• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never much cared for separate bank accounts etc in a marriage....but....

So, same story with 2 of my buds
One guys is now retired and living in VA
The other is going through a difficult time here at Edwards AFB, right now...
Going on 1 year and still not D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D.....

View attachment 1264151
I remember hearing that song a lot!! Dad liked listening to C&W back in the day and I heard that song just about every morning when he dragged my *** to work with him but was just about on my own when that song came out....

I lost a 1970 Charger 500 in my first divorce, I did all the labor, parts $$$ ect. Because it was mutual property while married. Got to keep the others as I had them before. My Dads car he bought new. That really hurt. Her lawyer wanted half my tools to but I had most before. First thing we should is Kill all the Lawyers.

My wife and I have separate bank accounts and we both put money into our joint account that we use to pay the mortgage and the bills. Works well for us. Been married for 19 years.
Part of the reason for this is because we married when we were middle aged, and had our own homes and stuff.
I have a good marriage, but not great.
First and only marriage for me. If something happens I won’t remarry.

Pea's and carrot's will split up just like succotash. Now you have corn and lima beans both single.

My brother went broke three times over women and still retired at 52, like me. He has been living with his girlfriend for over 25 years and they both built separate portfolios with the help of each other and are now both wealthy. They spilt all expenses down the middle. Live and learn.

Theresa and I met in 1978 and married in 1979. Together we built a life that gave us both great times and sad times. To me, if you both pull 100 percent, there is no me, only us. If she left tomorrow, she deserves at least half and I have no problem with that, it would not affect my standard of living. By the way, when we walk down the street she always has my hand and her favorite phrase when she takes my hand is, two peas in a pod, she says it every time. I'm blessed and I know it!! I can tell you I hand picked her and I did, but that's still not a guarantee, it still takes work and a little luck. From the beginning, middle and end!

I think it just comes down to how you want to manage your money. Regardless of separate or joint accounts, the wife will own half in a divorce (especially after many years of marriage).

My wife and I got married in 1987. We had diddly squat, and we set up joint accounts. We always said that any money either of us made was our money and that we would manage it together, and that has worked great for us for 34 years so far. She is very understanding about my car sickness and spending money on that! Having said that, I have always prioritized the family and house over the cars.

We’ve been married for 42 years and have so many damn accounts I’m not sure the IRS could find all of them - business accounts, inherited home expenses account, car/insurance/repairs/taxes account, vacation account, savings accounts (also known as dead money accounts), everyday expenses account, and money socked away in safes in case of needing to bug out or the apocalypse occurring. Most are in both our names but yes, we have separate accounts in the sense we know who has possession or responsibility for each.

Sorry to hear you’re having to deal with Cranky.

40 years ago, when we were just friends she moved into an apartment, I bought her an electric counter top oven to save her money on utilities.
She appreciated the romantic kitchen appliance and I knew she was the one.
I still have her and we still have the stove.
I like carrots and rice.

I think it just comes down to how you want to manage your money. Regardless of separate or joint accounts, the wife will own half in a divorce (especially after many years of marriage).

My wife and I got married in 1987. We had diddly squat, and we set up joint accounts. We always said that any money either of us made was our money and that we would manage it together, and that has worked great for us for 34 years so far. She is very understanding about my car sickness and spending money on that! Having said that, I have always prioritized the family and house over the cars.
Well said and I'm sure she gets what she wants too!!

DJ,
Bad things happen to good people everyday. Opinions and personal beliefs are never a one size fits all. Good luck, Ulli

My brother went broke three times over women and still retired at 52, like me. He has been living with his girlfriend for over 25 years and they both built separate portfolios with the help of each other and are now both wealthy. They spilt all expenses down the middle. Live and learn.

Theresa and I met in 1978 and married in 1979. Together we built a life that gave us both great times and sad times. To me, if you both pull 100 percent, there is no me, only us. If she left tomorrow, she deserves at least half and I have no problem with that, it would not affect my standard of living. By the way, when we walk down the street she always has my hand and her favorite phrase when she takes my hand is, two peas in a pod, she says it every time. I'm blessed and I know it!! I can tell you I hand picked her and I did, but that's still not a guarantee, it still takes work and a little luck. From the beginning, middle and end!
We were like two peas in a pod too.....only she was the big pea and I was the little pea.

In Texas you can keep your finances separate from what I understand but if you buy a house while married, that'll be community property. If you buy furniture, you can agree on who bought what and do the signed paper work it will usually stand in court. For instance, I sold a car that I had before we got married and bought furniture with it. Well, she wanted those pieces but I reminded her where the money came from and she said ok. I'm sure she could have pressed the issue but she didn't and there was no paper work on that.....

Did thew same thing my Dad always did, came home handed my check to my wife and never worried about it.....until I was working ton's of overtime bringing home lots of cash and was never home to spend it. Went to use my ATM card one day and found I was overdrawn. How the heck can I be overdrawn???? My then wife could not even explain where it all went so I stripped her of all financial duties and even took her credit cards. I ran the finances for the next 10-12 years until we finally divorced. Married my current wife 10 years ago and we have always kept separate accounts. Since we live in my house I simply tell her what her half of the bills are each month and she writes me a check. Works like a charm

We have about nine different accounts not counting investment and retirement accounts.

We have "my money", "your money", and several "our money" accounts.
We have one account we call "the middle" where we put our respective contributions to major purchases and other household projects.

I make about 12K more than her, but she can afford a new car every 15 years, and I can't, but I can afford several classics and a couple used cars and 2 wheeled vehicles.

We never argue about money.

Never.

Unless you count when I want to pay for something and she argues that she should pay for it, or vice versa.

Fortunately we have made good investments, and those pay all of our bills and actually provide some spendin' money.

That basically leaves our day job salaries as discretionary income.

If she wants more, she needs to make more, either by getting a better paying job, or with more income from her side business.
The same holds true for me.

Last edited:
We have "my money", "your money", and several "our money" accounts.

Same here. Works perfectly. I'm a lot more **** about not carrying a credit card balance than she is, but that one subject is generally the only one that we are not perfectly aligned on.

One day shortly after I married my 2nd wife in 86, she pulled out her credit car 'bill fold' and I swear, she had over 20 of them! One of the first signs of many to come that made me think 'what the heck am I in for.....'

Auto Transport Service
Back