• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need guidance on recovering seats

TT from NH

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
I am recovering my bucket seats on my 68 Dodge Coronet 500. I have the covers and foam from Legendary. As I was removing the old covers, I noticed the burlap with wire stays. Most of the wire stays have rotted and the burlap is shot. My questions are:

1) What general advice do you have for me in cleaning up and reupholstering these seats? Any and all tips and warnings are appreciated!
2) Do I need this burlap and the wire stays?
3) If so, where do I buy stuff like this?

Thanks!
Terry

IMG_6871.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG

Try to keep the covers warm by letting them sit out in the sun or by applying heat in moderation, especially when using new foam.

Legendary has utube videos. I was watching one about covering 69 charger seats.

You can get the burlap at Walmart in the sewing section. It keeps the springs from cutting into the foam.

To do it right, strip it all down. Media blast the frames and start building up from there. Regrading the burlap, you should be able to get it local as mentioned but not the wires installed. Either lace new wires in or contact Legendary to see if they have these premade. I know you can get that from Al Knoch. Just did a C2 Corvette project and I bought burlap with the wires from them.

If you don’t do upholstry every day just take your time and be patient. As mentioned, heat is on your side.

1) What general advice do you have for me in cleaning up and reupholstering these seats? Any and all tips and warnings are appreciated!
A thread that may be useful..........

If the wires are still good I have just put a double layer of burlap cloth under it for support. Might be better to put a layer below and one above though.

An upholsterer told me to hog ring the thin marine carpet to the seat frames to replace the burlap with listing wires in it. It has worked perfectly and does not stink.

Auto Transport Service
Back