• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy - 70 Coronet 500

jpock76

Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi. New to the site, but looking forward to putting it to use. Recently acquired a 1970 Dodge coronet 500 convertible, 383 4 speed with pistol grip. Tan with a black top. It needs a good restoration! But $ will always be a limiting factor. Can't wait to get started on it! According to the production numbers I found, I think it may be 1/18.

100_0808.jpg100_0809.jpg100_0814.jpg100_0817.jpgCoronetProductionNumbers.jpg

Give it a bath and post up more pics and welcome to the site!

Thanks! Yes, it definitely needs a bath. haha! That would be a good place to start :)

cool project

welcome to FBBO from hot & dry NorCal

good luck with the 70 Coronet project

Most of us have $$ as a limiting factor. Do you plan on doing the work yourself or farm it out. That's a nice year car. Welcome to FBBO.

Welcome /Congrats/ and i hate you...... j/k !! Seriously what a find!!!

DONT WASH IT, I want it.... You should sell that car to me, that is the PERFECT candidate for my 70 RT convertible Hemi clone, its too much work to restore them, and EXPENSIVE, and A LOT OF time, and you always end up bashing a finger, banging your head, dropping something on your foot, spray painting your fingers, etc.. Don't bother, add $250 to what you paid and I will send a truck for it...

You can keep the hood, chrome quarter inserts, motor, and the garfield air freshener...

PS welcome and I am not kidding, I want it..

NICE FIND, THAT IS THE CAR, its screaming to be turned into a RT hemi clone, big block, 4 speed, c16, 500!!!

Most of us have $$ as a limiting factor. Do you plan on doing the work yourself or farm it out. That's a nice year car. Welcome to FBBO.

Thanks. I am comfortable with bodywork and painting, and have done a little welding too on previous project trucks I've done. I dont have the space for a rotisserie setup. That is a long car! So, I may tear it down, and farm out the initial sandblasting, and metal work. It will need new floor (at least under the drivers gas petal). I joked that the previous owner was just a lead foot and went right through the floor. lol The trunk pan will probably also need replacing. Quarter skins too most likely. So, its in good shape, but a little bit of rust. It hasnt seen road in 25 years and has been stored indoors all the while. So, yeah, once the initial metal work is done I would like to do the rest myself. Will probably take me 10 years. lol

- - - Updated - - -

DONT WASH IT, I want it.... You should sell that car to me, that is the PERFECT candidate for my 70 RT convertible Hemi clone, its too much work to restore them, and EXPENSIVE, and A LOT OF time, and you always end up bashing a finger, banging your head, dropping something on your foot, spray painting your fingers, etc.. Don't bother, add $250 to what you paid and I will send a truck for it...

You can keep the hood, chrome quarter inserts, motor, and the garfield air freshener...

PS welcome and I am not kidding, I want it..

NICE FIND, THAT IS THE CAR, its screaming to be turned into a RT hemi clone, big block, 4 speed, c16, 500!!!

Thanks! This post made me literally bust out laughing. lol You wouldn't want the garfield air freshener? C'mon! lmao! Yeah, I would really like to do a clone! That would be seriously awesome and I really like the look of the RT hoods (I have one I could use) and the scoops, etc. It is a numbers matching car and is pretty untouched, so I fear that cloning it would maybe hurt its value some. But, it's a reversible procedure I suppose and YOLO so why not have what you want! :) I think I will have a long time to make up my mind on that.

I really like that interior colour. Mine is black, console, 318 auto with the "trailer package" ordered to tow a small travel trailer. It is being changed into non original and I've had many thoughts on clone or original with this year of car.

When I look at your car I wonder why they ordered these specific options, I can almost envision myself listening to the buyer explaining why he wants it this way and the sales person saying "well why not just order the R/T or Super Bee".

My thoughts are now if it is an R/T or Super Bee it almost demands a proper original restoration, But this one is so unique with the desirable engine, transmission and shifter I have to say original. I don't think I have ever seen on just like yours. Very cool in every way!

great find proud Papa! Clean her up and see if she runs and moves first, might as well try and get a few miles before the tear down. Nothing worse then "the anticipation of the road" when you're prized possesion sits in pieces for years on end! I have a 55 Belair AND a 69 Coronet in stages of refurbish in my garage and watch the summers go by without a chance to crank em up. Great project and happy building to you. Mocajava

I really like that interior colour. Mine is black, console, 318 auto with the "trailer package" ordered to tow a small travel trailer. It is being changed into non original and I've had many thoughts on clone or original with this year of car.

When I look at your car I wonder why they ordered these specific options, I can almost envision myself listening to the buyer explaining why he wants it this way and the sales person saying "well why not just order the R/T or Super Bee".

My thoughts are now if it is an R/T or Super Bee it almost demands a proper original restoration, But this one is so unique with the desirable engine, transmission and shifter I have to say original. I don't think I have ever seen on just like yours. Very cool in every way!

Yeah, I'd like to keep the original colors for sure. It is pretty unique. I've been told the 383 4bbl with the 4 speed was definitely a special order option like you say. Which is why the production numbers go down so low I suppose. It also has a tow package. It seemed very odd for a car like this, but okay. I should say, I did buy this car from my dad who has had it just about forever. He wasnt the original owner though. He worked at a dodge dealership down in Oklahoma and bought the car from them. I believe in the early 80's. So, it's an Oklahoma car (last registered). It was stored in a semi trailer for EVER. I finally convinced him to sell it to me, although he will be fully involved in the restoration as well. He always imagined it would stay original because of how unique it was. I just love the look of the super bees so much, so its hard. I dont think I would change the motor though knowing it's the original. Thanks for the comments!

- - - Updated - - -

great find proud Papa! Clean her up and see if she runs and moves first, might as well try and get a few miles before the tear down. Nothing worse then "the anticipation of the road" when you're prized possesion sits in pieces for years on end! I have a 55 Belair AND a 69 Coronet in stages of refurbish in my garage and watch the summers go by without a chance to crank em up. Great project and happy building to you. Mocajava

Thanks! It does actually run. I have video of it running too :) Sounds great as well. The gas lines are shot (all gummed up I am sure), but it runs if I funnel gas direct into the carb. lol Maybe I can rig something up gravity feed style under the hood. Although, the breaks arent the best.. Unfortunately, I think it sat too long :(

Thanks! This post made me literally bust out laughing. lol You wouldn't want the garfield air freshener? C'mon! lmao! Yeah, I would really like to do a clone! That would be seriously awesome and I really like the look of the RT hoods (I have one I could use) and the scoops, etc. It is a numbers matching car and is pretty untouched, so I fear that cloning it would maybe hurt its value some. But, it's a reversible procedure I suppose and YOLO so why not have what you want! :) I think I will have a long time to make up my mind on that.

lol, OK so if your not going to sell it to me, here is what I would do.

Now sure the car is rare'ish, I have only seen 1 other 500 big block convertible {not sure if it had a/c but I would guess it would have}. But since there are 2 reasons to keep a car original, lts take a look at them.

First reason of course is preservation/sentiment, if the car was special to you, being your first ride in a convertible was in the twin to it or it belonged to you for a long time etc, then sure don't change it. If you are worried about the car staying original because they are almost extinct then no clone for you.

2- VALUE, most cars are worth more restored to original spec. ALTHOUGH this is a really thin line and getting thinner by the day.

For example- 1970 chevelle malibu, a restored bone stock low mile (say 50K documented 1 owner) malibu is worth about $15-20K, that same car with an SS grille and badging, bucket seats, console, some mags, etc will bring $30K+... AND THEY ARE A DIME A DOZEN, Ill be there are more chevelle SS's now then they made!!!!

OK, so now take your car specifically, if it were mine (and maybe you will change your mind and sell it to me, I have not given up hope, lol)...

I would restore it to this car almost exactly
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0508-65952/0/1970-Dodge-Hemi-Coronet-R/-Convertible/

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEc21i-i7o

colors, engine, seats, (except I would do 4spd of course) that is my DREAM car, now since I dont have a million and a half to spend on a car and that one is not for sale, lol being the only one in the world I will someday build one...

A hemi crate engine, 18 spline 4 spd, dana 60, side scoops, some badges, ram charger, hood, plus of course all the normal stuff like seat covers, top, carpet, etc etc etc.

Now lets compare the cars values..

A- a stock resto- cost about $25K to complete, car will be worth about $55K done.

B- Hemi R/T clone- cost about $50K to complete, car will be worth about $150K, I had a conversation with a couple mopar guys about building a clone, the consensus was that done right that car would bring between $150-$250K...

So say you were doing this just as a resale venture. Invest the car + 25 to get 55 for a profit of $30K (minus the car cost) or invest the car plus 55 for a profit $100K (minus the cost of the car)...

I know a gentleman that paid over $110K for a hemi non convertible clone (car is really nice)...

So anyway, the days of original is worth the money are going away, I never thought I would see the day a 70 charger v code car restored to original nice and fresh would be worth half of what the same car with a new fuel injected crate engine, disc brakes, lowering kit, leather seats, built in gps navigation, and viper metal flake paint is worth...

I am doing my 70 super bee now, its a real v code car, concole, n96 package with a dana, all #'s matching but I am changing stuff so the car is mine, sure its staying a 440-6, 4spd, and I like ev2 so the same color, but I am going to put a beep beep horn (or maybe a pair of them), a custom steering wheel, 70' charger seats, aluminum radiator, flow master mufflers, and arm rests with no ash trays, will the car be worth more all original or how I am doing it??? I think it will bee' too close to call...

Anyway, good luck, like i said I am in the middle of mine right now, if you have any questions or some parts I may have let me know... Hey maybe we can work some sort of trade out, I have a nice 70 hardtop bee, V-code calling your name, lol...

PS Another good thing about not going original, is much less BS, back ground checks, colostomy, having to give Govier a hand job in the handi-capped stall of an Arby's ladies room to get him to say your car is "good". Screw that, when I sold my 32' vicky, the guy came with a 800 $100 bills in bank binders and I wrote him a bill of sale on notebook paper, gave him the instructions on the electronic door poppers, the warranty for the ram jet, and about 50 pictures of the car as it was being done...

I sold an original 70' aluminum big block chevy car that I personally restored, and new the second owner who was related to the original owner and the guy broght a lawyer with him, wanted to put the money in escrow until they verified the authenticity and blah blah blah...

ANYWAY, PM me for my contact info, if the car is ever for sale I would like a shot at it...

I have a nice 39' ford tudor hot rod, shaved handles, leather, a/c, yellow, all steel, needs about a week of work to be finished...

If its a one of 18 mopar looks solid and they are only original once then keep it as such broski

If its money you want the money is in the original cars nowadays. Just look at the classifieds on this very site.....ebag.....mecum.....barrett....moparts....craigs.....etc

Wow!
Great car!
Truly a RARE car!
Great color combo!
A 4-speed pistol grip convertible!
Awesome dude!

Congratulations man, you scored!

Welcome aboard and thanks for joining the forum

Blast from the past.....my high school ride. Even the same color outside, but a black interior.

Auto Transport Service
Back