• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a pic of 833OD linkage in a 68 B-body or equivalent

67Charger

Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
I've got a Van 833OD in my '68 Charger. The van shifter mounting plate was a piece of steel that put it high and forward of the B-body mounting holes. I have the correct shifter mount now, the van rods/levers, and a set of the aftermarket zinc-plated 68 B-body rods/levers. I can't get a combo to work without cutting/welding/bending. Who has pics of what they finally settled on? The only one that works close was the 3/4 inverted with the rod straightened out for less offset. The other 2 are being a pain.

I've got a long bench seat mount 71-74 setup on a 1987 truck trans.

I might be able to get some pics this weekend.

It shifts great once I figured out that someone put the spring shims in the shifter mechanism wrong.

You know the 3-4 rod goes on upside down, right?

Yeah, 3/4 is upside down, and I made that one work by flattening the bends to get the offset inboard/outboard correct. The other 2 rods in the aftermarket kit seem to have the offset backwards, but the length correct. I can solve it with a torch and a vise, but I can't be the only one to have this setup mounted in a '68 B-body (close pad, short rods). My van rods are too short since it was mounted up higher, closer, and rotated forward.
Thanks!

The rods and the mount are kind of made for each other.

Do yours match?

Here's mine-

IMG_20180206_175047.jpg
IMG_20180206_175039.jpg

I have the set from the van, which is close, but obviously wrong for the B-body shifter location, and I have this set...
https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/sr687

The Y-O rods use plastic bushings and cannot be mixed with the factory transmission levers. The long rod works now that I have flattened it to reduce the offset to about 1/4". The other two would only work if I REVERSED the offsets completely. It looks like the only solution is a torch, but it makes no sense to me... Why is a replacement set so far off and still being sold, or does the van shifter just use a LOT less offset?

Last edited:
I believe the mount for mine was the same as you describe for yours.
The trans came from a full size truck.
Although the mount puts the shifter in a similar location, it was closer to the center line of the trans.

Have you tried Brewers for the correct rods for your mount application?

I can't believe "replacements" would be that far off, but I've seen a few things that simply do not work, and cause me to think "WTF were they thinking, did they even try one"?

Call brewers. Thats what they do. The rods need to match the mounting plate.

I will. ...and I am using the correct shifter mounting plate for B-bodies.

Auto Transport Service
Back