• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help in identifying bucket seat tracks.

Redhorse719

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
I'm back at it again, almost got my 66 Belvedere II back together during the Covid period. I'm working on installing the interior but ran into trouble with the seat tracks. The Belvedere was a bench seat car but I want bucket seats so several years ago I purchased BS and have since then rebuilt them(new foam and covers). I notice the seat tracks inside and outside tracks are different lengths. The inside is 8 7/8" long mounting stud to stud, the outside track mounting stud to stud is 11 7/8". All the info I can find on the internet shows a basically square seat mounting points in the floor. The seats were supposed to be for a 66 (low back) and came with the seat tracks. So my question is are these the correct seat tracks if so how do the short inside track mount, inline with the front stud or the rear stud? It's tagged and insured, I'm itching to drive it. Thanks everyone

I'm back at it again, almost got my 66 Belvedere II back together during the Covid period. I'm working on installing the interior but ran into trouble with the seat tracks. The Belvedere was a bench seat car but I want bucket seats so several years ago I purchased BS and have since then rebuilt them(new foam and covers). I notice the seat tracks inside and outside tracks are different lengths. The inside is 8 7/8" long mounting stud to stud, the outside track mounting stud to stud is 11 7/8". All the info I can find on the internet shows a basically square seat mounting points in the floor. The seats were supposed to be for a 66 (low back) and came with the seat tracks. So my question is are these the correct seat tracks if so how do the short inside track mount, inline with the front stud or the rear stud? It's tagged and insured, I'm itching to drive it. Thanks everyone
If your tracks do not have adjustable slots, up down or forward backward they should not be 66. Can you post a picture of the side view?

These are 66 seat tracks
If your tracks do not have adjustable slots, up down or forward backward they should not be 66. Can you post a picture of the side view?
These are 66 tracks

These are 66 seat tracks
These are 66 tracks

7673A073-23A3-4643-81A2-4D1124002478.jpeg

DA291F56-721E-4977-AAFA-C0250B9A7036.jpeg

15564A17-EB75-4686-92DD-AB14C71B71EB.jpeg

Inside and outside studs are 11” apart. I would recommend putting a replacement plate the floor for each especially if you are going to drive it hard.

These are exactly like mine with the adjustment slots. You can tell the inside track studs are more narrow than the outside. My problem is not knowing where to drill the inside holes. I already have several holes to weld up. Does anyone have the hole spacing for a 66 B body? Thanks 440
I would think that there were reinforcement plates under the old stud holes. I would put the front stud of one bucket into the old seat hole and see where the the other studs line up.
I am positive that many on the site can help more than I can.
You are welcome.

This is the photo I got off the net, maybe this forum. It shows the tracks as being the same length. My inside track is shorter than the outside track. The outside track drops right in the bench seat holes.

Bucket seat mounts.jpg

This is the photo I got off the net, maybe this forum. It shows the tracks as being the same length. My inside track is shorter than the outside track. The outside track drops right in the bench seat holes.

View attachment 1337445
Then I would mark where the inner studs sit on the floor and drill. Probably make sure the inner front stud is parallel to the outer front stud.

I would think that there were reinforcement plates under the old stud holes. I would put the front stud of one bucket into the old seat hole and see where the the other studs line up.
I am positive that many on the site can help more than I can.
You are welcome.
I would think that if I set the tracks with the seat all the way forward then mark the inside studs and drill.

202.jpg

I would think that if I set the tracks with the seat all the way forward then mark the inside studs and drill.

View attachment 1337448
Possibly put the outside seat in the holes and sit on it see where things relate to the pedals. If it looks like the seat tracks haven’t been adjusted, I would go with that. Don’t know how tall or short you are.
Adjusted the passenger seat for my wife in 2006 made long trips and she feels they are probably the best she has ridden in. Car is being put together. Taken apart in 2018.

Possibly put the outside seat in the holes and sit on it see where things relate to the pedals. If it looks like the seat tracks haven’t been adjusted, I would go with that. Don’t know how tall or short you are.
Adjusted the passenger seat for my wife in 2006 made long trips and she feels they are probably the best she has ridden in. Car is being put together. Taken apart in 2018.
I took the seat tracks apart to clean, paint and lub so they are not adjusted together. If you haven't installed your seats could you measure the location of the 4 holes? Thanks

I took the seat tracks apart to clean, paint and lub so they are not adjusted together. If you haven't installed your seats could you measure the location of the 4 holes? Thanks
Right now my floor is covered by sound deadener. Both inner and outer track bolt holes are the same distance apart front to back. I would think that if you were to make sure the back inners lined up you would be close . Again my inner and outer track studs are the same distance apart, so are different from yours. What was the design of your seat covers?
Someone that knows more than I do should help .

I bought these seats before I moved about ten years ago. They were sold as 66 B body seats I had no reason to believe they were not. The upholstery is long gone. Here is a picture of the seat tracks. The tape is on the inner track in the first picture. Thanks

DSC04380.JPG

DSC04379.JPG

I have taken a few more photo’s. If your seat backs are like ours, that is a 66-67 back. B body. I tried to take track pictures like yours. Your lower bracket might possibly be from an A body.
Try and compare to my pictures.

4AF9DC72-69AA-4F00-A00B-9BA1512E84EB.jpeg

8E847BC1-BFA4-4A95-914F-024FA28CD363.jpeg

61AF6A60-3068-4482-8508-9E300158B40B.jpeg

4BC2AF1D-A7D8-40E8-82F3-797493357ACD.jpeg

5EA0A21E-D6FD-499D-9C7A-8768483E7339.jpeg

50792A37-9F0D-4DBD-AD60-DB07A1D2E6BB.jpeg

My seat backs are like that with the exception of the wide chrome trim around the edge. My chrome trim is about the width of door edge guards. I saw a 67 GTX recently that had that wide trim like yours. Thank you 440 for all your help.

Look at the picture of the white floor, post #8. that will get you close. The floor has dimples when the holes should be drilled. All bench seat cars, 4 doors & wagons. You may not find them with your sound dedner.

Auto Transport Service
Back