• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neutral safety switch

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
Ok, here's something that just came to mind. I put a later 727 in my 65 Belvedere wagon. It has the 3 prong plug and the Belvedere has the single wire hook-up. Is there an adaptor or should I just ground the wire? I'm not worried about starting in gear if I ground out the switch.

Hook the original wire to the center post. It'll function normally. Starting in N and P only.
Doug

Hook the original wire to the center post. It'll function normally. Starting in N and P only.
Doug
That's it? It sounds too easy LOL. What are the 2 outside posts for?

Back up lights. Which are controlled off your shifter inside the car in those years.
No more stock shifter. I installed a Winters Sidewinder shifter. Is there a way to connect the backup lights using the 1965 wiring?

No more stock shifter. I installed a Winters Sidewinder shifter. Is there a way to connect the backup lights using the 1965 wiring?
Just run the two outside wires off the transmission switch to your old switch connector in the car.

On a three pin (or an old style single pin), the switch makes continuity to ground when the transmission is on neutral or park. On a three pin, the two outside pins make continuity to each other, when the trans is shifted to reverse. This is only done properly with the correct rooster comb inside the trans. I'd double check the operation, and wire accordingly.

All good info! Do what Doug said. If you need backup lights, then use the remaining 2 terminals. ruffcut

Doug
As dvw said, hook your original wire to the center post via the original plug for the three post switch. That's what I did on my car and everything functions perfectly. In your 65', if it was a column shift, your reverse lights are activated by a switch in the column. You can convert it more then likely to the later style but I am not sure how.

The harness for the three prong safety switch is re-popped. Vans has it for the best price, so everything is water tight.

Fits 68 69 70 71 72 73 Charger Roadrunner Neutral Safety Switch Backup Harness | eBay

As dvw said, hook your original wire to the center post via the original plug for the three post switch. That's what I did on my car and everything functions perfectly. In your 65', if it was a column shift, your reverse lights are activated by a switch in the column. You can convert it more then likely to the later style but I am not sure how.

The harness for the three prong safety switch is re-popped. Vans has it for the best price, so everything is water tight.

Fits 68 69 70 71 72 73 Charger Roadrunner Neutral Safety Switch Backup Harness | eBay
Thanks. I just ordered it. In the meantime I soldered a wire crimp at the end of the wire. It happened to be the right size to slip on. It worked. The Creep Wagon is now turning over with the key. Just waiting on the throttle cable. Thanks.

I just had an issue with no crank when trying to start my 1972, 318ci Satellite. It has an MSD 6AL digital ignition system. I cleaned up all the connections and grounds but the issue was still there.

I remembered that I had fiddled with the speedo cable at the transmission because the speedo wasn't working. I also knew the 3-pin neutral safety switch was next to the speedo cable, and that the cable and nss wiring harness were tied and routed together up through the engine bay.

On inspection I saw that the nss had wiggled loose while I had been playing with the speedo cable. I cleaned the nss up with contact cleaner and plugged it back in and the starting issue was gone. Although I didn't have to, I bought another wiring harness as the old one looked a bit rough.

20230805_085538.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back