• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info on 383 engine please

Justasgood

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
I need a little help with info on an engine I have a chance to buy. Block stamp is 2468130-2 and pad is stamped as pictured.

Date, Horsepower rating and thoughts on value would be appreciated.

Alleged to have only about 2000 miles.
25AF089A-2DE7-43D1-BD2F-EC67C7EEBC26.png
54B6B674-3110-4D51-B95B-102E3AFE3456.png
81FF5E98-EF25-4268-90EB-0427957624B8.png

Any idea why below the A383(1965 right?) it appears more numbers stamped? Looks like A440?
R stands for regular gas
And 12 18 would mean 12/18/1965?

How do you determine the HP rating?

Is this engine worth buying at $1200?

I don't know about the extra 440 marks but if it's an A motor it would be assembled late 64.
The 383 4 bbls were 325-330hp depending.
You never know what's inside but if you believe it would run, 1200 is a decent price.

Maybe its just me, but without hearing it run or knowing who put it together with a list of parts, I would never pay 1200 for it. Unless you are a gambling man of course.

Looks fairly good and fresh... but there's definitely some monkyerey going on with the rockers and pushrods

You do understand that the stamping on the motor has no bearing on what the motor is today, right?

Without documentation, total crap shoot.

Looks fairly good and fresh... but there's definitely some monkyerey going on with the rockers and pushrods
He took the the rocker arm off and just put it back on without concern for correctness. He has a HP 383 he will be putting in the 70 Charger. He was going to use some parts from this engine but decided not to. Solid gentleman with an award winning RR and he is building Charger for his wife.
F70CD02A-CC73-476A-AD71-68CE47373807.png

He took the the rocker arm off and just put it back on without concern for correctness. He has a HP 383 he will be putting in the 70 Charger. He was going to use some parts from this engine but decided not to. Solid gentleman with an award winning RR and he is building Charger for his wife. View attachment 1529490
Ok but so you know, check whether the pushrods have one end smaller than the other. They've been flipped around.
And they may not

Ok but so you know, check whether the pushrods have one end smaller than the other. They've been flipped around.
And they may not
They do have a tapered end.

If I buy it, I will remove the heads to inspect and install new gaskets. The heads have double springs so joy sure if the cam is stock.

They do have a tapered end.

If I buy it, I will remove the heads to inspect and install new gaskets. The heads have double springs so joy sure if the cam is stock.
It's a Mopar purple shaft cam. Measure the lifter lift to find out which one :thumbsup:

Also, you should check that the lifters are the correct size to match those tapered pushrods

If you remove the heads and the engine was previously built you should take note of the head gaskets you pull off. As the thickness may be crucial to how the engine was built. Too thin and you may have some valve to piston clearance issues. But for sure I would remove the heads to check everything under them. When you remove the heads you can see what pistons are in it. Or if it has been previously bored out.

Probably a good buy. Alum intake & 750 Edel carb alone would be a big chunk of the $1200. You can see through the dist hole, the wear mark on the lifter, so the engine has been running meaning lifters/prods are matched.

Auto Transport Service
Back