• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need a new gas tank...choices?

djais1801

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
So my car came in...it's as described, except for the rust hole in the gas tank that's seaping. NAPA asked if it was an "emissions" tank?
Rock Auto has one "without EEC"...does anyone know:

A- what is "EEC"?
B- how to detect if my tank has EEC or not EEC

my car was originally a FLA car, not sure if that matters

Any help would be appreciated!!

that might be for a califorina car? extra vents for pollution junk

get a spectra premium tank, they have a good rep
i think they are made in canada
jeff at 521 restorations carries them and i've seen them on ebay also
reuse your sender, the new ones suck
your car was built in st louis

thanks Frank but 521 Resto are all "out of stock". I will check rock auto
that might be for a califorina car? extra vents for pollution junk

get a spectra premium tank, they have a good rep
i think they are made in canada
jeff at 521 restorations carries them and i've seen them on ebay also
reuse your sender, the new ones suck
your car was built in st louis

- - - Updated - - -

69 Roadrunner 383 4 speed
What car are you working with?

Last edited:
I was pleased with my Spectra tank.
I wish I had known and considered a stainless before replacing my 69 RR.
It looks like about twice the cost. But might be worth it.
Funny. The RR is the second BBody I've found in which the gas tank was swollen and rusty on the outside.
But when I took it off the car, the inside was clean.

Vans sells stainless steel ones on ebay.

those are pricey and another option.

i just know that the spectra is a known quality piece
and some of the cheap china ones people have had problems/grief with.
i would get the spectra part number for my car and search amazon/ebarf for one
or go stainless as mentioned above.

I think I covered this pretty thoroughly for you today in e-mails. Amazon works out to be the cheapest for the Spectra Premium with free shipping.
I would wait on sending unit till you see how well your unit works since the new one's now a days are problematic. Tank, straps bolts/nuts and grommet.
Ron

Yup-ordered it from Amazon today
I think I covered this pretty thoroughly for you today in e-mails. Amazon works out to be the cheapest for the Spectra Premium with free shipping.
I would wait on sending unit till you see how well your unit works since the new one's now a days are problematic. Tank, straps bolts/nuts and grommet.
Ron

So stainless steel would be optimal for being corrosion resistant compaired to the galvanized tank. With the fuels of today, how well is the cheaper galvanized tank going to hold up? Are todays autos useing these tanks or are they mostly plastic?

Ron
Don't forget the sending unit's gasket.

EEC means Evaporative Emissions Control. Which is the system for capturing fuel vapors instead of atmospheric venting. For your year, they were on California cars only, if memory serves me.

I picked up a tank for my 68 coronet from right stuff detailing, got it through summit. No problems at all

Auto Transport Service
Back