• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help figuring out which power steering pump

Sublime70

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys, frustrating afternoon trying to get my power steering pump figured out. Here's the background - I dropped a 383 from a 66 Chrysler into a 318 68 Charger. Both cars had good working power steering pumps, so I didn't care which one got used. Both pumps are the same style, which I believe is the TRW type. The only difference I noticed right away is that the return hose on the Chrysler was a very large diameter (almost like a 3/4 heater hose size). The Charger pump had the more common (at least to me) smaller hose (11/32 or something like that if I remember correctly). So I decided to use the Charger pump. It bolted to the Chyrsler's 383 bracket fine, but the pulley didn't line up at all with the crank pulley. I then noticed that the units were more different that I thought. The Chrysler pump's pulley is shaped different so it sticks forward about 3/4" more than the Charger pump. The shafts are different diameters, so I can switch pulleys. I decided to use the Chrysler pump and swap the back housings/covers. No luck, the diameter of the Chrysler rear housing is about 5 1/8" compared to the Charger's which is about 4 5/8". The tempting thing to try is to use the chrysler pump and splice the return hoses with some kind of adaptor, but I'd rather not do that. Does anyone know what I need to look for as far as the correct pump, or if there is a different bracket I should be using? It seems like what I need is the Chrysler "larger" pump, but with the small return hose outlet. Any thoughts?

I have the round neck Chrysler pump on my 66 Belvedede and it has the big 5/8" return hose. That's the first time I recall seeing one like it. I also notice it has a screen filter in the pump return fitting and the hose fitting off the box is large as well. It's an original big block car and the pump seems to line up with what appear to be standard big block pulleys and brackets. Maybe use the Chrysler pump and look for the box fitting for the bigger hose, or just make an adapter like you said. Either that or you will have to change out your crank and water pump pulleys.

Yeah, I still have the steering box out of the 66 Chrysler, so I thought of swapping the return fitting. I can see a spring inside the Chrysler one - I guess that fitting is considered part of the valve body and I'm wondering if I'd be opening up a can of worms trying to swap that part (are there going to be springs and valves popping out when I unbolt that cap lol?). I'd hate to have something not work right in the steering box after I'm done. Another option I'm considering is this - I have a saginaw pump and brackets I removed from a '70 383 many years ago. I'll have to dig around for it, but I'm guessing that will line up since it will be the same set-up I have on my Challenger. I see a place online that sells the high pressure hose adaptor for the box to switch to a Saginaw (1/4" to 5/16" I believe). Any thoughts on doing that swap? Do you think there's a pressure difference or something like that, or is it as simple as any style pump will work?

There shouldn't be any issue swapping from the Chrysler box to the Saginaw one and you end up with a lower pressure pump then what you had you will get more road feel.

The aluminum return fitting on the box just comes off with the two bolts and there shouldn't be any springs flying out when you take it off, however there is an o-ring that you need to pay attention to. I have a 68 and 69 RR and they both have the Saginaw pump with the smaller 3/8" or 11/32" return line. My 66 Bel II has the 5/8" return line. Once you get your pulley alignment straightened out with the Saginaw box it sounds like you will either change the return fitting or make an adapter.

Auto Transport Service
Back