• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need block translation

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
I finally got all my plugs replaced, 3 from under the car. While I was under there I found some of the block stamps. Anyone care to decipher these?

I think it's telling me the engine block was cast 11/4/69 but I'm not sure about the number with the -7 at the end. Also what is the little dial below telling me?

IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6276.jpg

D.N arrow is showing Night shift. Clock shows time. -7 is casting revision or mold. Not exactly sure.

-7 means 7th time this mold was used.
It is generally used 10 times before discarded unless
a major issue is found in the casting

Would most likely be in a 70 MY car. It should say F440 on the pad.

12:00 Midnight.

The one arrow shows Night shift. The other arrow points to the time of shift. Note that there are only 8 dots to point at; as in 8 hours in a shift. So, it is not really a clock ( that would have 12 dots ), but shows the casting was done in the last hour of night shift. The -7 would show how many times a core section has been replaced due to out-of-spec dimensions. A new core would be -1, so this one has had 6 replacements.

So, last hour of night shift, casting repaired/used 7 times out of 10, this thing IS GONNA BLOW!!!

RUUUUNNNNNNN!!

Wait, it runs perfectly. I'm so embarrassed...

Auto Transport Service
Back