• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help installing 1966 parking brake cable

ChargerPilot

Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to install a new front parking brake cable in my 1966 B- body and I can't figure out how to detach it from the pedal assembly. The service manual says to just depress the pedal and unhook it, but that's not working. Do you have to remove the whole pedal assembly to replace the cable?

Here's a link that shows how it's attached. Pin with a push nut. I'm not sure if you can replace it attached on the car though. You could pop the little push nut off with a screwdriver and give it a try. It's kind of in a crappy place to work. The hardware store may have push nuts. Mine had push nuts but not quite the right size but had some other push nuts that were more bell shaped that seem to be the right size.

Here's a link that shows how it's attached. Pin with a push nut. I'm not sure if you can replace it attached on the car though. You could pop the little push nut off with a screwdriver and give it a try. It's kind of in a crappy place to work. The hardware store may have push nuts. Mine had push nuts but not quite the right size but had some other push nuts that were more bell shaped that seem to be the right size.

[/URL]
Thanks. That's a big help. My cable came with a cleves pin I guess to replace the push nut.

FYI...After trying to replace the cable per the instructions in the factory service manual. I found it much easier/faster to just remove the entire parking brake assembly. That also allowed me to clean and grease it at the same time.

Ive done enough cars over the years , and found it just as easy to pull the park brake assy cable and all. And replace it while its out, clean and grease everything.

You back will thank you later

I'm in the process of replacing my parking brake cable on my 66 Satellite, I've got it all figured out but I can't remember where this part (pic #1) was originally installed. I think it might fit in (pic#2) but which direction is it installed and is there a bolt that runs thru the two holes. Any help that can be provided will be appreciated

IMG_2863.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back