• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with pistol grip resto

70 Green Bee

Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, happy Labor Day. Finally getting around to restore my 70 b body pistol grip. Any novel approaches to removing and installing the the new upper bezel holder? Seems the original is peened on. I welcome your expertise. Thanks in advance!!!

You're right it is peened on and I had bought a new one but never put it on because of that. It's kind of weird being a 1/4" square. Maybe some super glue or JB weld would hold it on.

Thin layer of silicone. The clear stuff. At some time you may want to remove it. Why use a permanent glue?

Thanks. After trawling the net I only found one similar post...and they came up with JB Weld and silicone too. Am going to cut the old one off and make the peg as tight a fit as possible and JB it. Will post the results. Thanks again.

Like these cars in general, I am sure Hurst didn’t expect them to be around 50 years later and be serviced/restored.

P.s. also thought of drilling into the handle and tap for screws...need a drill press though...probably not enough material.

Thought I'd catch you up on my project. This is what I did.

Using a Dremel cut off wheel, I made a cut into the bezel; then spread the bezel enough that it cleared the peen.
DSC_0416.JPG
DSC_0414.JPG

I thought I'd be able to file the peen down enough to force on the new bezel - no luck.
So I started to file the peened key so that the new bezel would drop on.
The new bezel had a smaller hole and perhaps better tolerances because I also had to 'square' up the top of the shifter handle so it would sit flush.

Once that was done, needed to decide how to fasten.
I believe there would be enough material to drill and tap the handle for a #4 or #6 machine screw; one on each side of the keyhole would work and make it serviceable. But, decided not too.

Considered silicone but was not convinced of its adhesive strength (probably would have worked)

So, I went with J-B Weld...and probably too much meaning if I want it off...it will come off but it won't be pretty (but I don't think I'll need to remove)

So J-B was slathered onto the shifter handle and the bezel affixed. Made sure some formed a new peen.
DSC_0411.JPG
DSC_0410.JPG

BTW, I've seen folks ask about how to get the shift pattern lens out...I was able to pry it out with a utility knife blade...thanks to old glue I suppose
DSC_0417.JPG

Something I found interesting was that inside the pistol grips themselves was some green clay-like stuff that I am guessing is not factory and that a previous owner put in perhaps for better feel...or vibration 'buzz' control? :) Who knows?!?
DSC_0412.JPG

Nevertheless, I had a quart of flex seal that I bought for something else (a quart is a lot btw!!!) and figured why not fill the new ones...nothing to lose.
DSC_0413.JPG

After the new lower bezel was 'rawled' in and grips screwed on, a few more dabs secured the new lens.
DSC_0421.JPG

And done...
DSC_0420.JPG
DSC_0422.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the ride!!!
P.S. Took home a "Most Original Mopar" trophy at a small local show this past week-end. ("original" meaning true to form example/restored, not survivor)

Auto Transport Service
Back