• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help 440 dodge moterhome

racer96boyd

Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I recently got a motor home from my folks. That's been sitting for 15 years. They said my stepbrother got it running a year ago, but it wouldn't stay running. I put a new Carburetor on it. It has spark fuel sprays into the engine I even put a cup full down the carb and used starting fluid no start.after hours off trying I pulled a plug dry as a bone no gas at all on plug why is fuell not getting to plugs.

If there is no sign of like at all [ cough, spluttering ], it has probably lost spark. Check the rotor & cap for carbon tracking, voltage to the coil etc.

check for voltage at the coil with key in the run position and crank position. if non present...check to verify voltage on both sides of ballast resistor with key in run position.
if present on only one side.....replace ballast resistor. if no voltage on either side.....check wiring and ignition switch.
another common problem: your cpu/ignition brain could be bad and not firing your coil.

Sitting that long has spark and zero fuel getting to the chambers I'd check for blockage in the intake... maybe a mouse house or two

Last edited:
Check spark by pulling a plug and putting it into the spark plug boot and lay it on the intake
manifold. Crank the engine and watch it. You can also put your finger in the hole to see if the
spark occurs at the right time! An engine needs three things to run. Air, fuel, and spark.

Auto Transport Service
Back