• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never too old to learn something even older.

Ray70Chrg

Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Learned a new word yesterday. Learned it here reading thru the drum brake threads. The word is "swage", and for about an hour yesterday I was being "swaged" and didn't even know it. If you don't know the meaning of the word, my definition is: Being tricked into thinking that the right front drum should be exactly the same as the left brake drum that you just successfully replaced the brake shoes on. Some people misspelled or miss understood the word as "swedged", but that's just a very minor point. Being "swaged" very quickly leads to high levels of frustration when coupled with 115 degree garage heat. How could the left side be so easy and then the right side be totally unyielding? This was the 1st time I have replaced anything on a drum brake car, so this was an adventure to begin with. Removing and replacing return springs for the 1st time was so very exciting.
Word of caution to newbies: "Swaging" can exist on the front brake drums of old mopars. I'm thinking that the invention of disc brakes had something more to do with practicality than safety.

Last edited:
Yeah...I've never heard of that either. I thought the only difference was the LEFT hand lug nuts on the LEFT side of the car.
Hey...You want to go SNIPE hunting next weekend?

Yeah...I've never heard of that either. I thought the only difference was the LEFT hand lug nuts on the LEFT side of the car.
Hey...You want to go SNIPE hunting next weekend?
when I first got this car I broke 2 wheel studs before the light bulb came on and I thought left side, left threads?

Last edited:
1692562766328.png

The word swedge has the same meaning but Google on my android phone wouldn't recognize the word no matter how hard I tried to pronounce it. With my New Jersey / central Florida accent. LOL!

I thought the only difference was the LEFT hand lug nuts on the LEFT side of the car.
Left hand lug nuts were on the right side. OMG I corrected Kern, am I going to Hell????

The LH studs should be on driver's side. At least mine were since '68.

Well, when I bought this car left hand lugs were on the left side wheels. I've replaced all 10 studs on the left side with right hand studs to eliminate the confusion.

The word swedge has the same meaning but Google on my android phone wouldn't recognize the word no matter how hard I tried to pronounce it. With my New Jersey / central Florida accent. LOL!
I totally understand, I'm originally from The Bronx.

You forgot how to spell ? It's Da Bronx. Even this kid from Brooklyn knows howta spell it. Fuggedaboudit.
You'll have to forgive me, I've been out of The Bronx for 56 years now and have done everything possible to lose my bronx accent. At least I've lost it in writing. Actually, the official legal name of that borough is "The Bronx". Went to St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School for 8 years and can remember the Nun enthusiastly telling me that there are no "Ds" in the words THIS, THAT, or THE. Do You Hear What I'm Telling You, Raymond. Yes Sister, of course I hear You, your shouting 6 inches away from my left ear. How could I possibly miss dat? Smack. Went to Cardinal Hayes HS after that, which was and still is an all boys school but was staffed entirely by Priests and Brothers and things got worse. God Bless all of them for dedicating their lives to educate idiots like me, so we could make a good living for ourselves.

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive me, I've been out of The Bronx for 56 years now and have done everything possible to lose my bronx accent. At least I've lost it in writing. Actually, the official legal name of that borough is "The Bronx". Went to St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School for 8 years and can remember the Nun enthusiastly telling me that there are no "Ds" in the words THIS, THAT, or THE. Do You Hear What I'm Telling You, Raymond. Yes Sister, of course I hear You, your shouting 6 inches away from my left ear. How could I possibly miss dat? Smack. Went to Cardinal Hayes HS after that, which was and still is an all boys school but was staffed entirely by Priests and Brothers and things got worse. God Bless all of them for dedicating their lives to educate idiots like me, so we could make a good living for ourselves.
:rofl:

I finally got it straight with a buddy of mine about which side of the car is the left side and the right and that happened just this year. Had no idea that he didn't know until I was going to look at something on his car and he told me it was on the right side and when I went to the right side he said "no over on the other side" lol. It took a good 15 minutes to convince him which side is right and which side is left and told him to look it up on his damn phone finally.... and he's almost 75!

I was told the orientation is based on the person standing behind the car looking forward. I've also heard it told as being the perspective from the driver's seat on American cars.

:rofl: Bet you didn't get beat up by the nuns in grade school, and the brothers in high school like I did !

when I first got this car I broke 2 wheel studs before the light bulb came on and I thought left side, left threads?

I did that, Dec 1985.........day after I bought my GTX :jackoff:

probably asked myself, "WTF kind of POS did you just buy?" :lol:

Having been in the Navy, knowing left side from right side of a ship is instantly critical. Left has 4 letters, Port has 4 letters. The right side is Starboard side. Numbers ending with an odd #is Starboard, with an even #is Port. This,of course, had nothing to with Chrysler cars.

:rofl: Bet you didn't get beat up by the nuns in grade school, and the brothers in high school like I did !
OK, I'll play! Did you ever have a black eye because a Nun smacked you across your face and landed across your left eye. When I got home, I had to tell my mother that I got a black eye in a fight at lunch time. If I told her a Nun hit me, I've have gotten another black eye from Mom. Her comment was it didn't look like I did very well in that fight.

Auto Transport Service
Back