• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 73 charger to the forum

Thestrangecase

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Sup guys, as the title suggests I am new here.

Wanted to share and post the 73 project I just picked up, while at the same time get advice on one issue in particular.

First with the fun. Here's some photos.

PXL_20231002_221322875.jpg
PXL_20231002_220925091.jpg
PXL_20231002_221303425.jpg

Guy before me had some work done to the 400 magnum currently in it(non matching numbers) but in my opinion, she was running pretty good. Sunglasses highly recommend at the moment.

*Edit wanted to add, all interior, chrome exterior trim was removed but came with the car. That's all chillin in a tote next to it!

Where I'm at right now,
-Bumper (front and rear) chrome all removed
-Door handles and locks pulled off
-Trunk emblem and trunk lock removed

-Still have seats to pull which I don't anticipate taking more than a half hour total.

Early sept, she's scheduled to be media blasted with plastic by a professional near me, followed by a shop spraying her down at bare metal with (I forget what exactly) to seal the body.

Now, I know I should be pulling the engine and doing it all at once. However I'm excited and I don't exactly plan on making this a show car because I don't want to feel bad about driving the damn thing and having some fun in it!!

So, we're gonna do it in stages. Right now I plan to have the body and interior blasted and sealed, then in the future (after this 400 gives up and needs work) when I have to pull the engine I'll have the engine compartment and beneath the car blasted and sealed.

Now, for my problem that I desperately need advice with.
Some of you with a keen eye may have noticed the giant *** hole in the roof.

PXL_20231007_152717577.MP.jpg
PXL_20231007_160201566.jpg
PXL_20231007_152642441.jpg

My question for you boys, which I'm 99% sure of the answer.
Is this a correct size hole for a stock sunroof?
And
Where the hell do I start for finding a replacement?
Or
Is it easier to just tack some metal, fiberglass and Bondo flat?
I do have about 3/4 of the original build sheet(a quarter of it has been ripped and lost) but I don't exactly know how to read it.
I'll take a pic of that when I get home tonight if it helps anyone.

Nice to be here gentlemen! Thanks in advance for the welcome and any advice given!!

Last edited:
Welcome. Nice project. Cant help you with your hole problem but there are several sources you can check with.
Wild Cat Auto Wrecking or Stephen's Performance both all Mopar yards may have a sunroof and all parts if the size matches. Or you can fill the hole with sheet metal and a vinyl top because it would be hard to get it straight and not look like waves. Last would be to get a replacement roof skin from AMD or the like.
Just a few suggestions. Food for thought.

Welcome aboard from NY. Fun looking '73 project. I appreciate your approach by not biting off more than you can chew :thumbsup:

Welcome. Nice project. Cant help you with your hole problem but there are several sources you can check with.
Wild Cat Auto Wrecking or Stephen's Performance both all Mopar yards may have a sunroof and all parts if the size matches. Or you can fill the hole with sheet metal and a vinyl top because it would be hard to get it straight and not look like waves. Last would be to get a replacement roof skin from AMD or the like.
Just a few suggestions. Food for thought.
I will check both these places tonight after work my friend, thank you! For some reason I'm still hopeful about finding a sunroof to fit in there. Just seems easier to me at this point I guess. However, we're quickly approaching filing with sheet metal and vinyl the top.

One thing that does give me some hope. In the final picture, I guess I never looked closely, but there appears to be some glue scum that follows the hole. Soooo maybe it's possibly the right size hole?!

By the looks of the roofs underside I would think that was an aftermarket sun roof.

Brocade buckets- don't see that every day.

Factory sunroof holes have rolled edges. I'm not seeing that but it might be the pics.

I like the bronze/tan color scheme.

Is the fender tag present? There should be a code for the sunroof if factory, unless it's a Lynch Road built car.

That's right, I remember seeing the underside roof support was straight cut as well. Well ****. That's not ideal.

Brocade buckets- don't see that every day.

Factory sunroof holes have rolled edges. I'm not seeing that but it might be the pics.

I like the bronze/tan color scheme.

Is the fender tag present? There should be a code for the sunroof if factory, unless it's a Lynch Road built car.
I also like the bronze tan color, so much so that that's the current plan for paint!

I'll check the fender tag tonight as well!

I have a 68 Barracuda that exactly the same problem... IMO here are your options;

1. find a new roof and replace it (best)
2. find another aftermarket sunroof that will fit the hole and seal
3. fill the hole with sheet metal.

Option 3 seems like an good plan but it is what more complicated than that, the roof skin will have a crown to it probably in 2 directions which will require some one experienced with an English wheel to duplicate. Next is that the roof skin is thin and attempting to weld to it is very tricky as they are VERY easy to warp which only will make things much worse. If you can find a roof piece similar or the same and can flange the outer edge so that you can install it from inside and have it sit flush you can use panel bond to secure it by using Clecos to hold it tight in place. This way there is not heat issues and it will be strong. You will still have to bondo over it due to the edge but it should be very minimal and not crack.

I would STRONGLY recommend you install as much bracing in the car as possible, sub frame connectors, under fender braces, torque boxes, etc.

Hello and welcome from Michigan:drinks:. I agree with pnora, find a donor roof with good bracing. Good luck and have fun.

I believe I've read that factory sunroof cars are pretty damn rare. I would be very hesitant to fill that hole in.

I don't have many pics of sunroof cars, but I'll share what I have. IIRC they were unusually large -

1971-1972-1973-1974-dodge-charger-se-3rd-generation-1.jpg
43713422315_ebc288e9b6_b.jpg
47994888646_c88064eabf_z.jpg
6088133192-c849e6f927-o1111111.jpg

That is definitely not a factory sunroof opening - definitely aftermarket. That can be verified on your fender tag - if it was factory, there would be an M52 on your tag. Find a donor skin and weld that baby up.
Scott.
Mopar Sunroof Registry.

Another Michigander Welcomes you to the site.
Good luck, Relax and have fun. It will all be worth it in the end

Auto Transport Service
Back