• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery crank?

Jim914

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
This crank was in the boxes of parts I acquired. All I know is the hemi has 8 bolts at the flywheel. Rods and mains are std hemi. What set up is this on the back of the crank? No ridge for flywheel or flex plate.
Is there a application for this set up?
Thanks

IMG_20230117_104018163.jpg

IMG_20230117_104024952.jpg

Possibly a 413 industrial crank of some sort

I was thinking industrial too but an industrial engine still needs a starter. Without some sort of wheel on the crank for it and no way to keep the wheel centered, how would you start it? Somebody with more knowledge will surely chime in.

The ring gear is mounted on the torque converter or flywheel.

The ring gear is mounted on the torque converter or flywheel.
Still need a register to center the TC and that crank doesn't have it.....at least not for the more modern times......60 years ago?

Still need a register to center the TC and that crank doesn't have it.....at least not for the more modern times......60 years ago?
I agree, but here we are with no register on that crank. They had to start it somehow?
I thought the olden days chryslers didn't have registers. I don't know much about the real old stuff.

I agree, but here we are with no register on that crank. They had to start it somehow?
I thought the olden days chryslers didn't have registers. I don't know much about the real old stuff.
Me either lol

more pix than just the flywheel end may help immensely.... does it have a double keyway on the other end??

Which would lead to the question; how were they bolted together?
Well, I think you needed to pick up a can of Band-Aides first, which is why they changed it to the other way around. :poke:

I think I have an early 413 crank here....I'll have to dig it out and see what it looks like, but I think more pix from the OP may reveal what KernDog told him to start with.

Pictures of the nose of crank would probably be different for a top fuel crank.

I thought it looked a bit to crummy and factory to be an aftermarket tf crank..who knows.
But mentioning it has Hemi dimensions...(or 440, or 413, or RB383 , or 426w) can throw people off.
Here's to hoping it's it's the fuel crank :drinks:

So, as I was digging for the early production crank..... I stumbled across this Velasco Hemi Crank, supposed to once be a $3,000.00 piece, now, not so much.... Should answer the OP's question.

Velasco Hemi Crank.jpg

Is it forged steel, or billet? The alcohol and fuel cranks I've had were always billet, had extra rod and main clearance ( .002 under), and Lots of Mallory in em . (and no register, and lots of cracks.)

I imagine the industrial engines ran gear drives not timing chains so most likely industrial.

If we play our cards right, the next pic will be the whole crank!

Auto Transport Service
Back