• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Decoding 68 Charger Vin

The Rebel

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
North Shore Classics: http://www.justamericanmusclecars.com/1968-dodge-charger---california-car---c-2083.htm

According to the website it's: XP29F8G25XXXX,

I've been able to decode it as noted below but after that I don't get it as the numbers seem out of wack, so I'm hoping it's a typing error on their part

X = Charger
P = Premium
29 = 2 Dr Hardtop

Capture.JPG

There is a 68 Charger registry on this site. I just entered my info on it a few weeks ago.
enter "Charger Registry" in the search window. It should come up.

I guess it is "1968 Charger Registry"

Last edited:
The vin# is not on that plate in 1968. the first four digits are xp29, some numbers are the engine code,trans code, production date, then lastly the Sequential order number. The plate is so painted over I could help with more if I could read it better.car is a 318 car with 904 transmission.

F=318 2 barrel, 8=1968, G=St. Louis Assembly Plant

I cant really make out much of the fender tag either. They really laid the paint on there

Thanks, finally heard back from the seller: Not a #'s matching car & no factory documentation

Very true, but from what it seems to me after reading many posts, not having #'s matching , no fender tag or build sheet is asking for trouble. I'm not a 100% purist but would like to have some vehicle history.

It is still a charger, which is a good thing!

Numbers matching is of little or no consequence for a 1968 charger, 318 or not. The model is the most sought after in any condition. 318 chargers start out high, and just keep going up as the engine option gets larger. Try to buy it if you haven't yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back