• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name a car your parents owned you thought was goofy but now is cool.

My parents had a DeSoto wagon the 6 cylinder motor died a permanent death. My father being a mechanic had access to a wrecked Imperial with a 413 that went into the wagon. My little mild mother would street race kids at stop lights.

20220504_191424.jpg

My parents had a DeSoto wagon the 6 cylinder motor died a permanent death. My father being a mechanic had access to a wrecked Imperial with a 413 that went into the wagon. My little mild mother would street race kids at stop lights.

View attachment 1530953
Cool. (But that picture is a Dodge. A 1955).

My parents had this '59 Savoy when I was born.

IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG

That is one ugly van Jim 68Cuda. On that first color ad, I thought the dude had two chicks until I saw the one guy hiding behind the tree.

I never looked closely and was young when the car took out several concrete posts with the steel cable. It was on a snowy curve at Lake Lackawana in NJ by Falconer's Tavern. Anybody remember what happened there that became a international news story?.

Another car we had was a 1964 Valiant convertible, white red interior, /6, push button trans. Threw a rod on Christmas night in front of the earthen dam for the Jersey City water works on rt. 46 in Parsippany NJ. About 8 pm I was about 8 years old and we were coming from my grandparents house in Bellville before rt. 80 was built.

Not horrible cars, but "mom" had 62 Newport when I was born: 66 Coupe Deville next, then a 1970 Coupe Deville: dad SPOILED THE HELL OUT OF MOM!! mom's mom passed, dad bought the 78(?) Fairmont plane jane to help pop with $$. BIG POS!!!

th-6.jpgth-5.jpg
Not the actual cars but exactly like em. LOVED THAT 70!!!

Class of ‘91 here

My dad had a ‘90 Geo Metro, 5-speed, 3 cylinder, 1.0L/50hp engine.
Took my road test on that car.
It was goofy then and it’s still goofy today to me, if you can even find one in that combination.
The only reason I’d want one today is it touted 53 city/58 hwy mpg.

View attachment 1530892
NO!!! YOU DO NOT WANT 1 OF THOSE!!! You are NOT "CRAZY" there @PlymCrazy !!! NO!!
:rofl:

My dad had a '69 Buick Wildcat. A big tank. It did ok performance wise on the highway. But too big and heavy (with too high rear gear) for any decent acceleration. He hated my muscle cars. My high school '66 GTO he called "A noise maker." I would say "Too much performance for you old man." To which he said. "Your little 389 wouldn't fill my carburetor." At that time he was driving a '72 Pontiac Grandville. Like his Wildcat before. Another big pig GM 430.

To him. If it wasn't the size of an aircraft carrier? It wasn't an automobile.

Family didn't have a car in Brooklyn. Just enough $$ to pay the rent and put food on the table, but worked for every penny they had. Families that had a car in my youth, I thought were high class.

My dad had a 1958 Rambler 4-door hardtop. I never saw another like it. Six cylinder with push button automatic. It was so slow, it was almost dangerous.

If I’m recalling it correctly, Renault and Chrysler partnered up in the late 80’s? Wife and I purchased our first new car, an ’89 Eagle. The touted European style car my wife liked. In-law worked at a Chrysler dealer and got us a deal on it. Think it was the worst car we ever had. Damn the electrical problems it had, costing us a bundle to have repaired. At 60k put it up for sale. A guy that came to look at it asked if the well-known electrical problem these cars had by then, was fixed. Said yes. He bought it..
This is from Grooogle....PARIS -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' merger offer for Renault, which was abandoned in June, was no longer on the table and looked unlikely to be revived for now, Renault Chairman Jean-Dominique Senard said. FCA withdrew its $35 billion offer for Renault after blaming French politics for derailing the talks. (this was on the page in 2019)
Class of ‘91 here

My dad had a ‘90 Geo Metro, 5-speed, 3 cylinder, 1.0L/50hp engine.
Took my road test on that car.
It was goofy then and it’s still goofy today to me, if you can even find one in that combination.
The only reason I’d want one today is it touted 53 city/58 hwy mpg.

View attachment 1530892
Saw one a few weeks ago....the guy was delivering pizza to a Kroger store. Except for the dull paint, it didn't look bad at all.

My folks had New Yorkers, Imperials and Lincoln’s. One 64 Chevy truck, International crew cabs, Dodge Club Cab, 2 Ford crew cabs. Both Fords had to have front end work done, just over the warranty. Dad by that time didn’t haul anything heavy on either one. The brakes failed on the 89, a little over a year after he bought it, rear ended a car at a light. I never owned a Ford, because of both those trucks.

Actually, my Dad dodged a bullet. 1973, I was 18, he was 45. He decided to buy his 1st new car, so fuel prices were up and on his suggestion, we went to a local Subaru dealership to shop. The salesman brought out a stick-shift car, and Dad said "You drive". We drove it a few miles in the country and when we got back to the dealer, he said "Let's go look at Plymouths at Medina Chrysler-Plymouth". Two hours later he bought a beautiful 2 door 1973 Fury III, light green with a forest green vinyl top and 360V8. I took care of the Fury for him and he drove it 10 years and 160,000 miles. A great car!

My folks had New Yorkers, Imperials and Lincoln’s. One 64 Chevy truck, International crew cabs, Dodge Club Cab, 2 Ford crew cabs. Both Fords had to have front end work done, just over the warranty. Dad by that time didn’t haul anything heavy on either one. The brakes failed on the 89, a little over a year after he bought it, rear ended a car at a light. I never owned a Ford, because of both those trucks.
Owned several 1st Mustangs in the mid 70's with two of them being Fastbacks. Really liked the Fastbacks but haven't owned a Ford since selling the last FB in 78.

1963 Chevy Corvair Greenbriar window van. Same blue and white, even the same wheel covers! I was a kid back then, and remember the fuel smell it always seemed to have. These days, I'd love to own one!

1695819548422.png

Auto Transport Service
Back