• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advise on 70RR front end problem

70RR

Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Need advise on 69RR front end problem

I am normally a turn key type or close to it buyer as I suck at figuring out problems…I have some knowledge but, I have a friend that is more of a mechanic than me..so I need some help here with my front end issue on this 1969 Roadrunner…I posted this in tech help I think in error first

# 1. The 69 RR has had need of front end work since I bought it years ago as turning to the drivers side radius was greater than the left..I only drove it 500 miles since 2006. It never effected driving only turning. I drove it to Sarasota from Tampa <60 miles one way> down I-75 and very smooth ride..My guess was ball joint, tie rods..
# 2. My biggest issue ..I had to replace the wheel studs and only the drivers side front was a problem…Even after using brake tool I had to pound the drum with rubber mallet..When I was putting it back together it was loose from side to side….I think a lot of movement..So did I make a problem worse ..Did a part come lose..Do I need to rebuild the front end..If yes, from the info provided what would be my first course of action…As I expected ..I drove it about 1500 feet and it felt like I was driving a boat..It floats..As I stated before I suck at determining the problem ..Can fix with help from my friends…Need any info to help me solve my problem or get started down the right road....I am looking to sell in a few months but, I want it done right so if it only need to replace some of the front end vs. all of it that is what I would prefer…Please PM me or post with any advise....Thanks for all your help..Rick C. Tampa Fl
License

Last edited:
you said it was loose from side to side, what are you referring to? As in you put the wheel back on and now you can grab the 3 and 9 oclock position of the tire and you have movement? Any movement here is steering related i.e. outer tie rod, inner tie rod, pitman arm, or idler arm. It really helps to have a second set of eyes when doing this to narrow the problem down to which component is bad. Also, jack the car up under the lower control arm and grab the 12 and 6 oclock position of the tire and try to shake the wheel in and out. Any movement here is in the wheel bearings or upper ball joint. Grab a pry bar and place it under the tire and pry up and down, any movement here will be lower ball joint. Again, having a second set of eyes is a big help when checking suspension components.

http://3carsz.com/suspension-system/tie-rod-end-inspection_347/attachment/how-to-check-tie-rod-ends

http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/14273/css/14273_306.htm

Thank you very very much

Thank you for taking the time to help point me in the right direction..
I was thinking I would never get a reply..You are correct on your first diagnosis it moves from 3 to 9 side to side. I have been trying to look at this by myself to at least get a clue what is wrong with NO luck...Your links you provided will also will get me going..I am going to start with info you provided in next few days and see what happens..Again thank you for your assitance it is very much appreciated..70RR / Rick

I just posted a big "how to" article describing how to check your front suspension. You mentioned you have movement from side to side (3 and 9) that narrows it down to the steering setup. Grab a friend and have them shake the wheel as you look at the steering components to narrow it down. Keep us posted as to what you find!

Auto Transport Service
Back