• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new converter, now smoke from bellhousing

Jtucker66

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
i unbolted my 727 from my freshly rebuilt 440. i did this to hcange converters cause i didnt like the one i had. so its the second time putting it back together.

got the tranny in, and hooked everything up no problems anywhere.

i also did a transgo shift kit while it was out.

so i fill the tranny with 6 qts like B&M suggests before starting. with the shift kit, i can now check fluid in park so i left it running for a minute in park and i began to see smoke coming from the backside of the motor.

i removed the shield from the bottom of tranny and the inside of the bell housing is dry. i cant imagine that the rear main bit the dust. its brand new and i didnt think i did anything to bother it.

thanks for any input

turns out im just a slime ball when i do trannies without a lift so i had crap all over the headers from sliding in and out from under the car.

someone can delete this pointless thread, sorry

So I'm not the only Dumbarse in the world....welcome to the Club Mate...lol

just a tidbit of advice, you should not check your trans fluid while in park, but rather in neutral, after it has reached operating temperature and after you have ran the transmission through all the gears to ensure appropriate fluid transfer.

with the shift kit, it had me grind a part of a piston shorter so that it can be checked in park. i dont know exactly how it all works though yet

with the shift kit, it had me grind a part of a piston shorter so that it can be checked in park. i dont know exactly how it all works though yet

thats cool, it just allows the fluid to flow at the same volume as in neutral, still having all the fluid ran through all the gears prior to checking your fluid is a must though as that will be a true indicator of how much fluid is in your transmission.

I've never done anything dumb either.....never tried to start a car after the carb was removed and started a nice fire....nope, not me!

lmao!! cranky really cracks me up lol !! ive seen that done before and i was only a spectator to the same thing!! hes right! nice fires

Auto Transport Service
Back