it had a luggage rack. Hahaha, Im Proud of that! Yep: the satty is my personal favorite too. Oh and Thanks for that: im going to start calling it Satty! Hahahaha, Thank You for the Advice and standing up for the satellite. Very few people do that for the 71-72 Plymouth... Thankfully Ive even seen some people say that they liked daisys 71 Plymouth over the General Lee!!! Hahahaha, Thumbs Up Friend!

Get a tetanus shot 1st :poke:

Welcome to FBBO from hot, dry, sunny & smoky NorCal

downloadfile-10.jpeg
attachment-20140520-101552.jpeg
1026141435a.jpg
IMAG0546_BURST002.jpg
these are some of my toys some are still here some went to new homes but I love the 71-74 b bodys I have yet to cross frome dodge to Plymouth but I've been eyeing up 71-72 road runners lately so I might jump over to Plymouth for awhile! IMAG2319_BURST002.jpg

Back