• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some quick help with 440 timing chain install.

Nismobishi

Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I am replacing this gear drive with a chain.
When I install the chain do I need to use the little bearing looking thing I'm holding in the picture? And I did not see an oil slinger plate behind the crank seal. Do I need to get one or can I reassemble it without?

20230319_202205.jpg

20230319_202114.jpg

If it's a roller cam, it's required. Flat tappet ,not necessary.
Many people have run without a slinger . Put a new seal in.

Oh yea,
Can I reuse that bolt lock plate or should I just use some blue Loctite?

I would put an oil slinger in. For the $10 or whatever they cost, it helps keep oil off the front seal.
It's one of those things that is so easy to do while it's all apart, you should do it.

I vaguely remember when Chrysler went to the double lip front seal they discontinued the slinger. Early 70s.
Mike

I recall the slingers were still used at least thru '72 even with the double lip seals. I'd use one. I used the roller cam button on my drag motors for years. But I measured the cam movement to be sure where things were. IIRC I was looking for less than .005 thrust with either the flat tappet or roller cams. I would also check the timing cover for any wear.

Hey everyone,
Was I supposed to put a thrust washer behind my cam sprocket? When I removed the gear drive there was a copper thrust washer. All the install videos I watched did not mention using one. It looks like everyone just installs the cam sprocket only?

I've never used a thrust washer behind the cam sprocket on a big block and never had any complaints on any of the ones I built....

I've never used a thrust washer behind the cam sprocket on a big block and never had any complaints on any of the ones I built....
Oh, that's good news because I didn't put one on! So, the machined area on the back of the sprocket rides the machined block surface around the camshaft then. That doesn't cause any wear issues or allow the cam to ride back into the block too far?

Last edited:
Oh, that's good news because I didn't put one on! So, the machined area on the back of the sprocket rides the machined block surface around the camshaft then. That doesn't cause any wear issues or allow the cam to ride back into the block too far?
No issues, factory standard, tried, true and trusted.

Auto Transport Service
Back