• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help

harleydodge1

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Where is the heat control valve? I have a 73 Roadrunner with a 318 and A/C. Is it in the evaporator under the dash or is it a stand alone valve on the fender well. Best I can tell it should be in the evaporator. If so where is the control cable. I seem to have lost mine under the dash. Any pics would help.
I have tried searching for an answer but got nothing.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? On my '70, there isn't what I personally would call a "heater control valve" & I don't believe my '73 Charger had one either..... at least, neither car had a mechanical valve hooked into the heater hoses that turned flow on/off like I've seen on some other vehicles. In my '70, there's just a cable running from the dash's "hot/cold" switch that moves a trap door in the heater control box....actuator lever just above passenger's feet. When it was broken "back in the day" I would flip the lever by hand, once in the Spring and once in the Fall. On a '70, it's just over the passenger's right foot, about 10" up.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? On my '70, there isn't what I personally would call a "heater control valve" & I don't believe my '73 Charger had one either..... at least, neither car had a mechanical valve hooked into the heater hoses that turned flow on/off like I've seen on some other vehicles. In my '70, there's just a cable running from the dash's "hot/cold" switch that moves a trap door in the heater control box....actuator lever just above passenger's feet. When it was broken "back in the day" I would flip the lever by hand, once in the Spring and once in the Fall. On a '70, it's just over the passenger's right foot, about 10" up.

Ok don't know what happened there.
What I am looking for is the cable that attaches to the hot/cold arm on the A/C- heat control in the dash. In non A/C cars it attaches to a cable that goes to a control valve that mounts on the pass. inner fender and controls the amount of hot water that goes thru the heater core. On my A/C car the heater hoses attach straight to the evaporator box. I would think there is a control valve inside the evaporator that controls the amount of hot water that goes to the heater core inside the evaporator or does it just go to a blend door. If so I still can not find the cable under the dash. Does it come from the left or right of the arm? Do I have the wrong A/C-heat control? The arm is made for a cable.

Sounds like you are missing the valve, here is a picture of it on my 73RR with AC.
20140117_180828.jpg

Ok thanks Idrive. So A/C cars do have an external valve. That explains alot.

Auto Transport Service
Back