• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help decoding 440 engine pad!

mikey1246

Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
Just snagged this 440 for a future project, but the engine pad has me totally confused! Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

Sure looks like a '69 model year Hi-Po 440 built on second shift.

With a bit of restamping, from the looks of it. I think it would be unlikely that it was cast on 5/23 and built on 6/1?? But who knows??

Sure looks like a '69 model year Hi-Po 440 built on second shift.

With a bit of restamping, from the looks of it. I think it would be unlikely that it was cast on 5/23 and built on 6/1?? But who knows??
Would it have been restamped at the factory...and why?

Would it have been restamped at the factory...and why?
The more I look ,it appears maybe a reman in 77.
Does it have a cast crank dampner on it.
The fat one.

It was pulled from a '69 Superbee. Don't know if it was original to the car or not.
Not original to a Bee, unless a sixpack car... and I'm pretty sure that's too late a production date. I can double check.
Edit: checked the lift off registry, latest legit Vin is in the 309xxx area, and lynch road is where all the A12s, were built, so........?

Last edited:
Too bad some guy in an engine shop had to mess up the pad. Bees didn't come with 440's unless it was an A12. Not sure where that VIN fits into their Aprilish production, but the casting date is certainly toooo late.

Machine date is 6 17
so that’s 28 days from the casting date of 5 23
thats totally possible.

looks like the correct steel crank balancer

Darrin (Big D A12) says he thinks my A12 was built in the middle of June, 69, with a 293xxx Vin. (4/26 spd). Since there are legit vins up into 306xxx to 309xxx, Sixpack Bee engine is possible.
Short of finding the original car however, impossible to prove.

Just located the car that this engine came out of and the vehicle VIN matches my engine VIN pad. It's a real '69 Superbee 6-pack car, and now has a stroker engine in it.

Just located the car that this engine came out of and the vehicle VIN matches my engine VIN pad. It's a real '69 Superbee 6-pack car, and now has a stroker engine in it.
Wow! Now if the guy has no interest in it, hang on till the car gets a new owner...

Wow! Now if the guy has no interest in it, hang on till the car gets a new owner...
He would be a fool not to buy and have the original engine with the car. That is a rarity, and a huge mistake to separate them!

Too bad some guy in an engine shop had to mess up the pad. Bees didn't come with 440's unless it was an A12. Not sure where that VIN fits into their Aprilish production, but the casting date is certainly toooo late.
Really. The stamper was on one that day!:fool:

Auto Transport Service
Back