• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need mechanic in SoCal to do cam swap

Gunner1

Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m disabled and 75 so I can’t do this myself. I need a shop or individual who could install a 292 Isky Mega cam for me. I’ve got no place to work on cars anymore. I’ve bought the parts. Any ideas. I found one shop. He wanted 3k for a cam swap. Seems high. I’m in Seal Beach. Thanks. Bob.

Hi guys. I’m disabled and 75 so I can’t do this myself. I need a shop or individual who could install a 292 Isky Mega cam for me. I’ve got no place to work on cars anymore. I’ve bought the parts. Any ideas. I found one shop. He wanted 3k for a cam swap. Seems high. I’m in Seal Beach. Thanks. Bob.
That might sound about right for a cam install. In my area, shops hovered around 4k for a 5.7 hemi cam swap.

You might want to check our Orange County Cars - Lake Forest 949-768-3192. They do the whole nine yards on classics. Particularly muscle cars. Strange as it might seem it's difficult to find a decent speed shop in what was once the Mecca of the muscle car world. But I had difficulty with my X out here. I brought it to a couple of places I frankly wasn't sure what I was getting. Then I found this place in LF - again their rep is they restore it all and mechanically do it all. I'm not a sharp enough mechanic to be certain of what I got there either. My issue was one of those hard to diagnose deals that once you were certain was easy to fix. Nice enough guys, been there awhile seemed to know their business - but if you put any stock in yelp reviews they're a mixed bag. So I'm not giving them a five star review - I suggest you give them a buzz - Bryan - and scout them out yourself. They have a nice clean decked out shop, easy to get to. I'd be curious what you come up with.

If you were here in New Jersey, I'd do it for you for a burger and a case of beer. ( Oh, and of course, allow me to "test drive" it... )

If you were here in New Jersey, I'd do it for you for a burger and a case of beer. ( Oh, and of course, allow me to "test drive" it... )
Boy, I don't know. Some beer is pretty darn expensive these days. Picked up a 'had to have' six pack for my Son-In-Law the other day. Almost $14 with tax. What? Said the old-school Yuengling fan.

Do I dare ask what an hourly SoCal shop rate is anymore? You do have those two big classic car parts places nearby. One is in Seal Beach, the other is in Huntington Beach. You'd think they should have many connections also.

Boy, I don't know. Some beer is pretty darn expensive these days. Picked up a 'had to have' six pack for my Son-In-Law the other day. Almost $14 with tax. What? Said the old-school Yuengling fan.
Yuengling will do. :drinks:

It’s a 440. I’ve asked both of the warehouses and they don’t do referrals so they can’t be accused of favoritism

If you could get it to Vegas we could do it correctly then go thru carb
and tune the car correctly for $600.00
Plus gaskets and needed parts.
That is really all you should pay for a job that is a day's work.

Last edited:
Plus gaskets and need parts.
This sounds very, very fair. Geez, I wish I was closer to you.

That sounds awesome. I have the cam, lifters,and timing chain as well as a new distributor and wires. That is a really great price. When would you want to do it. I'm pretty sure it would drive there with out a problem. and I could rent a room for a couple of days incase there are any problems.

Plus gaskets and needed parts.
Sent you a PM with my phone number.

Just ordered some. CalTracs if he’s gonna tune it and then punch it my split leafs will wrap up like wet noodles. Damn I’m excited.

Auto Transport Service
Back