• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Power Steering Pump

KnuckleDuster

Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this power steering pump that came off my 1964 Polara 383?
Thought it was a TRW, but the valve looks nothing like I was expecting. Striking out searching, and googling, all I get is ads.
Thanks!

20231005_162407.jpg

20231005_162419.jpg

20231005_162433.jpg

20231005_162450.jpg

20231005_162744.jpg

TRW has two bolts on the back of the pump , Federal has one bolt. I think it’s a 68 and down due to the size of the return hose. Other may chime in f I’m mistaken.

The size of the return hose says 1966 and down. 1967 has the small return hose. Also you have the early cap, and he neck is different for that cap.

Photo #2 It looks like it has two threaded holes on the back of the pump, which is TRW.

@knucklebuster please take a photo of the center of the pulley and shaft

Last edited:
IMO....I believe MOPAR used either: Federal, TRW-THOMPSON or GM-SAGINAW. A possible way to determine what you have: the Saginaw pump uses Vanes as the fluid pumping member. The Federal pump used a roller pump to move the fluid and I believe the TRW used a spring loaded slipper shoe design. Have you disassembled the pimping part yet? Your pix show a front outlet connection and a round "stove pipe" filler neck....my guess it's a Federal pump.......
BOB RENTON

IMO....I believe MOPAR used either: Federal, TRW-THOMPSON or GM-SAGINAW. A possible way to determine what you have: the Saginaw pump uses Vanes as the fluid pumping member. The Federal pump used a roller pump to move the fluid and I believe the TRW used a spring loaded slipper shoe design. Have you disassembled the pimping part yet? Your pix show a front outlet connection and a round "stove pipe" filler neck....my guess it's a Federal pump.......
BOB RENTON
:).
Mike

Thanks guys. I know the basics about the case differences, but those pieces in the foreground are the flow control valve, and look nothing like the valve the FSM, or anything else I've found on Thompson / TRW pumps show. I have not gotten into the pump apperatus because I stopped to try to ID what it is, how the flow control valve should look, and what kit I'll need. There is only one cap on the flow valve, and the threaded part was sticking out one end when I pulled the can off. It almost looks like there should be another piece to the flow control valve. The large nut on the pressure relieve valve is different than what I have seen for 64 pumps. There was no oblong shim for the two rear bolts, either. Is this possibly an earlier, or later model TRW pump someone used from another car?
I will dig in tomorrow to see if it has slippers, and post an update, assuming the pulley doesn't fight me too long.
This pump worked fine at first so I figured there was garbage in the flow control, and there was rubber caught in the spring, most likely from the two rear bolt seals that are coming apart.

Show us a picture of the back of the can. It is likely a Federal.

Looks like it's a .96 TRW
The metering rod threw me off.
I was expecting a different flow control valve/plug arrangement. The FSM showing pics of three different sizes is a little confusing. I actually found one that's already rebuilt from a 67 GTX in my parts stash, that I forgot about.
Thanks, though.

20231006_183125.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back