• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery 1971 Roadrunner - Has anyone seen this one before?

sdweatherman

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Found this picture over on cuda-challenger.com in a crazy 70's thread. No history on it in the thread. Has anyone come across this one before? Check out the 426 call outs on the hood? I believe an Air Grabber was standard when you ordered the Hemi. Also - check out the roof line real close - Its gotta sunroof!
Scott.

TireTestCar.jpg

Zooming in as best I could, the callouts say 426, but from what I've seen these should say HEMI in 1971. Also notice the HEMI callouts are missing from the front fenders. And I believe Air Grabbers were never standard on any car and always an option. I've seen a couple of 71 Roadrunners with the non-air grabber hood.

Zooming in as best I could, the callouts say 426, but from what I've seen these should say HEMI in 1971. Also notice the HEMI callouts are missing from the front fenders. And I believe Air Grabbers were never standard on any car and always an option. I've seen a couple of 71 Roadrunners with the non-air grabber hood.

Looks like 426 to me, in 70 air grabber was indeed standard with 426 and option with all others, not sure about 71.

Yeah, don't know how original the "all original" 71 cars with the non-N96 hood are, but I'm very sure the callouts should read HEMI and not 426.

Good discussion guys. Just double-checked the Dealership Data books on the Hamtramck website and indeed the Air Grabber hood was standard in 1971 if you ordered the Hemi. Bruzilla you are correct with the callouts - if there is a Hemi inside, it should say Hemi not 426. Maybe there is an early 60s 426 wedge in there. Regardless, we are likely looking at a Roadrunner or Roadrunner tribute that was spruced up and used for advertising purposes. Does anyone recognize the license plate design - maybe we can narrow this car down to a state? Thanks, Scott.

The Formula Tire Co. was in Texas, so you'd think the car is either there, or at a California advertising agency.

So I'll guess Maryland for the license plate, just to be contrary. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back