• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New floor shift console installed

Onecarnut

Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
I've acquired parts over the last two years and finally had a local shop install my new floor console and shifter. My car was originally a column shift, but the previous owner converted it to a floor mount B&M ratchet shifter. It worked fine, and I liked how it looked, but I really wanted a more OEM look for the interior. I think I was at around $2000 in parts by the time I was ready. The shop I used spent 20 hours installing, which was a bit of a shock, but I love the finished product. Maybe they overcharged me, maybe they didn't, but I want to let everyone know who might be considering this conversion that you will need to weld the console mounts to the tunnel and cut the new hole out for the shift linkage. They told me it wasn't an easy job, and since my car is a Mopar, I couldn't argue with them. Here are the before and after photos:

shift2.jpg

console.jpg

Nice!!! Regardless of the hours of it took, the end result speaks for itself.

I recently did this myself Console Bracket Install and it wasn't the easiest task. However, having the right tools always helps.

Cheers!

I just did the same thing to mine and 20hrs is 2.5 working days- I would agree with that if the shop isn’t too familiar with these things. It isn’t easy to lay out and weld the brackets.
The hole needed has a template stamped into the floor. But those brackets have ALOT of wiggle room to get it wrong.
I bet they had the seats in and out at least 2x for test fitting it all.

I just did the same thing to mine and 20hrs is 2.5 working days- I would agree with that if the shop isn’t too familiar with these things. It isn’t easy to lay out and weld the brackets.
The hole needed has a template stamped into the floor. But those brackets have ALOT of wiggle room to get it wrong.
I bet they had the seats in and out at least 2x for test fitting it all.
Yeah, they said there were a lot of mockups, so I guess I can see how this would take so long. I should also note that when I first went to pick up the car, I noticed the console was leaning to one side! I was mortified and insisted they make it level so they put some shims in and leveled it out. It cost 3x what I originally thought, but as I said earlier, I am really happy with the end result. Shifting is smooth and easy now, and it looks GREAT!

I've acquired parts over the last two years and finally had a local shop install my new floor console and shifter. My car was originally a column shift, but the previous owner converted it to a floor mount B&M ratchet shifter. It worked fine, and I liked how it looked, but I really wanted a more OEM look for the interior. I think I was at around $2000 in parts by the time I was ready. The shop I used spent 20 hours installing, which was a bit of a shock, but I love the finished product. Maybe they overcharged me, maybe they didn't, but I want to let everyone know who might be considering this conversion that you will need to weld the console mounts to the tunnel and cut the new hole out for the shift linkage. They told me it wasn't an easy job, and since my car is a Mopar, I couldn't argue with them. Here are the before and after photos:

View attachment 1305566

View attachment 1305567
They told you it was not an easy job? I used a floor section from a b body. It served as a template for the shifter hole, and the console brackets. I riveted the brackets in place, and welded them. My first time doing that conversion.

View attachment 1305566

View attachment 1305567
I did this conversion myself. I lucked out because i have the small floor section with the shifter hole, and brackets i used as a template. The shifter provision was there with the three dimples for the purpose of drilling holes for the shifter boot, and retainer. The rear floor pan under the seat had the provision for the exhaust hanger. 67 belvedere with 383, hipo exhaust manifolds, and accurate exhaust system.

20210921_124142.jpg

20210921_124004.jpg

20210921_123917.jpg

20220902_163848.jpg

20220902_163802.jpg

20210921_124015.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back