• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name something cool or weird about your area that most people don't know.

SteveSS

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
We have this thing caled "The Inlclne." It's for really fit altheletes only.

The Manitou Incline has been hailed as the holy grail of cardio for locals and athletes, alike. The once railroad track now consists of approximately 2,744 steps made entirely of railroad ties! Although it’s only one mile in length, the ascension averages a 41% incline (68% at its highest) and a 2,000 foot climb in elevation! Phew! That’s a lot of stairs! That’s even more than the Empire State Building! Needless to say, this hike isn’t for the faint of heart or heights. The Manitou Incline is considered one of the highest sets of stairs in the world! This trail is rated Extreme. So, if you think you have what it takes to conquer it, here are a few tips to surviving the Manitou Incline.

Manitou_Incline.jpg

manitou-incline-072016-4380.jpg

Most don't know the true history or it's original name Gekelmukpechunk, beautiful place.

Newcomerstown is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States, 85 miles (137 km) east-northeast of Columbus. In the late 1770s, this was the largest Delaware Indian village on the Tuscarawas River, with 700 residents. Chief Newcomer (Netawatwes) was the leader of the western Delawares here, and they called the village Gekelmukpechunk. Early French traders and English settlers named the village Newcomerstown after the chief.[4] Soon after the start of the American Revolutionary War, the Delawares moved west to Coshocton, about halfway through what is now the next county.[5

Could’ve done it when I was in the Army, now, I need the elevator.

This reminds me of a joke.
These 2 drunks were to drunk to drive so they walked home from the bar.
They wound up walking on the railroad tracks for miles.
The one drunk says to the other.
This long *** stairway is really killing me!
His buddy replies.
It's not the stairway that's killing me, it's this low handrail!

I live half a mile from Fort Ritchie, MD:

Fort Ritchie - Wikipedia

About | Ritchie History Museum

Some VERY cool history here. Started by the Maryland NG in 1926, on a site that was started in 1889 as an ice supply spot (lakes for cutting ice in the winter). 500+/- acres that was active until the 1990s, with some of the most AMAZING stone buildings you'll ever see. Not built by the corps of engineers, either - built by the troops who were sent there. Hand stacking and learning as they went. POWs, "Ritchie Boys" WWII behind-the-lines German-speaking soldiers, Underground Pentagon...and about 3 miles from Camp David (I think - it's 3 miles from an 8' fence topped with razor wire, that I assume is Camp David, lol).

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trbimg.jpg

.staticflickr.com%2F2527%2F3885891999_d1fe5e432e_z.jpg

.staticflickr.com%2F893%2F41049800311_02e9ff0434_b.jpg

n%2Fimage-2%2FClifford_Lang_Brokaw-Fort-Ritchie-HQ.jpg

About 2 years ago, a private citizen purchased the entire fort facility with an eye to renovating the (amazing) buildings, and bringing businesses, retail, food, entertainment, and residential areas back to the fort. He is doing an amazing job - just last month, all the "finger buildings" (narrow barracks, in the left of the photo showing the Model T's) got brand new roofing and are currently undergoing interior renovations as a retail "outside shop center", putting a little shop in each building. He's got a local Urgent Care facility on site; he's renovated all the enlisted housing from black-mold-encased TRASH to beautiful new apartments (and rented all of them!); they're bringing weddings and events to Lakeside Hall; they're doing 4th of July fireworks; they've opened a cafe on-site...it's amazing to see all this happening. They're also bulldozing all the overgrowth from the various buildings around the site, to clean up, preserve, and renovate. To date, I don't think he's demolished a single structure.

Home | Ritchie Revival

I ride my mountain bike daily here; half a mile downhill and I'm on the (no traffic) fort. There is a route I follow that lets me see 90% of the buildings on site, and nets me a nearly-5-mile ride each day. Great for cardio, and great to see these beautiful buildings coming back to life!

I live about 15 miles from, and used to work in, St. Thomas, Ontario. This city is located halfway between Detroit and Buffalo. In the Age of Steam, many international railroads ran through the city, with many R.R. companies locating their repair/maintenance yards there. Over the years, 26 different railways ran through St. Thomas, leading to it being known as The Railway City. In September of 1885, P.T. Barnum brought the Barnum and Baily circus to town by rail. The star of the circus was Jumbo the Elephant, the largest elephant in the world at the time. One night, after the show, Jumbo was being lead back to his railcar. Tragically, an oncoming fright train hit and killed him. This was huge news at the time.
One hundred years later, a life size statue of Jumbo was erected at the western entrance into St. Thomas via Hwy. 3, to honour this sad event. This was St. Thomas's infamous legacy for many years. Now, the city is known for recently attracting a VW "gigafactory" to assemble batteries for EV's. St. Thomas accumulated 1500 acres of former farmland for this project, and is said to be the largest such project in North America.

Located on the drive up to Crater Lake. The drive between Crater Lake and the Ocean is real nice.

In all of the other 49 states.....moss only grows on the north side of the rock.

Here in Washington state......moss grows on ALL sides of the rock.

That's about as special as it gets around here..... :lol:

If you aren’t in danger of being bit, stabbed or stung you aren’t here.

I’m sure you’d eat that!

We occasionally get orange rain, that's all I got its oklahoma

Stuff in north east WI:
-Manitowoc built submarines in WW2. Sputnik also crashed here back in the day. (we gave it back)
-Marinette builds navy ships, right now
-Oshkosh Truck makes military trucks, the JLTV replaced the hummer
-Seagrave in tiny little Clintonville makes fire trucks for the whole country. They also invented four wheel drive over a century ago and made the first FWD trucks for the military for WW1. Want to see something cool? Find videos of old 1950's FWD snow plow trucks at work. 2 stroke diesel. Front bumper is eye level and the front pumpkin is about 18" in diameter lol.
-The village of Bear Creak has the world largest Saur Kraut factory. The population is 346.
-marathon county grows almost all ginseng in the US and about 10% of the worlds supply.
- Harry Houdini was born in Appleton.
-The Peshtigo fire was the deadliest wildfire in US history
-The EAA in Oshkosh is the worlds largest annual gathering of aviators and largest air show.

C'mon Roger63. I lived in Oklahoma. Yo've got the big *** driller in Tulsa. Everyone might know this because he sang about it often but Leon Russell is from Tulsa. That little town of Wakita, Oklahoma that got wiped out in the movie Twister actually exists. They have a Museum dedicated to the film there.

leon.jpg
tulsa-golden-driller-oil-statue.jpg
Wakita.jpg

Deer Park Texas is commonly called 'the birth place of Texas' but San Jacinto State Park (the battle of San Jacinto) is actually in La Porte. What most don't know is that the monument there is 15 feet taller than the Washington monument but big deal, right? Everything has to be bigger in Texas. I moved to DP in 63 and lived there for several years and spent lots of time out at the park as a kid and even drag raced out there late at night after getting my license and there used to be car clubs get togethers during the summer but not sure that still happens. One or two passes out there was all we were willing to risk but it was the only place with a long 2 lane blacktop with no traffic. Still live in the area about a 1/2 mile south of the DP city limits and even closer to the La Porte city limits on the west side from them. Anyways, the Washington monument is 88 years older than the SJM.

What is the actual Birthplace of Texas?

In early March 1836, the unlikely town of Washington, a small, rough-hewn, ramshackle town, which had sprung up around a ferry landing next to the Brazos River, entered the history books as the birthplace of Texas but George Moffit Patrick was located in Deer Park on Buffalo Bayou, and a historical representation of the structure stands in Heritage Park. Because of these significant events, Deer Park holds the distinction of being the true “Birthplace of Texas.” He represented Liberty Municipality in the Consultation of 1835 and on November 13 signed the articles that established the provisional government of Texas.....

Sounds to me like there's some politics in there lol

San_Jacinto_Monument.jpg

Does a dinosaur state park count? It was discover in the mid 60's when the state was constructing a new highway dept building. It was a large enough find that they found a new site for the building and put a dome over the tracks. I'm only about 4 miles from and rarely think about it. In fact the last time I went to it was when my Jr High concert band played at the grand opening.

Auto Transport Service
Back