• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name a car your parents owned you thought was goofy but now is cool.

My parents never owned a cool car.
Packard 4 door ?
'60's F150 ?
1973 Mercury Montego Station wagon
1980 Pontiac Phoenix 4-cyl 4-door
1986 Pontiac 6000 4-door again with the iron duke 4-cylinder, but now fuel injected
1992 ? Dodge Dynasty 4 door, 3.3L engine!
2004 ? Pontiac Aztek

Not goofy, but my dad had a big white 1960 Sport Fury. Not sure what engine. Pretty sure it had push button trans selector. Would be cool to have today.

I never thought of it as goofy but my parents bought a new green and white 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon that may have been equipped with the T-bird engine. For those who aren’t familiar with the Ranch Wagon it was a two door similar to a Chevy Nomad. The picture below is one that was similar to the one that we had.

IMG_0919.png

Everything my parents had except the station wagons needed a motor swap.
'65 corvair base model 3 SPD manual
'68 Biscayne 2 Dr post 6 cyl 3 SPD manual
( motor swap candidate)
'70 Austin America real POS
'72 Kingswood estate 3 row, 400 auto
'74 Vega GT 4 SPD (another engine swap to make cool)
'77 Plymouth Gran Fury SW 400, auto. This car and a lot of reading is what sealed my Mopar fate.
There were some VW bugs mixed in there throughout
Then a Fifth avenue, and a string of mini vans.

Dad fixed up a '54 Ford for Mom back in the early 60s.
IMG_20200430_090110.jpg

Later on she bought the '63 Fairlane
63FLNE1.jpg

63FLNE2.jpg

Then she bought the '67 Skylark
1967-buick-skylark.jpeg

Last car she had was the '62 VW
rutle66.jpg

rutle20.jpg

Dad mostly drove company vehicles working as a claims adjuster. He did have a '63 Cadillac that I always volunteered to wash. I loved the size and styling of that car.
1963_cadillac_park-avenue_1963_cadillac_park-avenue_1963_cadillac_park-avenue_1963_cadillac_pa...jpg

1963_cadillac_park-avenue_1963_cadillac_park-avenue_1963_cadillac_park-avenue_1963_cadillac_pa...jpg

1959 Ford farm truck that I took my driver's license in. You should have seen the look on the officials face. He asked me if I was sure I wanted to take the test in it. Lol (Looked almost exactly like this one, patina and all)
BA887309-015D-420F-9A49-D157D4CB02B6.jpeg

these were all internet pics

1954 Chrysler with a Hemi. That car was big. I thought it was not cool at the time but I'd like to have it now.
My parents bought a 70 Duster in 1971. It was a 318 with a 3 speed manual transmission. Kind of cool but not as nice as my Challenger I had just bought. You can see it in the background in this 1972 photo. I wish I had it now.
Terry W.

June 1972  Medium.jpg

1695873598357.png

1972 Olds Delta 88 sedan. My Ma's favorite car of her entire life. 455.
I was little when this car was the family truckster, my sister and I would climb around in the back on what might as well have been a couch for a back seat. We stood up behind the front seats, because there was enough leg room/floor behind the front bench to literally stand up straight as little kids.
It was devoured by the salt. Ran perfect. Dad parked it because the rear frame was soft and the straps for the gas tank were looking suspect.
6 years later, brother's high school friends come buy it. They took it to the Crandon Brush Runs, entered in the race, were winning by a mile(this thing had power, and studded snow tires lol).... and the gas tank fell off on the last half lap and they DNF. Turns out Dad's concerns were valid, although likely accelerated slightly given the circumstances of that particular outing lol.

Ours was the chocolate brown color GM used in that era. Never looked shiny and clean, but never looked dirty that I recall. It was just the big brown car that road like driving a pillow and had a speedometer that went to 140mph. No, Ma never did that. 70+ once that I saw on old county trunk roads(I asked her how fast it could go when i saw it and she got flustered and slowed down)
Never thought much of it as a kid. Learned more about it when I got into high school (was gone by then). Dad lamented not pulling the engine and dropping it in a 1 ton dually chevy or somthing for the farm.
I would pick an Olds 88/98 over a caddy every day.

we didn't have cool cars. I'm the youngest of 8. My parents were practical, they had to be.

Mom had an Ambassador wagon at one point; after that a 4 door Torino.

Old man always had something to get back and forth to work; I remember a Falcon, a Fairlane, and a Duster.

I hear tales of a 58 Chevy, but it was a 4 door; and some sort of Nash....... but they were before my time

Mom learned on a stick and could drive anything.

I have 5 older brothers, I'm the only car guy. I knew it as early as I can remember and Loved building models as a kid.

I never thought of it as goofy but my parents bought a new green and white 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon that may have been equipped with the T-bird engine. For those who aren’t familiar with the Ranch Wagon it was a two door similar to a Chevy Nomad. The picture below is one that was similar to the one that we had.

View attachment 1531461

Dad bought mom a '59 for her 25th birthday because '59 was the year she was born.

1695901273245.png

It went through a couple of color changes before I got it as a 16th birthday gift and it became my first car. And indeed it had the 352ci, T-bird engine in it. This is what the final resto looked like when I was done with it. Had my hands in everything but spraying the color. Dad was the master at that.

1695901533280.png

1695901549850.png

Feels like this thread is turning into "cars our parents had". I've been fighting posting this, but if you want to see all the cars my parents had I have them all listed in this thread. (Please be advised it is a tribute to my dad after he passed last year and can be a bit heart-wrenching to some).

John S. Rehberg, 8/31/1956 to 9/14/2022, Dad you may be gone but you're always with me...

Dad fixed up a '54 Ford for Mom back in the early 60s.
View attachment 1531473

Later on she bought the '63 Fairlane
View attachment 1531478
View attachment 1531479

Then she bought the '67 Skylark
View attachment 1531474

Last car she had was the '62 VW
View attachment 1531480
View attachment 1531481

Dad mostly drove company vehicles working as a claims adjuster. He did have a '63 Cadillac that I always volunteered to wash. I loved the size and styling of that car.
View attachment 1531475
View attachment 1531476

1959 Ford farm truck that I took my driver's license in. You should have seen the look on the officials face. He asked me if I was sure I wanted to take the test in it. Lol (Looked almost exactly like this one, patina and all)
View attachment 1531477

these were all internet pics
The 63 Cad is one of my favorites.....

There weren't too many cars in my family....at least not when I was growing up. The one I came home in from the hospital was a 51 Cranbrook which wasn't cool and still isn't imo but I did kinda learn how to shift the 3 on the tree in it. That one got replaced with a 56 Plymouth Belvedere Sports Coupe in late 56. That one was replaced with a 63 Dart 170. I drove the 56 once behind the wheel with dad riding shot gun then drove the Dart by myself sometime when I was 13.

My parents never had a cool car. In fact if it didn't have a blue Oval on it Dad wouldn't buy it.
The only cool vehicle he ever owned in my eyes was a 65 F 100 short bed. It was a 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree. It was the first new vehicle he had ever owned. I learned to drive on it when he would stop on the way home and pick me up with the MA Bell van. I was 13 when he would pull over and let me drive for the last 5 miles. There was no power anything, not even a radio.
I can remember him saying, if you can drive this well, you can drive anything. But it was that beautiful turquoise.

To clarify about my dad, he was a CAR GUY, except for his Nash, long before me, THANK THE MAN ABOVE!! Being a car guy, he bought pretty cool cars & trucks. So growing up, he didn't have any "goofy" cars, except the Fairmont & maybe his 78 Horizon, if that counts, I was in Navy by then.

To clarify about my dad, he was a CAR GUY, except for his Nash, long before me, THANK THE MAN ABOVE!! Being a car guy, he bought pretty cool cars & trucks. So growing up, he didn't have any "goofy" cars, except the Fairmont & maybe his 78 Horizon, if that counts, I was in Navy by then.
What was the 'Horizon' called that had the turbo engine in it? Man, that was one crazy box of a car! GLH? Then the GLHS came out. There wasn't a stock Camaro that could beat it back then lol. Btw, GLHS stood for 'goes like hell somemore'!

No turbo, dad used it for back-forth work while paying off debt from loss of business due to fire. Bicycles and mopeds were quicker the dad's Horizon. GLH WAS SWEEEETTTT, buddy in Navy had 1, suprised me how fast that thing was. GLHs were NOT goofy imo!!

Aside from owning the 70 Charger R/T SE, my parents had a 57 Desoto 4 door,a red and white 59 Olds 88 two door,a black with red interior 65 Impala SS,a 62 300H convertible,a 70 Chrysler Newport convertible,a 77 GMC 4x4,an 87 Chrysler New Yorker,and a Chrysler 300M. No goofy cars at my house.

What was the 'Horizon' called that had the turbo engine in it? Man, that was one crazy box of a car! GLH? Then the GLHS came out. There wasn't a stock Camaro that could beat it back then lol. Btw, GLHS stood for 'goes like hell somemore'!
Goes like hell, SHELBY! (Carrol Shelby had a contract with Mopar at that time, and his name was on a glhs)

YUP!! Was in my 20s during this time. Several fellow Navy squids had them.

Auto Transport Service
Back