• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Choosing Cam, Crank, and Rods

Najib

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
I have been troubled once again. I am getting ready to get all my parts around since I just got my 440 back from the machine shop. I got 906 heads that are ported. I am going to be running a tunnel ram setup with 2 efi carbs from FiTech. I am still deciding if I want to actually run a tunnel ram or if I should just run a hi rise dual carb intake which In my opinon might work better. I am also trying to decide if I should use my stock crank or just get a eagle crank. I have heard that somtimes the eagle crank does crack. Not sure cause I have never actually used eagle. I have also heard that 440 source was decent but trying to save some money while still doing the job right. I am wanting a hydraulic roller cam kit that comes with the cam, lifters. valve locks, etc. I am looking a cam with a nasty thump thats around 4-500 degree lobe lift. I am also looking for a mechanical advance distributor I got gears laying around the shop that I would use for the distributor depending on the cam. Also running arp bolts and studs for the whole motor. I havent got a stall converter due to me not finding a cam and what the cam company calls for torque converter wise. I havent decided what rear end gear ratio to use. I just need suggestions on parts that work well together well and what has worked for you guys the best.

If You havent seen any of my other embarrassing post of mine I am running a 73 charger se that im restoring at the moment. Disc break conversion on the rear and different front brake system in the front. I am getting ready to take the body off to blast it and see what needs repaired. I got fairly lucky as there is really only front fender rust that I am seeing so far, and some floor pan rust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263541278124 <--- Heres the Distributor I would like to use.

What PISTONS ?
as the Piston Part # will give people some idea of available psi Cylinder pressure for Camshaft profile selection on the 906 Heads/Tunnel setup..... Flow Sheet on the Ported 906's would be nice as well ?

and,
What 'stock' Crankshaft ? Forged Steel Crank or Cast Crank ?

What PISTONS ?
as the Piston Part # will give people some idea of available psi Cylinder pressure for Camshaft profile selection on the 906 Heads/Tunnel setup..... Flow Sheet on the Ported 906's would be nice as well ?

and,
What 'stock' Crankshaft ? Forged Steel Crank or Cast Crank ?

I am looking twords a forged steel crank and the 906 head i have arent ported I was thinking of another motor I had. also it is stock bore and also need help choosing what type of pistons i should get maybe flat? idk

I am looking twords a forged steel crank and the 906 head i have arent ported I was thinking of another motor I had. also it is stock bore and also need help choosing what type of pistons i should get maybe flat? idk

OK.... I'm officially confused again, seems it doesn't take much these days ?

You just got the Engine back from the Machine Shop.....
and
you do NOT have any Pistons yet ?

THAT.... isn't a real good recipe because invariably without Boring/Honing to the next oversize you are probably stuck with whatever Pistons were originally used in the stock bores.... lest any 'new' better Compression Ratio Piston will undoubtedly place the rings in a different position where they will be trying to run OVER whatever minimal ridge is present however even minimal ?

Sounds like we'd need to know what's already been done to the block by the shop. Just cleaned and magged? Or bored, honed and decked as well?

Yes we could use a little more info, what is your target or goal , fuel available? BUDGET? Weight of said charger, trans and rear gear combo , 10 second street car in stock trim? Just trying to help ! Actual condition of block, over bore, journals etc.

I have been troubled once again. I am getting ready to get all my parts around since I just got my 440 back from the machine shop. I got 906 heads that are ported. I am going to be running a tunnel ram setup with 2 efi carbs from FiTech. I am still deciding if I want to actually run a tunnel ram or if I should just run a hi rise dual carb intake which In my opinon might work better. I am also trying to decide if I should use my stock crank or just get a eagle crank. I have heard that somtimes the eagle crank does crack. Not sure cause I have never actually used eagle. I have also heard that 440 source was decent but trying to save some money while still doing the job right. I am wanting a hydraulic roller cam kit that comes with the cam, lifters. valve locks, etc. I am looking a cam with a nasty thump thats around 4-500 degree lobe lift. I am also looking for a mechanical advance distributor I got gears laying around the shop that I would use for the distributor depending on the cam. Also running arp bolts and studs for the whole motor. I havent got a stall converter due to me not finding a cam and what the cam company calls for torque converter wise. I havent decided what rear end gear ratio to use. I just need suggestions on parts that work well together well and what has worked for you guys the best.

If You havent seen any of my other embarrassing post of mine I am running a 73 charger se that im restoring at the moment. Disc break conversion on the rear and different front brake system in the front. I am getting ready to take the body off to blast it and see what needs repaired. I got fairly lucky as there is really only front fender rust that I am seeing so far, and some floor pan rust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263541278124 <--- Heres the Distributor I would like to use.
Ok so what are you trying to build?

There I wont help you.

Auto Transport Service
Back