• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name a cool car that's practical.

1979 - 1991 Ford Country Squire. I've owned two, and that is one car I really wish I had kept. Very practical, economical, easy to service, and just nice-riding cars!

Dodge Magnum wagon. Been looking for a nice one, though they are getting VERY scarce these days.

Jeep Cherokee. One of the very best all-around vehicles out there. When they quit making these, and replaced it with that POS Compass thing, Jeep screwed the pooch bad! Owned one Cherokee. I'd love another!

Right now, my "practical" vehicle is my 2014 VW Passat TDI SE sedan. I have 89K on it now, and have put 50K of that on the car. With 32 city and 43 highway, I'm not complaining! Does everything I need it to. And it looks great, to boot.

C4-7 Corvette? Lots of room under the rear glass, good mileage when cruising, plenty of performance when you want it.

I agree with Magnum wagon choice. I had a 2005 R/T with 5.7 Hemi. The car was reasonably good on gas, with cylinder shutdown. Comfortable and roomy. I had to give it up after double knee replacement. It was just too hard to get out of it. I know have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but sometimes miss the Magnum.

1693601745246.png

1976 AMC Pacer for sale by owner - Soap Lake, WA - craigslist

All of my Porsche’s have met the 2 door requirements. The ‘87-88 924S and all year 944 are very practical and very fun to drive ! Unlike a B Body they also do twisty’s fantastically.
I won’t even get into the 911’s

944s were the best handling car for 15 years, they’re great cars. I almost bought one, but I went for my 280zx instead, because parts are cheaper on Datsuns :lol:

My wife's 09 Challenger R/T Classic is a great choice,with the automatic and MDS it got 28 MPG on the highway,and it can run mid 13s stock.

20180826_180753.jpg

Pretty cool in my book, but would be even better with the motor in the back. No, I don't know if there was ever a transverse 440. I'd be fine if they used the motor and transmission from the 300M (on 2nd thought, AMC wasn't always part of Chrysler so a transverse GM V8 would be a better choice).

All of my Porsche’s have met the 2 door requirements. The ‘87-88 924S and all year 944 are very practical and very fun to drive ! Unlike a B Body they also do twisty’s fantastically.
I won’t even get into the 911’s

Depends on how badly you want the B-body to handle. This highly modified Charger -

was faster and lighter than this turbo LS swapped 914 -

I don't believe the 914 was fully dialed in yet, but I bet the Charger has room to grow too.

Pretty cool in my book, but would be even better with the motor in the back. No, I don't know if there was ever a transverse 440. I'd be fine if they used the motor and transmission from the 300M (on 2nd thought, AMC wasn't always part of Chrysler so a transverse GM V8 would be a better choice).

Depends on how badly you want the B-body to handle. This highly modified Charger -

was faster and lighter than this turbo LS swapped 914 -

I don't believe the 914 was fully dialed in yet, but I bet the Charger has room to grow too.

Why would a Pacer need a transverse anything? Putting the motor in the back would make it even more useless as a truck, which it purports to be.
Still, for $1000 it might be worth the Chrysler parts.

Why would a Pacer need a transverse anything? Putting the motor in the back would make it even more useless as a truck, which it purports to be.
Still, for $1000 it might be worth the Chrysler parts.

I've driven trucks. With no weight over the rear wheels, it doesn't take much power to get them spinning. It's actually not fun. Unless you're a drifter or something, I don't know. In regular driving I find it annoying.

IMO the truck Pacer would be better off with the weight over the rear wheels, not in the nose. Technically that would make it a truck only in appearance, but it's got a radiator in the bed so it can't be used as a truck anyway. If the engine was in the rear, maybe it could get a little frunk.

If I had the money/time maybe I would build it. It looks like it has some Hot Wheels Legends Tour potential. It might not win, but it would get attention. I think the 7 year old me would have loved it. Especially if a big motor was sitting in the rear.

Auto Transport Service
Back