• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name a cool car that's practical.

Of all the cars I have owned over the years the Dodge Magnum R/T AWD is a contender for an all purpose fun car.

I have my share of gripes about some stuff on the car, mostly the AWD that is designed for the V6, like others mentioned I wish Dodge held on to the Magnum for just a little longer to at very least get the Eagle 5.7 and the newer AWD set up. I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD with 190,000 on it now. The coupler between the transmission and the transfer case is soft on the mid 2006 and earlier models, I replaced that at 140K. I refreshed the engine about 12K miles ago because I had an oil filter collapse on a -30* cold start and didn’t build oil pressure. I since switched to a filter like we run on our big block mopars. While into it, I put a bigger cam in it, with a better tune. Since I have owned it, it has always had a cold air set up an aftermarket exhaust.Also got rid of the MDS, changed the tune, and disabled the factory top speed 130 mph limiter. It pulls hard to 6000 now, is a blast to drive. Even on gravel roads the AWD keep the car planted to the road. Fold the seat down and it is like a truck, back seat is comfy with great leg room.

My other driver is a 09 Challenger R/T. I love to drive the Challenger, but for overall use and utility, is is not remotely close to as good as the Magnum. Curiousyellow71 on here took my stock Challenger down the track and it appears it will run high 13s consistently, but the Magnum is every bit as fast with the upgrades to the engine. Later last year we bought a 2018 GMC Arcadia, AWD SUV. While it is nice, with lots of fancy gadgets, and does most of the same things the Magnum does, except seats 7 people, it is terribly BORING to drive compared to the magnum. Plus half the time when we go to a parking lot we have to look at the licence plates to see which Arcadia is ours! I have MUCH more fun driving the Magnum.

E6051426-8E5F-4DDB-A584-CCC9E014A685.jpeg

97FA83FD-3B26-4F79-85EF-E22DE6DFEB0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Best daily, reliable, fun to drive car in the fleet. Soon to be sold!

02DB2DF3-AAC9-4912-812D-BA28FB2605AF.png

you guys ever take the awd hemi to a parking lot and turn the traction control off, now that's fun!

Like others have mentioned, AWD Hemi Charger.
Mine is a '13. I opted for black with black and more black, but polished wheels(with black powder coat between the spokes). The VVT 5.7 makes this 4500lb car scoot. I can drive it through a foot of snow if need be, though I try to get the tow rig out if it gets that big. Better on ice then any vehicle I have ever owned.
I have responded to every survey Chrysler sent me with "if you make a scat pack AWD I will be at the dealer tomorrow to trade in" but I guess they don't want to sell me any more cars?
I also agree on the Magnum opinions here. Almost bought one during the last cash for clunkers fallout but people wanted too much for them even though I really wanted one. How I ended up with my new Charger(at the time)

I would love to get my hands on a cts-v,manual/ wagon if one came up for a good price! I've got a GM tech son or I wouldn't even consider it!
proabably cheaper owning that 1mil cuda than a cadi out of warranty!

Vans, an old Dodge van with Free Candy written on the side. It would pick up a lot of chicks. My girlfriend and I want an old shagging wagon.

This is what my 18 year old boy cruises the streets with and pulls more attention and pootang pie than I’ve ever seen. All original paint and everything 83 SS

A4042B96-97FA-45E4-A243-7AAB4EC8C18F.jpeg

EFA7ABFD-180C-4128-9DE5-AC4E15EB660A.jpeg

This is what my 18 year old boy cruises the streets with and pulls more attention and pootang pie than I’ve ever seen. All original paint and everything 83 SS

View attachment 1418020

View attachment 1418021
I purchased an 88 brand new 20K! was actually last one built ,GM purchased the car back from me in 90 for 20K! good driving cars but at wot which takes about 10 miles to achieve car inside sounded like I was carrying 2 beehives! should have bought a GNX LMAO

I purchased an 88 brand new 20K! was actually last one built ,GM purchased the car back from me in 90 for 20K! good driving cars but at wot which takes about 10 miles to achieve car inside sounded like I was carrying 2 beehives! should have bought a GNX LMAO
We’ve owned about 7 Monte SS in every year except a 88 and I’ve never had 1 sound like that. They are actually too quiet. The 83 and 84 are actually the fastest because of the 350 transmission. I’ve got a solid silver 86 SS that I’m selling my brother. I had a 86 GN with the rare digital dash and it was the biggest POS I’ve ever owned. The digital gauges quit working and it started missing and the turbo wouldn’t spool up. Back then there wasn’t a lot of people who knew how to work on them or fix them. I think if we all knew what those GNX was going to bring we all would’ve bought a couple of those. Lol But I still like the Monte Carlo SS body better. I was offered $20k for my boys blue one already this year. It’s just a nice all original car.

576F8A9A-BDE8-4038-BCDE-0EB216686838.png

I drove a GNX new - dad was a huge Cutlass guy and the Buick dealer was right across the street. I talked him into going over to look at the ones they had on the lot - one on display inside, one out on the lot. Salesman knew dad through the Olds dealer across the street, offered a test drive. He waffled, but I jumped at it. We took it out, and I think I had the salesman turning green in the back seat. Damn things were FAST. Got me hooked on boost right then and there. Dad bought a black Cutlass Supreme with 307, auto, t-tops, console/buckets, and factory alloys. Left the parking slip in it at the DC Metro park and ride one day....and it got swiped. I eventually ended up buying my first car from the Olds (and Dodge) dealer in '91 - my Daytona C/S turbo. Nobody wanted a manual trans in DC traffic so I got a great deal on it, and I still have it. Dad regretted not buying the car next to it, for decades - a 91 Daytona Shelby, same colors (white, white wheels, maroon interior) but the difference was the Shelby had leather and an automatic.

I still have my Daytona. Still love it. And, still love boost. But, not much for practical - I dated a woman with a small kid for a while, and the only way to get the kid seat in the back seat was through the liftgate. Ugh. Good thing I'm tall!

My dads first car was a Laser, but the laser couldn’t pull his boat, so he sold it to buy a truck, bachelor problems right :rofl:

My first car was an 84 Daytona turbo z. It was a basket case and I never got it running right, gave up and sold it. I might have driven it a mile, but just barley

E990D4CB-B498-4816-B269-7A0F03F0A1AD.jpeg

If you aren't patient and able to read the vacuum diagram under the hood...yeah, they can be a nightmare. The little plastic tubes can turn to dust if you look at them crosseyed - but if you keep up on them and make sure there's no leaks or breaks, the hardware is pretty bulletproof! I prefer the 87 and later blowthrough design, to the early suck-through throttle bodies...easier to mod, add intercoolers, etc...but the early ones can be converted.

The original engine was apart in the back seat, it was cheaper to buy another engine that was together. The problem was it was a later turbo 2, and the turbo 1 computer didn’t want to talk to it. It didn’t have a title, and had a lot of rust, so after 2 years I made the difficult decision to sell it

ah, yep...that'll do it. I have an Omni GLHS with a similar problem now - complete car, all Shelby bits intact, documented through the Shelby VIN lists....but no title. And, NY shows a lien on it!! It's a freakin' 1986!!!

I need to get a title issued by one of our southern states, I guess....

Those Volvo wagons are great, but not really cool. I know a guy that had 600k miles on his, came to work one day in a different vehicle, asked where the shaggin waggon was. He said it spit a rod out while sitting at a stop sign

Auto Transport Service
Back